Koren Robinson Hopes 2 Make Long Career n GB and Retire Here

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although he doesn't yet know the playbook and his knee is bothering him, Koren Robinson expects to suit up for the Green Bay Packers this weekend.

And barring more trouble off the field -- or consequences from previous incidents that keep him from playing football -- the former North Carolina State standout expects Sunday's game against New Orleans to be the first in a long career in Green Bay.

"The Green Bay Packers have given me the opportunity, and I'm going to try to make this my home," Robinson said. "I'm going to try to retire as a Green Bay Packer."

The talented wide receiver and kick returner was cut by the Minnesota Vikings last month, 10 days after being charged with drunken driving. He signed with the Packers earlier this week.

The team began slowly working him into the offense and on special teams in practice on Wednesday and Thursday.

"I might get a couple of snaps, I might not," Robinson said. "I might just cheer my team on from the sideline. But like I said, I'm in the playbook, trying to learn it, so I can come out there next Sunday, this Sunday, and do what I can do."

What Robinson can do on the field isn't in dispute. It's the potential off-the-field distractions that remain in question.

Robinson made the Pro Bowl as a kick returner last year and has proved to be a skilled receiver.

"I watched a lot of film on him," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "I watched every time he touched the ball last year, every time the ball was thrown to him last year. He's a very talented guy."

The Packers injury report listed Robinson as questionable with a knee injury on Thursday, but Robinson said any pain he is having in his knee comes from being away from football for a few weeks.

"I'm not worried about it," Robinson said. "It's not an issue or anything like that."

Special teams coordinator Mike Stock said that if Robinson is active Sunday, he'll line up at kick returner along with Robert Ferguson or Noah Herron.

However, Robinson said he is trying to learn the playbook as soon as possible so he can play on offense.

"I guess I just have to show and prove that I am a playmaker and can produce when I touch the ball," Robinson said. "But at the same time, I know I have to work my way into whatever position, whatever spot that I'm going to be in."

Jagodzinski said Robinson is familiar with the style of offense Green Bay runs after his stints in Seattle and Minnesota, but he will need time to learn the specific terminology the Packers use.

"He's very familiar with the system because he was with Mike (Holmgren) up in Seattle and he's been in the Minnesota deal, which is very similar in the terminology and all that," Jagodzinski said. "So I don't think it should be too hard for him."

Robinson is likely to face court hearings in two different states next month -- one for his most recent drunken driving charges in Minnesota, and another hearing in Washington to determine whether he has violated the probation he was issued after he pled guilty to DUI in 2005.

After facing tough questions from the media at his introduction in Green Bay on Sunday, he said he doesn't want to address his off-the-field issues.

"I'm just trying to play ball," Robinson said. "Like I said, I don't want to talk about all that other stuff. Like if you want to talk about football, all of that, then I'm fine to do that. But all that, man, I'm going to leave that in the past, move it in the past. And like I said, I just want to get a chance to play football."

I Hope he gets over his problem and does make a long and good career in GB because who doesnt want to retire as a packer. The man is trying to get over his problem but it is proving a bigger challenge then expected.And Please do not proceed to bash this guy because yes we have already heard what you will probably say.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Koren Robinson Hopes 2 Make Long Career n GB and Retire

Hopefully he can get through his ordeal okay as well. As been said many times before, he was never a problem in a locker room. I think he is grateful to get a second chance to play after getting such a bad rap. Even if it is the Pack. This guy is a Pro bowler, and as the article says, he has had similar systems with Holmgren and Minnesota. I am happy with this pickup.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
He could be retiring this year for all we know :(

I hope this kid gets punished for his actions. Then I hope he learns from his mistakes and can be a stud player for the Packers in 07.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Nice contract clause here.

