Kinda Sucks sitting around watching all these teams buy players!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Jim Harbaugh is the biggest loser in this circus. He was all "Alex Smith is the man I want" and he does this? And Randy Moss. smh.

Titans. Meh. No big deal. Bud Adams won't live forever. And they have two QBs already.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early reports that Jeff Saturday is going to visit Green Bay. He might want to team back up with peyton in denver, but getting a player like Saturday for a couple of years would be a really good addition.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Early reports that Jeff Saturday is going to visit Green Bay. He might want to team back up with peyton in denver, but getting a player like Saturday for a couple of years would be a really good addition.

Was kinda hoping he sticks with the Colts like Wayne to help out the kid. I can't get too greedy though.

Jeff is even older and I respect his decision. He and Peyton are always tied together even more then any other pairing the Colts ever had.

Jeff had a suprisingly good season last year with no QB. So did Wayne. Both men are high in my book.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
This is a win/win for me.

I don't have to see Peyton in the AFC South twice a year.

I don't have to see Peyton become a rival of the Packers.

I can still root for him to beat Brady.

/the end

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports indicate Brett Favre is jealous of the attention Peyton manning is getting. Will come out of retirement so that teams court him. Then will change his mind and go back to playing football in a field with his friends and dog in mississippi.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
^lmao

Also, this is amazing. It is only beginning.

Now we get........TEBOW WATCH.

Tebow is the GOAT.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports indicate Brett Favre is jealous of the attention Peyton manning is getting. Will come out of retirement so that teams court him. Then will change his mind and go back to playing football in a field with his friends and dog in mississippi.

LOL! Imagine Favre giving Manning advice on this process. Favre - "Just tell everyone you are going to retire and then sign with some other team. Just keep doing that buddy, it works. I've tried it."

Got to give Manning credit for that. At least he is not pulling a Favre with playing retirement games.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I just hope Peyton does not get hurt. At least finish the season.

I have to think though that Elway is confident he won't. IN Denver they should run the ball well too. Unlike in Indy.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw the news that Scott Wells is gone ...to the Rams and Jeff Fisher.

I have always thought, and still do ..... that Well is small for the position and certainly not worth the All-Pro designation he got this year..... but he was the best Offensive Lineman the Packers had and he did a yeoman's job in co-ordinating what could very well be a sieve-like line into something that could pass as an NFL-quality line.

Now he's gone? Nuts.... ...and with nobody on the team even close to being able to do it? Double nuts.....

TT is not going to be able to draft a Center with the "built-in chemistry" to keep a line playing together. Can't do it with a free agent either.

The Pack's offense took a GIANT step backwards today ....and that's a double entendre if ever I hinted at one....

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
For you Packers, not building through Free Agency is the norm. I know you would like to take a bite at some of the talent, but don't. The water off the Great Lakes has tainted the brains of some... My Vikings, yes mine... I own them, signed a basketball player, a broken tight end, two fullbacks, a race car driver, one of the elderly greeters from the local Wal-Mart and an epileptic chimpanzee with the chainsaw that is strung out on Mescaline... they promoted one of them to expert and are now looking for defensive backs....

I ran into Vikings GM Spielman at the Dollar Store the other day and overheard him talking with Zygi,
"Do you think a hockey player or a dog sled team would be the better choice to play in the secondary?"
Zygi looked at Spielmann and said, "Golly, I'm not sure... we should consult an expert" Zygi turns around and shrugs his shoulders at the expert.
The epileptic chimpanzee with the chainsaw that is strung out on Mescaline points at the sled dog team.
Spielman marvels at the experts choice. "My God! We'll have 6 defensive backs for the price of one!"

Yeah, this is the way it feels to be a Vikings fan so far under the expert eye of Spieldweeb. My tagline may soon read "Vikings Fan Since 1968 - Vikings Fan Until Hel.. Until Spielman Screws Up Again!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

He did allow any team to court when he had the chance..What makes this different?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone can say the Packers have won or lost at this point. That will play out during the 2012 season. Last year letting a free agent walk didn't work so well.

I agree that the best way to build a team is through the draft. I also agree that the kind of money thrown around the first few days of free agency is ridiculous. Teams like the Redskins do the entire league a disfavor with the money they spend on free agents. They set the bar high for acquiring talent via free agency and drive up player salaries in the process.

But, I still think that free agency is a tool that can and should be used. Unlike some I think there is a certain urgency to this team despite the fact it was 15-2. The defense needs attention now. Can we wait two, three, or more years down the road and address these needs entirely through the draft? I say the door of opportunity slams shut just as it opens. I would hate to see such a good offensive team stymied in its tracks.

I noted Bill Polian was mentioned as one who favors the draft approach and is an example of how that pays off. Yet Peyton Manning was able to win only one Super Bowl. During those years the Colts rarely if ever had a formidable defense. I don't want to see the Packers in the same position and end their run at one.

