LB Ahmad Brooks to the Packers

H

HardRightEdge

NY Jets. I'll be surprised if there are 30k fans at both Buffalo/Jets games as they battle for the bottom.
Can we move to the AFC East? ;) I noticed Edelman is out for the year. We could go head to head early and worst case get in as a wildcard.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
OL depth is a concern for most teams in the league. I think it gets overly hyped every year. Starters are starters for a reason just as backups are backups for a reason. We have a pretty good track record of coaching OL'men up so that gives me a little comfort.
Plus, all of our current backups except Barclay are young and still developing. There are always some position group vulnerability scenarios. It goes with the territory in a 32 team league, 16 game season and 53 man roster. I think I'll probably feel comfortable with our 53 man roster. The future also looks very bright with 11 more draft picks heading our way. Things look good from this angle.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sad but true. If we can get 16 games
Out of Matthews, and at least 8 sacks I'd be ok with that at his current salary . All that means thomis that he'll get hurt in the playoffs haha

Since 2009, Matthews has started 13.38 regular season games/year. That doesn't include how many he has started, but has had to leave due to an injury. Unless, all the stars and Moons align, Matthews really can't be counted on to be a full time starter all season long. Nor can he give you a large snap count in those games he plays (46.26% last year) Pretty much goes for Perry too as far as games and snap counts (58.6%). The Brooks signing was huge IMO and unless they have a really positive spin on Biegel getting back (and being productive), as well as the other backups, I still wouldn't mind seeing them pick up one more OLB, because odds are pretty good, we will need more than just Perry, Matthews and Brooks throughout 16+ games.

I really don't expect much out of Biegel at this point for 2017.

D

Deleted member 6794

Plus, all of our current backups except Barclay are young and still developing.

That doesn't mean any of them will develop into a solid contributor if called upon this season. I would feel way more comfortable at least having a proven sixth offensive lineman.

Unless, all the stars and Moons align, Matthews really can't be counted on to be a full time starter all season long. Nor can he give you a large snap count in those games he plays (46.26% last year) Pretty much goes for Perry too as far as games and snap counts (58.6%).

Those numbers are calculated based on the percentage of the total defensive snaps of the entire regular season though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many were screaming 2 years ago to cut Davante Adams immediately, or T.J. Lange, who sucked his first 2 years? Who wanted to run James Jones out of town about 5 years ago? How many were begging for a replacement for Bahktiarri after his rookie year? Likely the same people wanting to cut Spriggs, and Fackrell right now. Given the salary cap, free agency, drafting late every year, and seeing that the whole system is set up for parity, it's amazing to make the playoffs 8 years straight. I think the Packers personnel people know better than we do how to run a football team in the NFL.

Other than Adams, I think the feeling was 'decent guy for where he was drafted', at least that's how I remember my thinking at the time(s). Regardless, how long does a player get to prove himself before it's OK to move on? Feel free it mitigate any way you want (position, draft status, injury, perceived improvement, et. al.). Given that all but the 1st rounders have a four year contract, there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room. Also, I think it was posted earlier, but do we need to go back and compose a "these guys were cut early and never amounted to anything, anywhere" or "these guys were kept around longer than we wanted them and never amounted to anything, anywhere" list to match your examples?

Looks like you're fairly new, but if you've frequented any Packer forum, I'm sure you've seen enough comments on the playoff streak, but just in case, the thinking of many is that (1) Rodgers at QB puts you in the playoffs, almost regardless and (2) playoff participation trophies (while necessary to qualify for the only one that counts) aren't terribly satisfying - yes, I'd rather have missed some playoff exits if there was another SB win or so.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Those numbers are calculated based on the percentage of the total defensive snaps of the entire regular season though.

Correct and I should have clarified that, thanks for pointing it out. For comparison, Von Miller played in 81% of the defensive snaps for the Broncos last year. Guess what I am still trying to say, neither Perry or Matthews alone are going to be enough and last year it took Peppers and Jones, along with Elliott and Fackrell to pick up the slack. Brooks definitely helps, but will he be enough? Guess we will wait and see.