Newly signed Koren Robinson appears set to return kickoffs Sunday. "He practiced and we're going to have him ready," McCarthy said. Robinson had a sore knee when the Packers signed him, and they have an injury clause in his contract so they don't have to pay him for any game he can't play because of that pre-existing injury. …

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score

well if he can get his lifew together which seems like he wants to do and if he can leave his off field problems at the door i wish him luck we do need help and if he can do kick returns or whatever works for me :D

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There may be lots of other reasons why Koren drinks. Is it his family life? If so, there is nothing GB can do about that. Does his wife rail on him or encourage him? What makes him go out in public to drink? Has he never heard about having a beer at home? I used to drink a lot when I was his age but my family became my sobering influence. The Packers, as a group, are his best influence I believe. He's saying all the right things up to now. May the Lord help him overcome his weakness. He could well be the Packers best acquisition this year...and next year, too. I can't recall my wanting a player to succeed as much as Koren Robinson. He has a long life ahead of him. May he make good use of it!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score

retiredgrampa said:
There may be lots of other reasons why Koren drinks. Is it his family life? If so, there is nothing GB can do about that. Does his wife rail on him or encourage him? What makes him go out in public to drink? Has he never heard about having a beer at home? I used to drink a lot when I was his age but my family became my sobering influence. The Packers, as a group, are his best influence I believe. He's saying all the right things up to now. May the Lord help him overcome his weakness. He could well be the Packers best acquisition this year...and next year, too. I can't recall my wanting a player to succeed as much as Koren Robinson. He has a long life ahead of him. May he make good use of it!

This is why I like you a lot Grampa, have a nice day..

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if he does make a long career it'll be a good start in finding a proven WR to play next to Driver. Imagine, Robinson, Driver, and Jennings as a trio next season or even in 2 seasons. That's pretty solid. We'll see though. It's a wait and see. I'm sure he can do some good things for us but remember he did a lot of good things for Minnesota and look what happen. So he'll need to remain clean for at least 2 years before I forget about his past. Until then GB needs to keep a close eye on him.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least I think playing alongside a guy like Driver will be a good influence on him. Hopefully they can build up a good friendship and that could be what Koren needs. At least I got no problems with his attitude and he seems hard to dislike

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said the team is working to prevent WR Koren Robinson from having another alcohol-related relapse. He did not say specifically what the team's support was, but it is believed AA and counseling are a daily part of it.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerLegend said:
Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said the team is working to prevent WR Koren Robinson from having another alcohol-related relapse. He did not say specifically what the team's support was, but it is believed AA and counseling are a daily part of it.

The Green Bay Babysitters

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pyledriver80 said:
PackerLegend said:

The Green Bay Babysitters

If they can get it to work I'd be happy.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm actually elated hearing his interviews. He seems like he wants to be here. If everyone had that positive of an attitude, we'd be doing a lot better.

I know Jennings will compliment Driver in the future, but hoping Robinson will compliment Driver now. Driver's best year arguably was '04 (he had similar catches, similar yardage, but 9 TDs as opposed to only 5 last year). Walker took all the heat off Driver, and nowadays, we're seeing Driver double or even triple covered.

I'm not going to comment about the alcoholism thing. Let the courts decide that. I just want to talk football.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zombieslayer said:
I'm actually elated hearing his interviews. He seems like he wants to be here. If everyone had that positive of an attitude, we'd be doing a lot better.

I know Jennings will compliment Driver in the future, but hoping Robinson will compliment Driver now. Driver's best year arguably was '04 (he had similar catches, similar yardage, but 9 TDs as opposed to only 5 last year). Walker took all the heat off Driver, and nowadays, we're seeing Driver double or even triple covered.

I'm not going to comment about the alcoholism thing. Let the courts decide that. I just want to talk football.

I don't expect him to come in a be a solid WR. He gives us a little help there but Koren is really inconsistent catching the ball. He does give us a deep threat however.

He is most valuable as a KR

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pyledriver80 said:
I don't expect him to come in a be a solid WR. He gives us a little help there but Koren is really inconsistent catching the ball. He does give us a deep threat however.

He is most valuable as a KR

I'll take a deep threat and a KR. Driver and Ferguson for short routes, Jennings for slants and medium routes, Koren for deep. Sounds good to me. :)

Members online

Latest posts