Let the speculation begin...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with the offseason already in full throttle I thought it would be nice to put all of our guesses on who will and who won't wear the green and gold next year all into one thread. So to set it off, NFL.com reports that Joey Porter is making a case to leave Miami. He told Jim Rome on his show today that no matter how much the dolphins pay him he won't be happy with it. He wants to be traded period.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Dolphins LB Porter requests trade on TV

So where do we come in? Should the packers try to get a guy like Joey Porter? He is already a 3-4 OLB and would be great opposite Matthews. Oh yeah and here's the part TT is gonna love the most, his contract is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Kampman's if we were to resign him.

Porter is slated to make above $4-5 million next year.
Compare to Kampman 1 year offer/tag $8 million.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Peppers' agent said he's not going back to Carolina.

God, we don't talk a lot. Frankly it's because it's always a sort of one sided conversation. It's like talking to a wall. That's neither here nor there, though. Please, please bring Julius Peppers to the Packers. The sooner, the better. Thanks, big guy. ;)

:lol:

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers' agent said he's not going back to Carolina.

God, we don't talk a lot. Frankly it's because it's always a sort of one sided conversation. It's like talking to a wall. That's neither here nor there, though. Please, please bring Julius Peppers to the Packers. The sooner, the better. Thanks, big guy. ;)

:lol:

While Peppers is tempting, I believe Porter has a better chance to be on our team. Peppers will have to grow into a 3-4 defense whereas Porter is already there. Porter does however have some baggage concerns.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'd be happy with either or. I just think Thompson isn't going to give up one of his precious draft picks in a trade, so if I had to pick which is more probable, it's the guy who he can just sign in free agency.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true but how long will Peppers last in free agency? 4 or maybe 5 days max. I think getting porter fits Thompson's overall personality:

1) You can get a solid veteran for a low draft pick (i doubt anything higher than a 2nd rounder will be required)

2) CheapER salary than most free agents this season

3) Would be a good person to learn how to play as 3-4 OLB, Jones and Matthews will greatly benefit from this. TT can always dump him once this is complete.

4) Capers was the D-coordinator for the dolphins when Porter was signed. The two still have connections with each other.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how much Porter will add. And with him, there IS a locker room problem. He was benched this year for taking plays off. And that concerns me. Coupled with his age, I wouldn't touch if, unless he's really, really cheap.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I don't know how much Porter will add. And with him, there IS a locker room problem. He was benched this year for taking plays off. And that concerns me. Coupled with his age, I wouldn't touch if, unless he's really, really cheap.
Joey Porter requests trade | ProFootballTalk.com

"Tony Sparano's coaching staff is sick of Porter refusing to come off the field when told."

Just what we need, another favre... LOL

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you can explain this to me, but what is the obsession over every single free agent to hit the market? I've seen several of you guys get excited over Shawne Merriman, Julius Peppers and Joey Porter? Do you really think they would be *that* much of an upgrade to our existing core, or are you just wanting TT to do something for the sake of doing something?

Free agency doesn't instantly mean we're going to be better, and frankly, I don't want any of these guys. Merriman hasn't been the same since he got off the roids, both Peppers and Porter have tendencies to take plays off and Porter is an *******. Besides, we have a pretty solid core of players at those positions now. I don't really see any of these guys being that much of an upgrade, certainly not for the money they'll be demanding.

To be honest, I like TT's free agency mantra. He goes after guys he knows we need and gets maximum value for them. Charles Woodson, Ryan Grant, Ryan Pickett, Brandon Chillar... All solid free agents TT has picked up over the years.

Besides, you don't need to be super active and chase your tail in free agency to field a good, solid team year after year. When was the last time the Colts, Ravens, Chargers or Steelers made big splashes in free agency? These are solid, competitive teams each and every year and they do it without breaking the bank in free agency every single year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you can explain this to me, but what is the obsession over every single free agent to hit the market? I've seen several of you guys get excited over Shawne Merriman, Julius Peppers and Joey Porter? Do you really think they would be *that* much of an upgrade to our existing core, or are you just wanting TT to do something for the sake of doing something?

Free agency doesn't instantly mean we're going to be better, and frankly, I don't want any of these guys. Merriman hasn't been the same since he got off the roids, both Peppers and Porter have tendencies to take plays off and Porter is an *******. Besides, we have a pretty solid core of players at those positions now. I don't really see any of these guys being that much of an upgrade, certainly not for the money they'll be demanding.

To be honest, I like TT's free agency mantra. He goes after guys he knows we need and gets maximum value for them. Charles Woodson, Ryan Grant, Ryan Pickett, Brandon Chillar... All solid free agents TT has picked up over the years.

Besides, you don't need to be super active and chase your tail in free agency to field a good, solid team year after year. When was the last time the Colts, Ravens, Chargers or Steelers made big splashes in free agency? These are solid, competitive teams each and every year and they do it without breaking the bank in free agency every single year.
Most probably know we're not going to be big players in FA...

However, to say that those guys wouldn't add much... They'de be at least very good additions to our team.

The analogy with those teams is a good one. And we know TT will only add players for maximum value.