D

Deleted member 6794

Correct and I should have clarified that, thanks for pointing it out. For comparison, Von Miller played in 81% of the defensive snaps for the Broncos last year. Guess what I am still trying to say, neither Perry or Matthews alone are going to be enough and last year it took Peppers and Jones, along with Elliott and Fackrell to pick up the slack. Brooks definitely helps, but will he be enough? Guess we will wait and see.

There's no doubt the Packers would hugely benefit from both Matthews and Perry being able to play a significantly higher amount of snaps this season. Unfortunately I'm not convinced that's going to happen though.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers would hugely benefit from both Matthews and Perry being able to play a significantly higher amount of snaps this season. Unfortunately I'm not convinced that's going to happen though.

Again, taxes, death, and a Matthews/Perry injury Haha

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

The Brooks pickup was significantly important for that very reason, but I still am left wondering if it will be enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Brooks pickup was significantly important for that very reason, but I still am left wondering if it will be enough.

I don't know either but let me put it this way, the Packers having signed Brooks makes me feel more comfortable about the outside linebacker position entering this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know either but let me put it this way, the Packers having signed Brooks makes me feel more comfortable about the outside linebacker position entering this season.

Agreed. I doubt we see another OLB picked up, unless we aren't getting the full story on Matthews, Perry and to some extent Biegel. At this point, I expect very little from Biegel in 2017, he has missed way too much time. I would actually be fine with it if they could (by the rules) IR him and see what happens. Which may very well happen after the PUP time frame is over.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. I doubt we see another OLB picked up, unless we aren't getting the full story on Matthews, Perry and to some extent Biegel. At this point, I expect very little from Biegel in 2017, he has missed way too much time. I would actually be fine with it if they could (by the rules) IR him and see what happens. Which may very well happen after the PUP time frame is over.

As I've mentioned earlier today I don't believe there's reason to be concerned about Matthews and Perry being available for the season opener. I agree that it seems the 2017 season will turn out to be a redshirt year for Biegel.

Reaction score
How many were screaming 2 years ago to cut Davante Adams immediately, or T.J. Lange, who sucked his first 2 years? Who wanted to run James Jones out of town about 5 years ago? How many were begging for a replacement for Bahktiarri after his rookie year? Likely the same people wanting to cut Spriggs, and Fackrell right now. Given the salary cap, free agency, drafting late every year, and seeing that the whole system is set up for parity, it's amazing to make the playoffs 8 years straight. I think the Packers personnel people know better than we do how to run a football team in the NFL.
I've seen a lot of this associative reasoning around lately. It's not necessary; you can simply say that he deserves more time without putting in the associations, but on the point of those associations, most of them are not valid.

-Adams had a really good rookie year. People were calling for his release during his second year and in the offseason before last year, but that was dumb because of the awesome potential he showed as a rookie.
-T.J. Lang was not drafted as highly as Spriggs (4th round) and thus did not have the protection via draft status yet and he also started right away and played well enough to stick around. He showed potential, but was thrown in raw and built his skill up from there.
-Jones was a veteran who had lost his step and was suffering from bad hands at the time that most people wanted him gone. He came back and was really good for a year (or was it two), but 1) he had already made the case for why he should be around earlier in his career, and 2) he came back cheap. As a veteran non top option, that's important.
-Bahk was fantastic his first year given that he was a rookie who started pretty quickly and never played poorly enough to lose his job. Granted, part of that was due to a lack of depth behind him, but part of that was also that he got better game over game to the point where he is now a franchise Tackle.

None of those guys correlate to Spriggs, who was drafted highly (easily too highly, but lets forget that) due to athleticism, and has quite literally regressed pretty much every minute he has been in the league. I dont like him, and I dont think he will develop, and I wish that we had literally anybody better to fill his spot on the depth chart. I would bet you money that if there were an injury that put Spriggs in a starting role the team would either find anyone else at FA or possibly even trade for a "good enough" tackle so that Spriggs didn't have to see the field. The only positive thing I can say about him is that last game he went from getting worse to just staying as bad as he was. He looked like MAYBE he might have some skill, instead of being a guy juicing in college and not juicing now, but what he isn't is in any way comparable to the guys you listed above.

golfman33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a football standpoint, this is a really good move by TT. Not sure if the guy is going to be a potential problem in the locker room or not. I hope not. He was a bit of a problem a few years back when his PT was being cut into and he let it be known in a somewhat public way. He's also got some other baggage. Hoping for the best.

