Kuhn and deep WR corps.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be the cheapest 1 year fix for the TE position. I dont hate RR or purillo, or backman. They all shown good stuff. But it seems people are looking for a Te that has the ability to stretch the field....We should look for one of those in the draft, for cost purposes... So this year we can draft a couple mid-late rounders, and maybe we get lucky?

Meanwhile we have 4 WRs that I believe NEED to be on the field... I know some here are against Adams right now. I say to that???????????????????????? Get a grip. Hold your words so you dont have to eat them later. IMO. Adams flashed #1 ability, and seemed to follow up each one with an injury. Last one RR fell on him. Just dang bad luck. And lets put into perspective that the dude is only 23 years old. Back the kid up and i think we will be suprised.
Montgomery looked like Sterling freaking Sharpe out there. Anyone who doesnt see star potential with him, doesnt know what they are looking at. Work in progress? Of course. But he has the wow factor, and its just a matter of time before he is breaking down defenses...
Nelson has put in his over time on his rehab. I suspect that with 3 young tallented WRs behind him, and his 10mil a year salary... He is very very motivated. And i believe, unless he has a reinjury, he will get "come back player of the year".
Cobb is another 10mil/year guy coming off an unfullfilling season. Something to prove? Maybe but maybe not. I think he thinks he does. Comes out, SHOULDER... limps through first half, and comes on at times. Disapearing at others? Gets hot at the end, and gets knocked out. Freak accident, but fact remains, we barely lost with #5 and #6 WR on the field the whole game. Cobb is probabally sick about that. And the gross drop before that, which led him to sacrifice the body right after that....

Could you claim the sky is falling at the WR position? sure. But you think its a good bet to predict this QB and WR corps will suck next year? lol bad bet man. Dont forget Janis and Abby still in the depths... Im still very very high on our WRs. I laugh at the people who discredit them. its crazy.

So in my estimation, our WRs are stacked deep. Our RB has potential to come back in shape, and ready to fly. Kuhn still produces. I say give him one more year. Tell him, ONE more year. Tell him he is going to play a lot, then play him a lot. Give the stud work horse one last good romp. He will rise to the occasion, and help get the crowd back into it. Give lacy some help getting on track early.... and cheap. Put our cap space into fixing something other than TE.

So play more 4 WR sets. More FB. and feed Lacy. Then the TE position, or lack of TE position, becomes less important. Never know? Rodgers could join ballet or yoga, and lose his freshman 15. Come back looking good. and another mid or late rounders will most likely net us a quality role player. And maybe if the stars and the tide is right. We can pull a gronk out of the depths of college football. or something of the sort.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Adams has ever flashed #1 ability, and last year was a complete disaster for him. I believe I saw he ranked 222 out of 223 WR's this past year. He was bad, really bad. It's on him to resurrect himself and no one else, much like Lacy.

As long as Jordy is healthy, I have no worries with him (nor should anyone else, the guy is a stud plain and simple). Ty is a guy I'm really excited about seeing come back healthy, and someone who I think could be a real difference maker for the Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think ILB, OLB depth and future, Oline depth and future, and Dline starters and depth will have bigger impacts on this team than spending big money on a FA TE.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think Adams has ever flashed #1 ability, and last year was a complete disaster for him. I believe I saw he ranked 222 out of 223 WR's this past year. He was bad, really bad. It's on him to resurrect himself and no one else, much like Lacy.

I agree with your take on Adams. FYI PFF had him graded 109th out of 121 wide receivers last season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jury is definitely out on Adams. I could see him filling in an improved James Jones role in this offense for a number of years, or I could see him being Boykin. I'm leaning towards the former. I think he turned a corner again last year after battling thru a lot physically and mentally, but 2 games later he was lost for the season again. So was he "back" or was this just another blip before the valley? If indeed he is "back", I don't think what he overcame in the midst of a season mentally can be easily dismissed and it should speak to his character. I like guys like that, if that's indeed what we were seeing.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers threw for only 3821 yds. lacy fell apart too. Adams wasnt the only one who struggled. Adams had 2 injuries. three actually, counting RR landing on him in playoffs. each time, he had a big game before hand. Mccarthy and Rodgers was pushing the ball his way. they obviously see something in him.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers threw for only 3821 yds. lacy fell apart too. Adams wasnt the only one who struggled. Adams had 2 injuries. three actually, counting RR landing on him in playoffs. each time, he had a big game before hand. Mccarthy and Rodgers was pushing the ball his way. they obviously see something in him.

