Lacy to IR

Sky King

Reaction score
On most days I'm in it for the art and science of the game. There's nothing like a well played football game, win or lose, preferably win. But my interest is mostly on "well played".

For today, I'm in it for the comic relief. Or if I happen to drop dead, that total consciousness thing.
For me it has long been a pleasant diversion from the responsibilities for which I had been given direct control. Performing at a high level at all times was required. Recently, I retired for the second time. But sports was (and still is) entertainment.

I've also reached an age where three hours of my time devoted to anything constitutes too high of a percentage of what I may still have left. Thus, I've distilled my sporting interests down to following Packer football, only. One thing I refuse to do is to let a loss by the Packers -- an organization whose results I have utterly no control over whatsoever -- let me feel like I've lost, too. No depression, histrionics, or barking at my family and friends (as Packer surrogates) for me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like i'm watching a preseason game. I have no expectations, I just want to see how all the new guys are doing. I guess we'll find out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just never know. Keep a kid hungry enough and they come out of nowhere and excel. And sometimes they come out and show you why they've not gotten an opportunity yet, I'm hoping for the former :)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This feels a ton like 2010, except for one huge, unfortunate difference.

Despite everything else, we still had an elite QB back then.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) This is one circumstance I can actually see Lacy returning next year. If he can't get a good deal on the market, and we don't have better options, a one year 'prove it' deal ala Raji '14 and '15 might be attractive to both sides.

2) Starks is done. Now maybe he's not done this year, but there's not much reason to bring him back at his $3.75M cap hit next year. It was a strange and probably unnecessary contract extension in the first place for an aging backup RB.

3). Guess it's the Don Jackson show for now, we'll see what happens. I don't think any of us want to see significant carries for Montgomery and Cobb.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what do we have to say about runing our prize work horse with a bad ankle. Injuring it to the point of injured reserve.....

Crap.

Is this greenbays way of parting ways? Or maybe a way of keeping lacys value down until we can lock him in for another 3 or 4 years?

Any way this went down. I didnt expect him to go on ir... This sucks

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

This means one of them (Starks or Lacy) is done for the year.

As has been mentioned in this thread Starks hasn't been placed on injured reserve.

So, assuming everyone gets back to full health before the end of the season, who's your choice for the "designated to return" label? My gut says we need Shields back, but I'm concerned about his fragility. They say each concussion makes you more and more susceptible to another, and that seems pretty evident with Shields.

I expect Lacy to be the one coming back off injured reserve late this season. Unfortunately I believe Shields is done for good.

This feels a ton like 2010, except for one huge, unfortunate difference.

Despite everything else, we still had an elite QB back then.

Well, Rodgers currently has a higher passer rating (91.7) than after six games in 2010 (89.7).

I think it's highly likely we go after all skill positions in the first 3 rounds of next years draft.
CB, Wr, TE and RB would be my guesses.

Outside linebacker might end up being in dire need of an upgrade as well.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are very likely correct, but I am still hoping they find a way to re sign Perry. I know it will be expensive, and the Pack may not be able to afford it, but I'm optimistically hoping Ted can find a way to get it done.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As has been mentioned in this thread Starks hasn't been placed on injured reserve.

I expect Lacy to be the one coming back off injured reserve late this season. Unfortunately I believe Shields is done for good.

Well, Rodgers currently has a higher passer rating (91.7) than after six games in 2010 (89.7).

If they lock up Perry the position is fine. Plus Fackrell looks capable of getting more reps. I still think they draft OLB but i think we look good there.

D

Deleted member 6794

You are very likely correct, but I am still hoping they find a way to re sign Perry. I know it will be expensive, and the Pack may not be able to afford it, but I'm optimistically hoping Ted can find a way to get it done.

If they lock up Perry the position is fine. Plus Fackrell looks capable of getting more reps. I still think they draft OLB but i think we look good there.

There's absolutely no doubt that re-signing Perry is the top priority for the Packers before the start of free agency next year. The team currently has only two outside linebackers under contract for the 2017 season in Matthews and Fackrell though, therefore the position needs to be addressed in different ways as well.

Staff online

Latest posts