As far as TT goes, he made a bold football move to give us a real chance this year. Quite the move into free agency this past year for a guy who was thought to avoid it like the plague.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Brooks will count against a compensatory pick

No, he was a released player, thus does not count against whatever CP's the Packers will have next year. CP's I believe are accumulated or lost during the FA process in the winter/spring, when a player's contract expires and he does not resign with his old team, but with another team. There is also a cutoff date for that to count (May 12th maybe?)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of this associative reasoning around lately. It's not necessary; you can simply say that he deserves more time without putting in the associations, but on the point of those associations, most of them are not valid.

-Adams had a really good rookie year. People were calling for his release during his second year and in the offseason before last year, but that was dumb because of the awesome potential he showed as a rookie.
-T.J. Lang was not drafted as highly as Spriggs (4th round) and thus did not have the protection via draft status yet and he also started right away and played well enough to stick around. He showed potential, but was thrown in raw and built his skill up from there.
-Jones was a veteran who had lost his step and was suffering from bad hands at the time that most people wanted him gone. He came back and was really good for a year (or was it two), but 1) he had already made the case for why he should be around earlier in his career, and 2) he came back cheap. As a veteran non top option, that's important.
-Bahk was fantastic his first year given that he was a rookie who started pretty quickly and never played poorly enough to lose his job. Granted, part of that was due to a lack of depth behind him, but part of that was also that he got better game over game to the point where he is now a franchise Tackle.

None of those guys correlate to Spriggs, who was drafted highly (easily too highly, but lets forget that) due to athleticism, and has quite literally regressed pretty much every minute he has been in the league. I dont like him, and I dont think he will develop, and I wish that we had literally anybody better to fill his spot on the depth chart. I would bet you money that if there were an injury that put Spriggs in a starting role the team would either find anyone else at FA or possibly even trade for a "good enough" tackle so that Spriggs didn't have to see the field. The only positive thing I can say about him is that last game he went from getting worse to just staying as bad as he was. He looked like MAYBE he might have some skill, instead of being a guy juicing in college and not juicing now, but what he isn't is in any way comparable to the guys you listed above.
I read your whole post and was a little bit amused at the way you listed a string of facts about several eventually successful Packer players, and then stated as fact that Spriggs does not fit that model. Other than saying that you don't like him, you really don't support your argument with any facts. I'm not sure what I think about Spriggs yet, but I think it's still too early to be so certain.

Reaction score
I read your whole post and was a little bit amused at the way you listed a string of facts about several eventually successful Packer players, and then stated as fact that Spriggs does not fit that model. Other than saying that you don't like him, you really don't support your argument with any facts. I'm not sure what I think about Spriggs yet, but I think it's still too early to be so certain.
writes opinion piece about associative reasoning
criticized for not putting facts in opinion piece
world devastated

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
writes opinion piece about associative reasoning
criticized for not putting facts in opinion piece
world devastated
lol.... that was my point exactly.... While I respect your right to an opinion, I didn't find it very persuasive because even though you spent a very long time laying a foundation, once you finally stated your opinion, you gave me no reasons why Spriggs was so different than the examples you cited.

Incidentally, devastating your world was not my intention lol , and while I cannot cite any other reasons than my gut, I fear you may be right about Spriggs.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs was ok again last night. You proabably wouldnt' know by listening to **** and Duff doing the broadcast. They make it sound like he can't do anything right and Murphy is flying past him on the depth chart. My eyes tell me it's opposite, but then later in the game they're going off on Gunter for 2 minutes about a penalty when I saw Reggie Gilbert come in and do the deed. and when they're wrong again in what they saw and report on, they never make mention again. ANyway, I think I dislike Gannon and Harlan as much as the Candidate dislikes Spriggs.

on a thread related note, did Brooks actually sign yet? everyone is talking like it's a done deal and last night in the broadcast they floated a little ticker across the bottom that he hasnt' officially signed a contract yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts