Lockout in 2011?

packerfan191

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all of the talk about there being an NFL lockout in 2011, I was just wondering what everyone thinks will happen.

Tecmo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to think of an NFL without a salary cap. The Cowboys and Redskins will battle for the conference championship every year. It will be like Yankees/Red Sox. Parity is one the reasons the league is successful. I can't see any good coming out of this, especially for the Packers.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, what he's talking about is a year WITHOUT NFL Football.

My view is that it won't happen.

After the 82' season, I doubt the owners AND the players will want to lose that kind of money.

It's a + billion dollar industry, and merely one month away from it would cost both parts dearly, let alone one whole year...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to think of an NFL without a salary cap. The Cowboys and Redskins will battle for the conference championship every year. It will be like Yankees/Red Sox. Parity is one the reasons the league is successful. I can't see any good coming out of this, especially for the Packers.

There's barely any good unrestricted FA's.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

I think this is way over blown. While I think that it is better with a cap, for obvious reasons, I think the Packers would survive and actually have a chance to do well without a cap. The teams that would get wiped out or that would be in trouble are the ones from the smaller markets with cheap owners. You are right that the Cowboys and Redskins of the world would always be at the top of the revenue heap BUT, I think the Packers would always be in the middle and be able to compete.

The Packers have several advantages that would allow them to compete with no cap.

1.) No owner. Here is where this becomes an advantage. 100% of profits go into funding the organization and team. Not one penny goes back into the pocket of an owner.

2.) Team is community owned. As long as the Packers are still the darlings of the NFL and are allowed to operate with slightly different rules, if the league wanted them to survive in times of trouble they could always take donations from the public in the form of stock sales. Remember, the converse to #1 above is that our team has THOUSANDS of owners and many more thousand potential "owners" who love their team and would be willing to step up and but a piece of paper for a few hundred bucks.

3.) Lambeau Field and future developments. Many people do not realize this but the Packers either own or have the rights to purchase several acres of land immediately surrounding Lambeau Field where houses currently are and where K-Mart currently is. That would/could be used for Packer owned hotels, restaurants, theme parks, stores, etc... All to generate revenue for the Green Bay Packers. In the future, this will become huge.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is such a lockout I feel sorry for those college kids who were planning on taking the next step. No Nfl probably means no draft so those seniors coming out of college will be out of football and a career for a whole year.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
If there is such a lockout I feel sorry for those college kids who were planning on taking the next step. No Nfl probably means no draft so those seniors coming out of college will be out of football and a career for a whole year.

You mean they'd need to put their college degrees to use and get real jobs like the rest of us and wait a whole extra year to get rich playing a game? Damn, I wish I had that problem... LOL

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all of the talk about there being an NFL lockout in 2011, I was just wondering what everyone thinks will happen.

I hope there IS a lockout because much like the the 1960's and 1970's when America's production went into the toilet because of union corruption, we need another wake-up call to get people's heads outta their *****.

Unions are inherently corrupt and unnecessary and ultimately destroy that which they supposedly try to help. All unions accomplish are legacy costs and eventual unemployment. It's been happening since the founding of unions, yet the supposed "intellectuals" of this once great country aren't smart enough to figure it out. How tragic is that???

I hope there's a lockout and Brett Favre heads a group of scabs to take the current NFL player's places an does things the old fashioned way - an honest day's pay for an honest day's work and in the end, everybody is happy.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I hope there's a lockout and Brett Favre heads a group of scabs to take the current NFL player's places an does things the old fashioned way - an honest day's pay for an honest day's work and in the end, everybody is happy.

Brett Favre acting like he is bigger than an organization? Never happen... /heavy sarcasm

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre acting like he is bigger than an organization? Never happen... /heavy sarcasm

Funny, but I'll betcha dollars to donuts that the majority of fans wouldn't mind "settling" for watching Brett Favre head a team of scabs with players that maybe don't play now, but can, or those who want no part of the player's corrupt union.

You never hear Favre whine about money - he basically accepts what the market says he's worth. He "understands" basic economics at a fundamental level - that 60% of others do not.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon, Hausch. Majority of fans?

We've been through this before... I have really no idea what you're trying to accomplish here.

I don't believe you believe that the majority of people in this forum likes Brett Favre, so you like the constant contradictions and semi-offenses, which is basically trolling.

After the NFCC game, you saw the response 95% of this forum had...

Instead of trying to convince everyone that Favre has Jesus' blood lineage, why don't you do something more productive, say, to prosecute the NFL regardless the missed calls in the NFCC game?

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
C'mon, Hausch. Majority of fans?

We've been through this before... I have really no idea what you're trying to accomplish here.

I don't believe you believe that the majority of people in this forum likes Brett Favre, so you like the constant contradictions and semi-offenses, which is basically trolling.

After the NFCC game, you saw the response 95% of this forum had...

Instead of trying to convince everyone that Favre has Jesus' blood lineage, why don't you do something more productive, say, to prosecute the NFL regardless the missed calls in the NFCC game?
Hausboy is a troll? Come on, his takes seem so fresh, accurate and insightful.

Thing is, this is a a PACKER sight where the overwhelming (and that is an understatement) majority of us are PACKER fans. These days, being a PACKER fan and a brINTfarr fan is pretty mutually exclusive. He'd have better luck convincing people of the validity of his pro favre opinions over on that brINTfarr knob slobbing web sight. He must understand that clearly obvious point, which leads to the conclusion that he is here for no reason other than to be a pain in the *** - aka trolling.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm at least glad you guys didn't argue that unions aren't corrupt and a sad waste of time and people's money.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lockout would really suck for the Packers since I expect that would be one of out prime years to compete for the Super Bowl.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
A lockout would really suck for the Packers since I expect that would be one of out prime years to compete for the Super Bowl.

That is one of big downers. If your team sucks it is an extra year to regroup. If your team is a contender it is a wasted year in your window of opportunity - like putting all of your chips on a 40 year old QB.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm at least glad you guys didn't argue that unions aren't corrupt and a sad waste of time and people's money.
My personal view is that usually union leaders, and active members, don't have the qualification/drive to perform well in their jobs, but have the political skills to earn money another way...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts