Kinda Sucks sitting around watching all these teams buy players!

Wills29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's not TT's philosophy to spend money on Free Agents, but this week sucks seeing all the headlines being made by other teams, especially the Bears. I know nothing is won in March, but it sure would be fun to talk about the Packers making a big splash and signing a stud. Guess we'll just wait until next month and hope TT does he magic in the later rounds of the Draft. :tup:

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
After watching the Eagles get way overhyped and being considered probably the best team in the league before taking the field, I am fine with other teams that don't normally get hype receive it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's not TT's philosophy to spend money on Free Agents, but this week sucks seeing all the headlines being made by other teams, especially the Bears. I know nothing is won in March, but it sure would be fun to talk about the Packers making a big splash and signing a stud. Guess we'll just wait until next month and hope TT does he magic in the later rounds of the Draft. :tup:
Who needs that? We got far more interesting things to discuss - or did you miss IVO's thread on plates?

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/packers-plates.35422/

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

This is too funny, I was thinking about posting almost the exact same thing earlier today. In TT I trust but it would be cool to hear a little "Packers" talk.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought a thread like this would been done yesterday...

When will people understand and EXPECT it to be very quiet during f/a in GB???

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyways ... it's been quiet free agency this year ... You still got the top 2 best available players still on the market ... Mario & Manning ... TT never spends more then he needs to on Free Agency unless there's a major need and that FA could be beneficial for the team.

Parts which we need upgrade OLB - Center - Safety - DL ...

Nothing exciting on the d-line in FA ... except maybe if we get a trade for Freeney & Mario Williams which will be impossible to sign him for the deal his looking for.

OLB ... I mean they are some decent ones out there but nothing that would blow my mind away ... rather go for a kid from the draft.

Center ... might be the only one I'm really interested in going with a veteran player Myers would be an amazing pick up.

Safety ... Landry is interesting ... but there's always that but.

Now what I would like to see is ... Sign Myers, Sign Brandon Jacobs as my 2nd HB & draft as much as defensive talent in the draft that's available to you & keep praying that Collins will return.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take silence in March over failure during the season. The Packers just had two of the best season you could ever have - winning the Super Bowl in one and going almost undefeated in the other. That was a lot of great Packer football to watch. All of it was set up by TT staying out of the over-paid, over-hyped free agent market and drafting good players. Heck, I trust TT so much that I'd let him bathe my wife!

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree with the Packer philosophy when it comes to free agency and I love the way we draft and develop talent, but part of me wishes we were like the Patriots, who go out and get the under the radar, sometimes washed up players: the Brain Waters, Andre Carter, or more recently, a guy I was rooting the Packers would pick up Jonathan Fanene.
Oh well...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...you mean like the Charles Woodsons, the Ryan Picketts, the Ryan Grants?

It's fine to say that we should concentrate on getting those guys, but it's not like there is just a pool of them out there to pluck from. The very nature of this is that it's the rare player that slips through the cracks. Yes they are out there, but you have to be confident that whatever flaws that soured other teams are not a concern for you, and that this player is a good fit for your team. So you have a small pool of these players and then their foot needs to fit in the slipper as well!

There are downsides, like getting Haynesworth and NOT having it work out. The door swings both ways.

I appreciate that TT doesn't reach for free agents as often as other GMs. There might be good players out there, but if getting them prevents us from keeping Jennings in two years or another top player, I'm glad to see the Packers leadership think long term versus short. 95% of fans only think as far as Super Bowl XLVII. A good GM is thinking 3-4 or even 7-8 Super Bowls ahead (one hopes)!

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giants, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Giants, Colts, Steelers...anyone sensing a pattern here? Another clue? Patriots, Patriots, Bucs...yup, that's right. They've all had splashy FA signings this year! ;):rolleyes:

Yeah, I'll concede that the Patriots have made some limited forays into the FA market and the Saints have made a couple of notable past moves and I'm now shaking in my boots after the Bucs signed Vincent Jackson...but the last 7 SBs have been won by teams with a fairly conservative philosophy in regards to the use of free agency. Most of the last 7 SB winners are content to sign their "home grown" and not give up the Lombardi trophy to obtain overpriced FAs. Maybe that is why some of the names appear multiple times in the SB winners column and other perennial "March SB winners" (like the Redskins) have been shut out of this list?!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now SF is in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes. SF would automatically become the Super Bowl favorite with him along with that defense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts