Lombardi punched the hat stealer?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Watching something on NFLN now, it is about playoffs..

They showed the Ice Bowl but as the players are running off the field, they show a guy steal Lombardi's had he was wearing.

Vince chased him down, and "appeared" to hit him in the face and got his hat back.

They didnt really go into details about it though.

Anyone else see this, or hear of this?

1st time I have

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw something on the nfl network about it, might have been the same thing. Basically he chased down the guy who took his hat and jacked him in the face right? Hilarious

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I'd heard about him getting into a confrontation once, with someone grabbing him or some such thing (and his response) - don't think I knew about the hat though. Maybe it was a less-detailed description of the same incident.

Can you imagine that happening today?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd heard about him getting into a confrontation once, with someone grabbing him or some such thing (and his response) - don't think I knew about the hat though. Maybe it was a less-detailed description of the same incident.

Can you imagine that happening today?
Smash him in the face with the Lombardi trophy?
Lawsuits galore?
Twitter and YouTube and other viral sources. GIF videos.
No doubt fines.
A coach can't even get away with cursing out a fan even if the fan is the first one being disrespectful.

I don't blame him or anyone else for punching some guy for stealing a hat.
You just don't do that.
Especially to Coach.

Mike Ditka was the other coach who assaulted fans but that was with his chewing gum.
It was made into a big deal to the point where lawsuits were filed.
Just over a *** of gum!
I wouldn't have liked it either but I probably would just shrug it off and then sell the gum on ebay.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They showed this in the NFL "greatest playoff" games show. even had scattered footage of it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is additional footage where Vince is attending a post-game party and described the event to Marie and others. It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure that he told the group that he got into a fight and hit the guy for stealing his hat.

Meules37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, just came across this thread. The guy Lombardi punched (well, attempted to punch) was my dad. My dad got onto the Packers sideline during their final drive. After the game, he walked past Lombardi and tried to grab his hat and run. There was an equipment guy carrying a bag of balls right next to Lombardi and saw the whole thing, and grabbed my dad. Lombardi took a swing and missed, grabbed his hat, and walked off the field. Afterwards my dad told the story to his brothers and friends, but no one believed him. Then two days later, the Milwaukee Sentinel ran a picture showing the altercation, with the caption, "Hats off to Lombardi". If only my dad would've gotten away with it...priceless piece of memorabilia.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

READ POST # 9, THIS THREAD!!!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, just came across this thread. The guy Lombardi punched (well, attempted to punch) was my dad. My dad got onto the Packers sideline during their final drive. After the game, he walked past Lombardi and tried to grab his hat and run. There was an equipment guy carrying a bag of balls right next to Lombardi and saw the whole thing, and grabbed my dad. Lombardi took a swing and missed, grabbed his hat, and walked off the field. Afterwards my dad told the story to his brothers and friends, but no one believed him. Then two days later, the Milwaukee Sentinel ran a picture showing the altercation, with the caption, "Hats off to Lombardi". If only my dad would've gotten away with it...priceless piece of memorabilia.
So your Dad was a thief (or at least tried to be a thief) and he once tried to steal from Lombardi, a man revered almost universally by Packer fans. Your Father's action so infuriated Lombardi that Lombardi tried to punch him. And now you have posted here, a Packer Forum, with an air of pride. Did I get all that correctly?

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So your Dad was a thief (or at least tried to be a thief) and he once tried to steal from Lombardi, a man revered almost universally by Packer fans. Your Father's action so infuriated Lombardi that Lombardi tried to punch him. And now you have posted here, a Packer Forum, with an air of pride. Did I get all that correctly?

i think you misread his post. it actually translates to lies, bs, bs, bs, lies, bs bs and bs.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think you misread his post. it actually translates to lies, bs, bs, bs, lies, bs bs and bs.
Well, what's next? We'll see if he starts bragging how his mom did the defensive line in 1971; or his brother graffittied the mens room at the last game; or that his Uncle had sex with Devine's dog (after it was shot); etc.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Did he just make an account to post that? :p At least Lombardi got it back. Could you imagine if something like that happened today, the PR mess, the replays, the week before the superbowl would be buzzing so much, and it wouldn't get let go. Then the guy would probably get a hat and an apology from the head coach. Though I don't think Lombardi would of apologized.

Meules37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wanted to clarify and give details to what happened. Obviously things are different these days than they were 45 years ago, nowadays people can't even get near coaches with all the security around the coaches following games. I'm sure Lombardi wasn't "infuriated" by what happened, the punch was just the way off life back then, take care of yourself, don't rely on others to take care of things for you. People are right, if something like this happens nowadays, it's HUGE news, back then, it wasn't. Considering the Milwaukee Sentinel didn't mention it for two days, shows how different things were back then. http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...8,613846&dq=lombardi+hat+g:locmilwaukee&hl=en

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It was a classless move in any era - nothing to be proud of IMO.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classless....jeez, I bet that 75% of us might have done the same thing in our teens/early 20s. Passing judgement on this guy's dad at this point might be the classless move. I think that we all need to step down off of our mantles.

Packy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
S
Classless....jeez, I bet that 75% of us might have done the same thing in our teens/early 20s. Passing judgement on this guy's dad at this point might be the classless move. I think that we all need to step down off of our mantles.

OK I stepped off my mantle and my judgement is that the guy was still classless. Only nowadays, where there is no accountability, the guy would have turned it around and made it seem like it was all Lombardi's fault. The ACLU, media, and the lawyers would have a field day.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Taking a firm stand against theft is classless? Wow. If you think 75% of Packers fans would have attempted to steal his hat, IMO you have a very dim view of Packers fans. I didn't have the opportunity, but I can honestly tell you what my instinct in that circumstance would have been: To offer Lombardi my hand for a handshake or to repeatedly pat him on the back. BTW, how often to you steal articles of clothing from others, famous of otherwise?

Members online

Latest posts