But those teams have an above normal hit percentage in the draft... And the likes of Justin Harrell and Brian Brohm don't allow us to solely build through the draft IMHO...

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

These teams continually draft STARTERS in the first and second round. Fun little fact for you... THOSE TEAMS HAVE TWO ROOKIES TOGETHER THAT STARTED ON THEIR OFFENSIVE LINES... I am so sick of people rationalizing TT's tightwadness by saying to look at other teams. I honestly don't think we will get any of those free agents, but why can't we talk about them? Why can't we compare and contrast. Seriously, just be a lurker if you don't like what we discuss.

And the other thing I am sick of is this... NFL players are all going to have some amount of ego. Burnt Fart had an ego... did any of us care to see it or know about it until after he left??? The Packers aren't perfect, but they keep stuff in house. Jess said it best earlier... the Packers have had some of the nightmare PR guys too, but they make it work. I swear that Packer farts must smell like flowers to some people.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In TT's own words, "You are always looking to improve your team at any position".

Yes you look at Merriman, Peppers, and Porter. It comes down to skill/talent and at what cost. You honetly think TT has not spent hours and days thinking of senarios just like this to decide if this could benefit the Packers?

IMO if we can get Porter for 2 million less than we are paying Hawk, I think we go for it. Porter's attitude will change on a winning team, just like some of the attitudes of our own players were going when we were 4-4, then we had the jesus meeting.

Cut Poppinga (making 3 million) and add Porter for an additional 1.5 to 2 million makes sense to me and add depth to the position in a late round pick like Brad Jones.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we shouldn't bother with free agency at all. Just seems most fans want TT to do something for the sake of doing something rather than being smart and disciplined about it.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we shouldn't bother with free agency at all. Just seems most fans want TT to do something for the sake of doing something rather than being smart and disciplined about it.

I understand what you are saying by being smart about it, there is not unlimited money like the federal gov't and fans are slow to take into account the financial side of the NFL.

Thats why I think Peppers is not even an option due to the price, not sure what Merriman's price tag is, but the baggage (steroids/women) he brings is kind of on the scale of a Michael Vick, though I believe hitting women is far worse than cruelty to animals.

Though most people fail to recognized that the federal gov't sent Vick to jail for illegal gambling, the state never pursued charges on the cruelty to the animals.

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has not been a time to add a big free agent until now. Excues the Woodson because that dropped into TT's lap. I think this is the year he spends and Peppers could be the Reggie White of this team.I thik we can make room for both under a moving cap. When Refggie came to town everything changed. It wasn't overnight but he gutted it out to then end commanding doubles every play. Peppers would radically change the D. It might mean Kampy takes a hike which I'm willing to do. 8 million for an average outside linebacker is a bit steep INMHO. The question is peppers better than Kampy with his hand on the ground or up. We know thwe answer for Kampy it's Peppers we don't.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word on the street is Denver's Elvis Dumervile is available. You want a 3-4 linebacker who a) can play and b) has no currently known character issues, I'd pick that guy.

Merriman and Porter have character issues and Peppers has shown hes a guy who plays for a contract, not whistle to whistle. He was mostly a non-factor all season long until someone finally got in his face. Not really the kind of guy I want on my squad, you know?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Word on the street is Denver's Elvis Dumervile is available. You want a 3-4 linebacker who a) can play and b) has no currently known character issues, I'd pick that guy.

Merriman and Porter have character issues and Peppers has shown hes a guy who plays for a contract, not whistle to whistle. He was mostly a non-factor all season long until someone finally got in his face. Not really the kind of guy I want on my squad, you know?
When did he show that? He has averaged, since the start of his career, 10 sacks a season. That's not a guy having a really good year when his contract is up, that's undeniable consistency.

The Peppers to Packers rumors have officially started:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/338156-latest-rumor-julius-peppers-to-the-green-bay-packers

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When did he show that? He has averaged, since the start of his career, 10 sacks a season. That's not a guy having a really good year when his contract is up, that's undeniable consistency.

The Peppers to Packers rumors have officially started:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/338156-latest-rumor-julius-peppers-to-the-green-bay-packers

Yeah, I see what you're saying and stand corrected. I just remember this year he got called out by his teammates for not playing hard, which kind of soured me on the guy

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with the offseason already in full throttle I thought it would be nice to put all of our guesses on who will and who won't wear the green and gold next year all into one thread. So to set it off, NFL.com reports that Joey Porter is making a case to leave Miami. He told Jim Rome on his show today that no matter how much the dolphins pay him he won't be happy with it. He wants to be traded period.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Dolphins LB Porter requests trade on TV

So where do we come in? Should the packers try to get a guy like Joey Porter? He is already a 3-4 OLB and would be great opposite Matthews. Oh yeah and here's the part TT is gonna love the most, his contract is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Kampman's if we were to resign him.

Porter is slated to make above $4-5 million next year.
Compare to Kampman 1 year offer/tag $8 million.

Another over-hyped, expensive linebacker is the last thing we need.

O-line - safety - CB...that's what I'd focus on.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think Porter sounds a lot better than Peppers. Porter would be cheaper, and we already know how much of a difference maker he is.

I would really like to see TT pursue a trade for Porter...though I highly doubt he would.

Members online

Latest posts