Left Tackle: Who will protect the blind side ?

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Who will protect our MVP Quarterback's blind side at Left Tackle this year ? Will it be Marshall Newhouse, or Derek Sherrod, or Andrew Datko, or maybe my choice Bryan Bulaga ? Bulaga was drafted to fill Chad Clifton's shoes. He now has the experience to step into the spot. Newhouse would do better at the Right Tackle position. What do you think ?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My guesstimate is Bulaga stays put and Newhouse holds of Sherrod's challenge until about mid-season unless injuries derail the plan.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season: Newhouse...down the road I really love the Datko kid. Watched video, interviews and looked up stats...he's got the skill, drive and physical build...just waiting to see how his will and body holds up.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse, and I don't believe it's as close as people think. The coaching staff is high on him after showing steady improvement last season, and they've liked what he's shown in OTA's this season.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Newhouse. He may be the guy but he has a lot to prove. I've heard the coaching staff say in other instances they are high on a guy and he doesn't pan out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse is going to be given that chance to prove it though I believe...if he fails, it could spiral the whole OL into a flux we don't want to see. I say if Newhouse doesn't work you got to consider moving Bulaga over to the tougher of the two T positions unless they feel Sherrod or Datko are ready (doubtful this year IMO)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season I'd say it's Newhouse, for sure. If Sherrod were healthy, I'd say he's the guy. But I don't see him being ready for camp, so I suppose he'll be ready to compete for a spot in 2013.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse. Bulaga is becoming a super-star right tackle. Keeping him on the same side as Sitton helps the run game, so leave him over there. And Newhouse isn't as good of a run blocker. He's a more prototypical left side dancer, just like Clifton was.

Could Newhouse have played better last year? Of course! But look at his career so far:

2010: Rookie. 5th round pick. Only active for 2 (?) games. Didn't play an offensive snap.

2011 Offseason: What offseason? LOCK OUT.

2011 Season: Lacking an offseason, still improves significantly and beats out the 1st round pick to be the 3rd tackle when camp breaks.

Could he fall on his face? Yup. Could he have reached his ceiling? Yup. But I wouldn't be afraid to bet on him succeeding based on his history.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope Sherrod is the long-term answer because his upside should be higher than Newhouse's but that's all based on potential before his leg injury. If he can fully recover and take over at LT, Newhouse would be a great swing man to have in reserve for either OT spot. From what we've heard, it sounds like the staff think Bulaga will approach pro bowl play at RT and they want to leave him there.

In the end I don't care who starts at LT as long as he can protect Rodgers consistently. My concern is that wasn't Newhouse last season. I've quoted this before, this is from McGinn's season-ending grades column:
He played 692 snaps at LT, 145 at RT and 15 at RG for 76.7% playing time after not playing a down as a rookie. The numbers weren't pretty. The 10½ sacks allowed by Newhouse were part of his total of 41½ pressures, twice as many as anyone else and more than any Packers O-lineman has had in the last 13 years. He also gave up the second-most bad runs with 14½.
It was the first year he played from scrimmage in the NFL so we should see significant improvement. My point is he really needs to improve.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse or maybe Bulaga or Sherrod. You bring up a point from last season that is still nagging at me. I almost think our O-Line (LT, RT, LG, RG) is more important or as important as the defense. Protecting Rodgers has got to be at the top of the list. I didn't like what I saw last year with our O-Line. It frightened me even more than our defense being ranked last. I understand it was unavoidable with injuries but the idea of LTs, RTs, LGs, and RGs being shuffled around from position to position in the middle of a game is alarming.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitten, I hear you, but I can't place any of the blame on Bulaga, Sitton, Wells, or Lang for that. For the most part, they were all excellent. I think responsibility rests squarely on Newhouse's shoulders. He was asked to fill a huge pair of shoes, and I think he did OK, based on the preparation he had (see meadtke66's post). I think they're betting on him to make huge strides this year.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not blaming it on any one player or group of players, sorry if it seems I implied that. I was referring to the situation, which of course is not the players fault. They did the best they could of given the situation and you are right many of them stood up. But, going into the season, we had better hope these issues are resolved. We can't do anything about injuries happening but we can make sure our backups are solid and ready to go in the event something happens. Again, I'm not saying Bulaga, Sitton, Wells, or Lang did a bad job, I'm just saying I would of preferred a little more organization. Changing up O-Line positions in the middle of a game with players who have never played at that position is a recipe for disaster. There wasn't much we could of done differently but now I would hope we are better prepared should that situation happen again.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Sherrod is the long-term answer because his upside should be higher than Newhouse's but that's all based on potential before his leg injury. If he can fully recover and take over at LT, Newhouse would be a great swing man to have in reserve for either OT spot. From what we've heard, it sounds like the staff think Bulaga will approach pro bowl play at RT and they want to leave him there.

