LaDarius Gunter another UDFA gem?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Stat that always impresses me the most and shows just how well the Packers front office and coaches know talent is the one you hear every once in awhile about how many current Packers have played for other teams. I don't have that number in front of me, but its like 3 or 4? (Peppers, Kuhn, Guion...??). The next closest team is always quite a few players away from that. So having the kind of success the Packers have had with "home grown talent" speaks volumes for the organization IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

And Ted hasn't done real well, in that regard, on the defensive side of the ball.

Well, Thompson selected a difference maker in Matthews during the first round of the 2009 draft. I agree that other than that he has mostly failed during the early rounds on the defensive side of the ball though.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Stat that always impresses me the most and shows just how well the Packers front office and coaches know talent is the one you hear every once in awhile about how many current Packers have played for other teams. I don't have that number in front of me, but its like 3 or 4? (Peppers, Kuhn, Guion...??). The next closest team is always quite a few players away from that. So having the kind of success the Packers have had with "home grown talent" speaks volumes for the organization IMO.

Currently the Packers have three guys on the roster who have played for other teams. Every other team has at least 16.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Currently the Packers have three guys on the roster who have played for other teams. Every other team has at least 16.

Thanks for looking it up Captain....That's the Stat I'm talking about....other teams have to be looking in at Green Bay and wondering how they do it. :barefoot:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Gunter hurt during his combine? If so then the Packets stole him! Otherwise if his 4.7 time in the 40 is legit then he will not be able to cover most of the receivers in the NFL and he will be a highlight reel for the other team. While he can probably cover the so called possession receivers, NFL coaches make their living exploiting match-ups. While Gunter has looked good so far it's pre- Season. Once the regular season begins the competition will improve and Gunter may not have the physical ability to be anything other than a human highlight reel for the other team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Was Gunter hurt during his combine? If so then the Packets stole him! Otherwise if his 4.7 time in the 40 is legit then he will not be able to cover most of the receivers in the NFL and he will be a highlight reel for the other team. While he can probably cover the so called possession receivers, NFL coaches make their living exploiting match-ups. While Gunter has looked good so far it's pre- Season. Once the regular season begins the competition will improve and Gunter may not have the physical ability to be anything other than a human highlight reel for the other team.

There's no doubt that Gunter doesn't possess top speed for the cornerback position. But so far he has done a great job in aggressive press coverage, not allowing the receiver to release into the desired route without committing any penalties. I want him to show that against top receivers as well before getting too excited about him but so far so good.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no doubt that Gunter doesn't possess top speed for the cornerback position. But so far he has done a great job in aggressive press coverage, not allowing the receiver to release into the desired route without committing any penalties. I want him to show that against top receivers as well before getting too excited about him but so far so good.
Given that a top flite QB wasn't under center and it was preseason I still would consider this a fair test from last weeks game:
Gunter battled Martavis Bryant most of the afternoon and held him to just one reception. The Miami (Fla.) alumnus broke up three passes, including a back-shoulder throw to Bryant near the goal line. For whatever Gunter lacks in speed, he makes up for with length and instincts.
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...t-tolzien-richard-rodgers-ladarius-gunter-nfl

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It was a good start but a way too small sample size to truly evaluate him.
Yep, throw him in against Philly early today and see what you truly got. They know that Randalls and Rollins are on the 53, Gunter is the one that needs to earn the spot this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yep, throw him in against Philly early today and see what you truly got. They know that Randalls and Rollins are on the 53, Gunter is the one that needs to earn the spot this season.

I'm pretty convinced Gunter will make the 53. I would like to see him vs. the Eagles starters today as well to figure out if he could be relied upon during the regular season as well.

Members online

Latest posts