Linebackers

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see everyone has their picks for the d line and the secondary but what about the bread and butter of the defense? I was just wondering who you guys think will be at LB Should Barnett play middle or strong side and what about that Brady Poppinga is he the real deal or just a smoke blower? I know when he got drafted they said he was a hard hitter. Can any of you guys up there in the promise land tell me anything about this guy? Maybe we still have time to get Hardy Nickerson in camp (just kidding)

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there are any plans to move Barnett within the organization. He hasn't practiced at anything but MLB. The biggest question and variable might be whether or not Manning keeps bringing it for the rest of the preseason and if Bates if comfortable with him going into the season.

The LBs definitely have the biggest question marks surrounding them as a group. Heck, it's hard to figure out if they are going to keep 5 or 6 at this point.

My best guess (6):

WSLB - Manning, Thompson
MLB - Barnett, Lenon
SSLB - Diggs, Poppinga

I'm not a Lenon fan but since they've been moving Manning through all three positions. He's the only one back there behind Barnet.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manning has looked good but lets see how he does in pre-season game 3 and 4 when the first string is playing. He is mostly playing against college level talent at this point. I still believe Thompson will make the final roster and Navies will be cut.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GBXU said:
I don't think there are any plans to move Barnett within the organization. He hasn't practiced at anything but MLB. The biggest question and variable might be whether or not Manning keeps bringing it for the rest of the preseason and if Bates if comfortable with him going into the season.

The LBs definitely have the biggest question marks surrounding them as a group. Heck, it's hard to figure out if they are going to keep 5 or 6 at this point.

My best guess (6):

WSLB - Manning, Thompson
MLB - Barnett, Lenon
SSLB - Diggs, Poppinga

I'm not a Lenon fan but since they've been moving Manning through all three positions. He's the only one back there behind Barnet.

Here is how I see it:

Barnett starts at MLB
Thompson WSLB OR Navies SSLB, makes team and starts (the other will be released)
Diggs at SSLB or WSLB depending upon outcome above
Lenon the top backup
Manning
Poppinga (if he can get healthy -- if not Navies and Thompson make team)

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say Barnett and Mike, with Manning as a backup, Diggs at Sam, with Poppinga as backup, and Thomson at Will, with Lenon as backup, due primarily to his exceptional special teams play. Navies is the odd man out in my scenario.

I don't think Barnett is a WLB. His main difficulty is shedding blockers and overunning plays. I think this difficulty would be more problematic without 2 DTs directly in front of him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mine

MLB - Barnett
SLB- Diggs
WLB - ?????????????? at camp, they say Lenon is doing well..Thompson is here for a reason....Navies is doing ok. No idea. Thats why there is more than 1 preseason game.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big question at LB is who is going to be healthy? Right now many of them are nursing injuries and in and out of practice. Going into the first game it may not be who is the best at each LB position, but who are the healthiest three.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on then game I saw vs. Chargers, I'd say Navies and Diggs both missed a couple assignments. Neither looked particularly good.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
MLB - Barnett, Manning (May start at Wil for a couple of games)
Wil - Thompson,Navies
Buck - Diggs, Poppinga

Campbell on IR.
Lenon will be cut.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our linebackers and am hoping they get to make more plays in this defense. I'm surprised how many people think Navies will get cut, or might get cut. I think he's having a good preseason. Maybe I'm missing something. Lenon is a good special teams player and a decent backup, while Poppinga and Manning have each shown potential. That leaves the veteran Thompson as the odd man out. Here's how I see it:

Navies, Barnett, and Diggs return as starters, but with Navies and Diggs switching sides from last year. Lenon, Poppinga, and Manning are the backups and special teams maniacs. Whichever one looks best in practice will be the top backup regardless of who gets injured, even if it means reshuffling the lineup to fit him in. Lenon has the inside track at being that guy, but either Poppinga or Manning will pass him up at some point during the season.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
MLB - Barnett, Manning (May start at Wil for a couple of games)
Wil - Thompson,Navies
Buck - Diggs, Poppinga

Campbell on IR.
Lenon will be cut.

I agree with everything except Lenon. Think he will hold on to a rostrr spot as a back up and a good special teamer.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
The big question at LB is who is going to be healthy? Right now many of them are nursing injuries and in and out of practice. Going into the first game it may not be who is the best at each LB position, but who are the healthiest three.

Thanks for Hunter Hillenmeyer.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Lare said:

Thanks for Hunter Hillenmeyer.

No problem Phil...and thank you for starting the season with Chad Hutchinson! :p

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Roy Manning to start sometime this season. He's been very consistent and next to Barnett, he is probably right behind in speed. I like the route he's come to the NFL b/c you know he's hungry. I'm rooting for him to start along with Barnett and Diggs.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I like our linebackers and am hoping they get to make more plays in this defense...

Good analysis. I still think LB is the weakest position on the team after Diggs and Barnett. I think Thompson will stick around because he'll fit into Bates system at some point because of his quickness.
I really don't think Navies is anything but a back-up. We REALLY need to upgrade there. In the end though, I think the odd man out will be Poppinga, but we won't cut him. He'll get stashed on IR with some mysterious injury so we don't lose him. Lenon is too good on ST right now. The only way I see Poppinga sticking on the team is if he shows some pass rush ability, but he better get on it cause time is running out.

Members online

Latest posts