LB Ahmad Brooks to the Packers

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Called this scenario in the spring on this forum in the 2017 Pass Rush thread.

*Pats own shoulder proudly*...

Wish the Niners would have cut him sooner-like before TC started-but hey, either way I'll take it. We needed this signing point blank. Maybe we can add another rusher in the next week also...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Called this scenario in the spring on this forum in the 2017 Pass Rush thread.

*Pats own shoulder proudly*...

Wish the Niners would have cut him sooner-like before TC started-but hey, either way I'll take it. We needed this signing point blank. Maybe we can add another rusher in the next week also...

www.packerforum.com/threads/pass-rush-in-2017.73053/page-5#

Well mate, I guess we just disagree then. Like I just said, it's a moot point unless we get Dumervil AND Brooks. We need both. If Ted is rolling with the linebacker core as is going into the season, I am essentially already going to not expect a Super Bowl run. It'll be just like all these past years-the story of the GB Packers in 2017 will be battling a brutal schedule/injuries/being the "perennial big dogs" to right the ship in time to capture another divisional crown. Then we'll limp/scrape our way into the playoffs and ultimately get smoked by a team like Dallas/Atlanta/Carolina. The two most important things in the NFL? 1) Get a QB 2) GET 2 the QB. We got the QB, but if we don't add Dumervil and Brooks to our roster, I don't believe we will be able to get to the QB enough to be a real Super Bowl contender. Which is sad tbh, because our offense will prolly look magical at times this year, and the young DB unit just might shore up to give us a Top 5-10 pass defense.
I will give you props for Brooks, but according to you, we needed to get Dummerville as well to be successful.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I did say both.

Martinez and Ryan are decent ILBs, but I think there would be enough snaps for them even if Clay was moved inside permanently. I'd see Ryan as Big Mike-1st/2nd down/base personnel MLB. Blake is Little Mike-3rd down/nickel personnel MLB. Then you've got Joe for Dime, when Morgan replaces Clay and you can literally move #52 all over the field.

We need to sign Elvis. Like now. The more he is out there, the more I worry he will go back to the Ravens for a lower price.

And as for Brooks, yes-he is under contract with San Fran, but for just one more year and is one of those potential cuts you see of a veteran to save coin/make room for the new kids on the block. The more I look at the 49ers roster after the draft the more I see them letting Brooks go. If they do, we better snatch him up-FAST.

Unfortunately, 49ers grabbed Dumervil early. But they let go of Brooks late, so we got one piece. Ironically from the same team.

Signing Brooks still gives me hope that we can have a good pass rush/successful season. Yes, I have optimism now LoL!

Also, now I'm starting to think that maybe Trader Ted was hoarding so much cap space not just for potential in-season contract extensions, but to go outlet shopping around this time. When teams are getting down to 53 from 90 and there is an abundance of possible talent to be had for a "reasonable price".

I'd like to still see two free agent additions to the OLB unit. The other guy could be a Jarvis Jones, or Barkevious Mingo. It sounds like both may be available soon. If we add another pass rusher I will be very pleased...

Reaction score
lol.... that was my point exactly.... While I respect your right to an opinion, I didn't find it very persuasive because even though you spent a very long time laying a foundation, once you finally stated your opinion, you gave me no reasons why Spriggs was so different than the examples you cited.

Incidentally, devastating your world was not my intention lol , and while I cannot cite any other reasons than my gut, I fear you may be right about Spriggs.
well crap, my bad. It's so hard to read tone on the internet and I so often fall prey to presuming malicious intent by remembering nothing but the trolls and forgetting that most people are just talking.

Yeah, I did a poor job of fleshing out my idea on that one - was at work trying to sneak in a final few comments before heading home. My main point was that the guys listed actually showed potential once they were on the team, and that the calls to cut them were over-reactions to temporary setbacks in some cases, and in the face of actual improvement in other cases. The outlier of course is Jones, but he ended up having a monster season despite all odds (I guess that's just the Rodgers effect, eh?). In comparrison to that, Spriggs was drafted as a raw prospect who started off by showing little form and now shows little ability - thus, he has done little but get worse. Granted, that has changed slightly over the second half of the preseason, but he still looks awful .

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In comparrison to that, Spriggs was drafted as a raw prospect who started off by showing little form and now shows little ability - thus, he has done little but get worse. Granted, that has changed slightly over the second half of the preseason, but he still looks awful .
Sometimes young guys need to take 1 step backwards in order to take 2 forwards if they're trying a new (to them) technique or process. My optimistic $.02.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Spriggs was drafted as a raw prospect

although it appears that may be the case now, I don't agree with that when he was drafted. Most scouts had him highly rated as well as pretty much a sure thing in the NFL. Few non top 10 picks and even some of them, are ready to go right out of the gates, but Spriggs wasn't considered "raw".