Other than the TD vs. Dallas in the playoffs 2 years ago, name me one play where you watched him and thought, "that's a future #1 WR in the NFL." There isn't one that I can think of. Sure he's made a couple 1 handed catches but he by no means has flashed #1 ability for an extended period of time. Now, have injuries been the root cause of that? I don't know, Im sure it has a little to do with it but he's also dropped a lot of balls also that can't be traced back to injury.

I'm certainly not writing him off but he has ALOT of work to do.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So the Packers should use a formation with 4 WRs, Kuhn at FB and run Lacy? And RRodgers, Perillo, and Backman all "shown good stuff"? Check out Backman's stats for last season, they are pretty impressive. Perillo's too.

D

Deleted member 6794

Other than the TD vs. Dallas in the playoffs 2 years ago, name me one play where you watched him and thought, "that's a future #1 WR in the NFL." There isn't one that I can think of. Sure he's made a couple 1 handed catches but he by no means has flashed #1 ability for an extended period of time. Now, have injuries been the root cause of that? I don't know, Im sure it has a little to do with it but he's also dropped a lot of balls also that can't be traced back to injury.

I'm certainly not writing him off but he has ALOT of work to do.

While I agree that Adams hasn't flashed the potential to be a #1 receiver he had two games as a rookie (New England and Dallas) as well as a heads up play at Miami which made me believe he could turn into a decent #2 receiver opposite Nelson.

There's no denying he regressed last season for whatever reasons.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that Adams hasn't flashed the potential to be a #1 receiver he had two games as a rookie (New England and Dallas) as well as a heads up play at Miami which made me believe he could turn into a decent #2 receiver opposite Nelson.

There's no denying he regressed last season for whatever reasons.

You're right, he had a good game against New England I forgot about that. Point is, he's closer to being a P.S guy than he is a #1 WR right now. Not saying he can't right the ship but it's just the reality at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're right, he had a good game against New England I forgot about that. Point is, he's closer to being a P.S guy than he is a #1 WR right now. Not saying he can't right the ship but it's just the reality at this point.

I agree that he struggled last season but there aren't many practice squad receivers who will ever have a season with 50 receptions in the NFL, so that assessment is too harsh.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that he struggled last season but there aren't many practice squad receivers who will ever have a season with 50 receptions in the NFL, so that assessment is too harsh.

Jarrett Boykin had 49 receptions in 2013.

And I would venture a guess that if Jordy and Ty were healthy all year, not only does Davante not sniff 50 catches last year, furthermore I'll bet he isn't even "starting" mid way through the year. Again, I'm not saying he can't redeem himself, and I sincerely hope he does but I have my doubts.

D

Deleted member 6794

So the Packers should use a formation with 4 WRs, Kuhn at FB and run Lacy? And RRodgers, Perillo, and Backman all "shown good stuff"? Check out Backman's stats for last season, they are pretty impressive. Perillo's too.

Can you imagine any defense stopping the Packers offense if you factor in that we will line up in that formation with seven offensive linemen with two of them being receiving threats like an average tight end???

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be the cheapest 1 year fix for the TE position. I dont hate RR or purillo, or backman. They all shown good stuff. But it seems people are looking for a Te that has the ability to stretch the field....We should look for one of those in the draft, for cost purposes... So this year we can draft a couple mid-late rounders, and maybe we get lucky?