One more thing. The Patriots have won 3 Super Bowls and have used free agency extensively.

The article did admit that championships are not won at this time of year.

I don't think the article said TT wasn't going to use free agency. It just mentioned that he was a winner because he chose not to impatiently jump into the pool while all the monied hot pee was still in the water. He waited until a lot of it filtered out and could look for a deal more reasonable to the team which is already a very good team.

As for winning only one, Ron Wolf used Free Agency fairly liberally and it got him how many Super Bowls? Now that there is a more strict structure on spending, TT does well to plan for this year and the future. Rodgers, Jennings, and Matthews all will have to be offered contracts next year. If the Packers blow their *** on trying to get some "hot" commodity they may have to sacrifice talent next year. TT is smart.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article did admit that championships are not won at this time of year.

I don't think the article said TT wasn't going to use free agency. It just mentioned that he was a winner because he chose not to impatiently jump into the pool while all the monied hot pee was still in the water. He waited until a lot of it filtered out and could look for a deal more reasonable to the team which is already a very good team.

As for winning only one, Ron Wolf used Free Agency fairly liberally and it got him how many Super Bowls? Now that there is a more strict structure on spending, TT does well to plan for this year and the future. Rodgers, Jennings, and Matthews all will have to be offered contracts next year. If the Packers blow their *** on trying to get some "hot" commodity they may have to sacrifice talent next year. TT is smart.

You missed my point entirely about winning only one. Drawing any relevancy to 20 years ago when as you acknowledge things were different escapes me.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think about it this way, and believe me I get frustrated when we don't do a little shopping ever in the off-season. We have done a couple of them though this year already!

Anyway, every year, free agents come and go, around the league from one team to another. Good player X goes there, good player Y goes there, etc. One there, one over there, etc. They just re-shuffle the players. Some get upgrades. Some get downgrades.
But the fact is, one or two signings usually doesn't make that much difference. There are few instant-changers like a Julius Peppers, Reggie White, Drew Brees.

Meanwhile, our team is good/great, and mostly young, and we keep getting better, on offense.
Driver is old, but we shouldn't miss him much if he's out. In fact, his playing time was lower last year than ever, and Agod had the best season ever.

Woodson is the hard one to replace.

We know our issues now and they are all on defense for the most part, and signing Daniel Muir, and trying to get Manny Lawson and Anthony Hargrove is evidence that Teddy is willing to do whatever he can to fix this.
But anyway:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012recap.php

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Packers sign C Jeff Saturday (2 years, $7.75M; $4M guaranteed): A+ Grade
This is a rarity. The Packers NEVER sign any free agents. Naturally, it's a great move. Green Bay desperately needed a center after losing Scott Wells to the Rams. Ted Thompson was able to acquire the top (healthy) player available at the position at a great price.

Seahawks sign DT Jason Jones (1 year, $4.5 million): B+ Grade
This signing happened a couple of days ago, but contract details are now known. The Seahawks needed an interior pass-rusher, and Jones was one of the top defensive tackles available on the market. This is a pretty good deal even though all of Jason Jones' $4.5 million is guaranteed. Seahawk fans apparently are displeased by anything worse than an A - I was asked by e-mailer K.D. R. to give this a "Millen After Being Hit With Gamma Rays Grade" based on the response to what I wrote about Matt Flynn - but B+ and B are solid grades.
Dolphins sign CB Richard Marshall (3 years, $16M; $6M guaranteed): B+ Grade
The Dolphins needed to obtain cornerback depth, and they certainly found it with Richard Marshall, who was very solid for Arizona last year. Getting him at $16 million with six of it guaranteed is a pretty good bargain.

Redskins re-sign DE/DT Adam Carriker (4 years, $20M; $7M guaranteed): D Grade (I disagree!)
Umm... what? Adam Carriker is not a starting-caliber defensive lineman, yet the Redskins have decided to pay him like one for some strange reason. Carriker can get to the quarterback on occasion, but he's a major liability against the run. Given Washington's recent massive cap penalty, I can't understand why it would spend so much money on a lineman who is just a rotational player at best.
Packers re-sign TE Jermichael Finley (2 years, $15M): A+ Grade
Jermichael Finley has yet to live up to expectations. He kills his team with mistakes despite being so physically gifted. He had 14 drops last year compared to only 55 receptions. Packer fans understandably are constantly frustrated with him.

Having said that, this is a great re-signing. Not only is Green Bay not dedicating lots of long-term money to him; it gives itself the chance to franchise Matt Flynn. With Flynn franchised, it'll allow Ted Thompson to secure at least one high draft pick for him. If the Eagles received a second-round pick and a starting cornerback for Kevin Kolb, the Packers can get just as much for their young reserve quarterback.

Members online

Latest posts