In the end I don't care who starts at LT as long as he can protect Rodgers consistently. My concern is that wasn't Newhouse last season. I've quoted this before, this is from McGinn's season-ending grades column: It was the first year he played from scrimmage in the NFL so we should see significant improvement. My point is he really needs to improve.

I'll give you an agree and a agree. We are on the same page.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Newhouse, and I don't believe it's as close as people think. The coaching staff is high on him after showing steady improvement last season, and they've liked what he's shown in OTA's this season.
You are correct, sir. Though I don't much like it. Bulaga will NEVER move, and that is something everyone has to get straight. I haven't liked Newhouse, personally I think he should move to guard, but with Rodgers' endorsement, and Sherrod's injury (for which he is at fault) combined with the experience he racked up due to said injury, there is no way he is not starting. Barring injury, neither Sherrod, nor Datko, nor the longshot Allard, will ever see the field. Which is a crying shame. Forgive my pleas for injuries, but Sherrod will likely end up on another team as the starting left tackle and an infinitely better player than Newhouse in 3-5 years. And it won't be the fault of our front office, but rather one injury during a rookie year. Sherrod starting would put Rodgers in too much jeopardy so our loss will be another's gain.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think Newhouse ends up at guard. They did the same basic experiment with him that they did with Sherrod. Short version--terrible guard, just like Sherrod. Some people just don't have the body or the right brain to play inside or outside.

Look at Whale. He was drafted as a tackle but his best position was guard. Why? He wasn't patient enough and wanted to take off heads. That made for a terrible NFL tackle, but it turns out that works great for a pulling guard...

In an ideal situation, Sherrod and Newhouse both make huge strides and are 2 of the best linemen on the team. As they are both 'tackle-only' people, we kick Bulaga inside. Anyone know if Sitton, Bulaga, or Lang can snap?

CheeseHead87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In an ideal situation, Sherrod and Newhouse both make huge strides and are 2 of the best linemen on the team. As they are both 'tackle-only' people, we kick Bulaga inside. Anyone know if Sitton, Bulaga, or Lang can snap?

I remember Kiper saying on draft day that he thought that Bulaga would be best suited on the interior line. I'm just not convinced that both Sherrod and Newhouse are ready to start at tackle. I'll guess that Newhouse starts at LT and Bulaga stays on the right side.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, that was pre-draft. The Packers tried it, it didn't work. He will almost certainly stay at tackle now.

When did they try it??? He may have made a cameo appearance at guard but I don't know of any extended stint at the position? Help me out here.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Bulaga isn't going anyplace. I think the battle is Newhouse/Sherrod/Datko. I really, really like the idea of Datko sitting patiently in case of an injury in the meantime he is mending. I have a feeling we will be happy we got Datko when we did some day. Nice insurance if he can heal completely.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Larry, go straight and cut left at the Pontiac.
Curly, you block.
OK, on two.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When did they try it??? He may have made a cameo appearance at guard but I don't know of any extended stint at the position? Help me out here.

They tried it his rookie year, to start camp. He switched FROM guard the last week or so of the pre-season which saved his spot on the roster. His performance was rather dismal and matched Sherrod's performance so closely, (ie, terrible) that I swear the articles about Sherrod struggling at guard were little more than a copy-paste-replace from the commentary on Newhouse the year before.

Members online

Latest posts