Meanwhile we have 4 WRs that I believe NEED to be on the field... I know some here are against Adams right now. I say to that???????????????????????? Get a grip. Hold your words so you dont have to eat them later. IMO. Adams flashed #1 ability, and seemed to follow up each one with an injury. Last one RR fell on him. Just dang bad luck. And lets put into perspective that the dude is only 23 years old. Back the kid up and i think we will be suprised.
Montgomery looked like Sterling freaking Sharpe out there. Anyone who doesnt see star potential with him, doesnt know what they are looking at. Work in progress? Of course. But he has the wow factor, and its just a matter of time before he is breaking down defenses...
Nelson has put in his over time on his rehab. I suspect that with 3 young tallented WRs behind him, and his 10mil a year salary... He is very very motivated. And i believe, unless he has a reinjury, he will get "come back player of the year".
Cobb is another 10mil/year guy coming off an unfullfilling season. Something to prove? Maybe but maybe not. I think he thinks he does. Comes out, SHOULDER... limps through first half, and comes on at times. Disapearing at others? Gets hot at the end, and gets knocked out. Freak accident, but fact remains, we barely lost with #5 and #6 WR on the field the whole game. Cobb is probabally sick about that. And the gross drop before that, which led him to sacrifice the body right after that....

Could you claim the sky is falling at the WR position? sure. But you think its a good bet to predict this QB and WR corps will suck next year? lol bad bet man. Dont forget Janis and Abby still in the depths... Im still very very high on our WRs. I laugh at the people who discredit them. its crazy.

So in my estimation, our WRs are stacked deep. Our RB has potential to come back in shape, and ready to fly. Kuhn still produces. I say give him one more year. Tell him, ONE more year. Tell him he is going to play a lot, then play him a lot. Give the stud work horse one last good romp. He will rise to the occasion, and help get the crowd back into it. Give lacy some help getting on track early.... and cheap. Put our cap space into fixing something other than TE.

So play more 4 WR sets. More FB. and feed Lacy. Then the TE position, or lack of TE position, becomes less important. Never know? Rodgers could join ballet or yoga, and lose his freshman 15. Come back looking good. and another mid or late rounders will most likely net us a quality role player. And maybe if the stars and the tide is right. We can pull a gronk out of the depths of college football. or something of the sort.

I had toyed with the thought that perhaps the Pack could move Janis to TE, he has a body-type not completely unlike Jermichael Finley's. Then I remembered how long it has been taking him just to learn the WR position, and asking him to learn something brand new doesn't sound like a good idea. Too bad - he could really pose a match-up nightmare for opposing defenses.

I'm all for getting the best athletes on the field, so experimenting with different sets is not a bad way to go. The Pack just brought in a new TE coach, who so far has a pretty good reputation. Perhaps he'll work some magic with what we already have, or perhaps someone new will be added. It definitely is something that needs to be addressed one way or another.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NE game was alright, but he left an easy TD on the field. I agree that he's wavered between average and downright atrocious during his first two seasons. There's got to be something to all of the praise he was receiving from Rodgers, and every now and then you see flashes of #1 WR attributes, but I see far more from him that should land him in the practice squad.

D

Deleted member 6794

NE game was alright, but he left an easy TD on the field. I agree that he's wavered between average and downright atrocious during his first two seasons. There's got to be something to all of the praise he was receiving from Rodgers, and every now and then you see flashes of #1 WR attributes, but I see far more from him that should land him in the practice squad.

Cut Adams some slack. The Packers offensive scheme is a tough one to figure out for a young receiver. I've said it repeatedly that his numbers over his first two years in the league are better than Nelson's were, fortunately the front office had patience with Jordy and hopefully it works out in a similar way with Davante.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut Adams some slack. The Packers offensive scheme is a tough one to figure out for a young receiver. I've said it repeatedly that his numbers over his first two years in the league are better than Nelson's were, fortunately the front office had patience with Jordy and hopefully it works out in a similar way with Davante.

100% agree with this

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Donald Driver caught 3 passes in his rookie season, 21 in his second, and 13 in his third. It would have been easy to give up on him, especially when you factor in his being a seventh-round pick. Patience can be a virtue.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarrett Boykin had 49 receptions in 2013.