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I did say both.

Unfortunately, 49ers grabbed Dumervil early. But they let go of Brooks late, so we got one piece. Ironically from the same team.

Signing Brooks still gives me hope that we can have a good pass rush/successful season. Yes, I have optimism now LoL!

Also, now I'm starting to think that maybe Trader Ted was hoarding so much cap space not just for potential in-season contract extensions, but to go outlet shopping around this time. When teams are getting down to 53 from 90 and there is an abundance of possible talent to be had for a "reasonable price".

I'd like to still see two free agent additions to the OLB unit. The other guy could be a Jarvis Jones, or Barkevious Mingo. It sounds like both may be available soon. If we add another pass rusher I will be very pleased...
Why pay a lot when you can see later where your players are in development and pay less if you need to?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
although it appears that may be the case now, I don't agree with that when he was drafted. Most scouts had him highly rated as well as pretty much a sure thing in the NFL. Few non top 10 picks and even some of them, are ready to go right out of the gates, but Spriggs wasn't considered "raw".
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-jason-spriggs-ot-indiana

My recollection, he had some work to do. This says lack of upper strength, but my thoughts are just being better with his hands. Punch and keep defenders away from his body.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night's 4th preseason game Fackrell had a holding penalty on a kickoff return (I think in 2nd half) and Zook stormed the sidelines looking for him. I'm just guessing but I think Fackrell is in GB's long range plans otherwise Zook wouldn't have worried about addressing it with Fackrell. My guess is he's on tomorrow's 53 along with Elliott, Gilbert, Brooks, CM3 & Perry.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Last night's 4th preseason game Fackrell had a holding penalty on a kickoff return (I think in 2nd half) and Zook stormed the sidelines looking for him. I'm just guessing but I think Fackrell is in GB's long range plans otherwise Zook wouldn't have worried about addressing it with Fackrell. My guess is he's on tomorrow's 53 along with Elliott, Gilbert, Brooks, CM3 & Perry.

Good observation and conclusion. Guessing the staff had their minds made up on most of the 53 guys before last night's game and used the game to decide between "this guy or that guy" for a few of the spots as well as their top picks for the 10 on the PS.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes young guys need to take 1 step backwards in order to take 2 forwards if they're trying a new (to them) technique or process. My optimistic $.02.

I still say they messed with Spriggs' head by training him at several positions. I understand in theory why they do that but IMO some players just need to learn 1 position.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know wr're looking at cuts, but I'm wondering about any trades brewing. Like guys buried on depth charts who we can get cheap.
Like a certain RB we picked up from the Giants 10,11 years ago.

Reaction score
This signing is very classic TT, good value for a solid player. The $ was very similar to the Guion signing from MN 4 years ago, except during that acquisition of him and Peppers it happened much earlier in the year. If we get an equivalent production to that signing minus the legal trouble...this could go down as one of the better moves TT made this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, he was a released player, thus does not count against whatever CP's the Packers will have next year. CP's I believe are accumulated or lost during the FA process in the winter/spring, when a player's contract expires and he does not resign with his old team, but with another team. There is also a cutoff date for that to count (May 12th maybe?)

Absolutely correct. FWIW the cutoff date has currently been moved to the second Tuesday after the draft.

on a thread related note, did Brooks actually sign yet? everyone is talking like it's a done deal and last night in the broadcast they floated a little ticker across the bottom that he hasnt' officially signed a contract yet?

According to the NFL transactions wire Brooks hasn't signed with the Packers so far. It's probable the team will officially announce the move today with all the cuts to get down to 53.

Why pay a lot when you can see later where your players are in development and pay less if you need to?

While it might be cheaper to sign veteran players close to the start of the season there's some backlash to it as well as it will take time for them to learn a new system in a heartbeat.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any other impact veteran players available?
This Brooks move seems to be perfect example of how a weakness can become a strength with one player added.
I'd still like to see Revis added.

D

Deleted member 6794

Any other impact veteran players available?
This Brooks move seems to be perfect example of how a weakness can become a strength with one player added.
I'd still like to see Revis added.

While it was definitely a smart move by Thompson to sign Brooks I don't consider the outside linebacker position to be a strength entering this season by any means. Just let it go with Revis.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have officially announced the signing of Brooks. In a surprising move the team placed Don Barclay on injured reserve to make room for him.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers have officially announced the signing of Brooks. In a surprising move the team placed Don Barclay on injured reserve to make room for him.
Called it, if only hypothetically.
Barclay could still be IRd along with Adams. Ted kept 2 other C/Gs instead of one. This tells me Barclay could be out a while, especially if, as someone noted elsewhere, he is still using the scooter for his leg.
Damn, wrenched my shoulder trying to pat myself on the back.

Staff online

Latest posts