And I would venture a guess that if Jordy and Ty were healthy all year, not only does Davante not sniff 50 catches last year, furthermore I'll bet he isn't even "starting" mid way through the year. Again, I'm not saying he can't redeem himself, and I sincerely hope he does but I have my doubts.
I think if Jordy and Ty were in, the pressure would have been off a lot of guys, including and early injured Adams, and he would have been given the time to heal and get back on the field and have a more steady growth into his future position. I think he'll be better going forward, but we'll all get to find out in the fall.

and GB would go 5 wides before converting a WR to a TE position. Let's face it, a TE that lines up and runs like a wide receiver is a wide receiver. I do not see any of our wide receivers being able to line in tight and function as a TE, not even a little bit.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I've said it repeatedly that his numbers over his first two years in the league are better than Nelson's were...
But that was a function of opportunity. According to the espn site linked below, Adams was targeted 73 times more than Nelson in their first two regular seasons. Nelson had a higher percentage of catches per targets, a higher average per catch and both scored 4 TDs. The biggest difference IMO during their first two seasons is Adams was asked to step in and be a starting WR in his second season and was not up to the job. Of course it's way too early to give up on Adams and I expect, just like the rest of the receiving corp, he'll be greatly helped by a healthy Nelson.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/gb

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But that was a function of opportunity. According to the espn site linked below, Adams was targeted 73 times more than Nelson in their first two regular seasons. Nelson had a higher percentage of catches per targets, a higher average per catch and both scored 4 TDs. The biggest difference IMO during their first two seasons is Adams was asked to step in and be a starting WR in his second season and was not up to the job. Of course it's way too early to give up on Adams and I expect, just like the rest of the receiving corp, he'll be greatly helped by a healthy Nelson.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/gb
That's why the comparison to Nelson isn't completely relevant. Compare their second seasons, Adams caught more balls and might have had fewer drops, but how many of those catches were bubble screens or short passes? Nelson had 5 more YPC, which leads me to believe that he was making more quality catches.

If drops were the only issue, I wouldn't be pessimistic. But he only seems to play hard when he wants to, puts himself before the team with stupid penalties, is stifled by press coverage and doesn't show an ounce of physicality, can't budge an inch from coverage, and Rodgers has a bad completion percentage when targeting him, because he doesn't have great size or speed nor shows the desire to get open to make up for it.

Quite frankly, if he is to be a #2 receiver, he's the most raw of any second year receiver I've ever seen. At least I saw effort out of Janis. I hope he is the one the organization is patient with, for I don't see them letting a second round pick fade into oblivion.

Sky King

Reaction score
Lots of good points made here, especially regarding Backman's impressive stats. Some fans may not fully appreciate that he did not drop one single pass last season. Not one. Nor did he fumble the ball, give up a sack, commit a penalty on offense, or lose yardage after the catch. Plus, we'll get to see that second-year "jump" this season that MM always talks about. ;)

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you imagine any defense stopping the Packers offense if you factor in that we will line up in that formation with seven offensive linemen with two of them being receiving threats like an average tight end???
Yea. And with your depth of insight. We already understand completely with no doubt, that they are in there for their threat as a receiver.... Not one word about how it would help lacy and protect rodgers. I even said skipping 6 olinemen and going straight to max protect, was extreme. It was a idea meant to open up the idea of going heavy on protection. Since rodgers is getting smeared with 5 and RR. Sooooo? Have anything productive to say?

D

Deleted member 6794

Yea. And with your depth of insight. We already understand completely with no doubt, that they are in there for their threat as a receiver.... Not one word about how it would help lacy and protect rodgers. I even said skipping 6 olinemen and going straight to max protect, was extreme. It was a idea meant to open up the idea of going heavy on protection. Since rodgers is getting smeared with 5 and RR. Sooooo? Have anything productive to say?

Absolutely agree that protection won't be an issue if the offense lines up with seven offensive linemen, four receivers, a fullback, Lacy and Rodgers. Those pesky five yard penalties for too many men on the field might hurt though.

Members online

Latest posts