Keyarris Garrett

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In an underwhelming receiver class, this guy really stood out. At 6'3 220 lbs, he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.53 seconds, and was one of the top performers in receiving drills, with one scout saying he had the best hands in the draft. His arm length is supposed to be elite, as well.

Despite all of the above, and the fact that he was the leading receiver in the nation last year and had 189 yards against Oklahoma, he is projected as a 3rd-5th rounder. I think he would be a worthy investment, given that the WR2 position is not even close to being solidified and he has a ton of upside.

I watched him against Memphis, and he definitely looked the part. Big guy who made quite a few plays vertically and caught everything in sight. I wish he were more physical, but as a mid-rounder, I like what there is to work with.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Garrett had terrible workouts in all of the cone drills measuring a player's ability to change directions at a high speed, which is prettyimportant for a receiver to get open. I'll rather pass on him.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Garrett had terrible workouts in all of the cone drills measuring a player's ability to change directions at a high speed, which is prettyimportant for a receiver to get open. I'll rather pass on him.
You're talking about one drill, when he was impressive in almost every other one.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're talking about one drill, when he was impressive in almost every other one.

It wasn´t only one drill. I´m talking about the 3 Cone Drill (Garrett finished 25th out of 27 WRs), the 20-yard shuttle (19th out of 27) and the 60-yard shuttle (15th out of 19). He only finished in the top 10 in the vertical and broad jump. Taking into consideration that this was a weak receiver class I don´t consider Garrett´s performance at the combine even close to impressive.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. I must admit I don't watch any Tulsa games and haven't heard of the guy before now, but you have to like the size, hands, and 40. I don't like that 3 cone drill at all though. However, he could definitely add size to the team, but I have a feeling the change of direction is why no one is really talking about him flying up the boards.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn´t only one drill. I´m talking about the 3 Cone Drill (Garrett finished 25th out of 27 WRs), the 20-yard shuttle (19th out of 27) and the 60-yard shuttle (15th out of 19). He only finished in the top 10 in the vertical and broad jump. Taking into consideration that this was a weak receiver class I don´t consider Garrett´s performance at the combine even close to impressive.
Oh, that's pretty bad. But he's a big guy, and considering he did fine in the explosion drills, and his size/speed combination, I won't remove him from my radar. It's concerning. But we could use somebody in the mold of a #2 receiver in the later rounds, and he did put on a show against a good Oklahoma team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh, that's pretty bad. But he's a big guy, and considering he did fine in the explosion drills, and his size/speed combination, I won't remove him from my radar. It's concerning. But we could use somebody in the mold of a #2 receiver in the later rounds, and he did put on a show against a good Oklahoma team.

There´s no denying Garrett had some great games during his college career but I´m not convinced he would be an upgrade over any receiver currently on the Packers roster.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no denying Garrett had some great games during his college career but I´m not convinced he would be an upgrade over any receiver currently on the Packers roster.
Nelson isn't a particularly agile player, either. He runs a better 3 cone drill, but Garrett has a better 20 yard shuttle, and much better vertical and broad jump, with roughly the same size and speed.

Chances are what you predicted will be true, he won't be a starter, at least not soon. But bringing him in if he were a good value wouldn't hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nelson isn't a particularly agile player, either. He runs a better 3 cone drill, but Garrett has a better 20 yard shuttle, and much better vertical and broad jump, with roughly the same size and speed.

Chances are what you predicted will be true, he won't be a starter, at least not soon. But bringing him in if he were a good value wouldn't hurt.

Nelson is for sure not the most athletic gifted receiver but his route running is elite. With Adams, Montgomery, Janis and Abbrederis already on the roster battling for roster spots and playing time I just don´t feel the need to bring in another developmental WR.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson is for sure not the most athletic gifted receiver but his route running is elite. With Adams, Montgomery, Janis and Abbrederis already on the roster battling for roster spots and playing time I just don´t feel the need to bring in another developmental WR.
My reasoning is that during the struggles of the receivers last year, it was apparent that they needed more size and speed. In the 4th round or later, you're pretty much just looking at depth rather than filling holes anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I agree it seems like overkill and unnecessary, but it's not like we haven't had a guy picked that late in the draft go on to do nothing before. I would like for them to fill pressing needs first, but this looks like a really weak year for the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

My reasoning is that during the struggles of the receivers last year, it was apparent that they needed more size and speed. In the 4th round or later, you're pretty much just looking at depth rather than filling holes anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I agree it seems like overkill and unnecessary, but it's not like we haven't had a guy picked that late in the draft go on to do nothing before. I would like for them to fill pressing needs first, but this looks like a really weak year for the draft.

The receiving corps will get more size and speed with Nelson returning and most likely getting a bigger role.

I agree this year's draft is weak on the offensive side of the ball but there are plenty of good defensive players available who might be capable of helping the Packers, even in the mid-to-late rounds.

D

Deleted member 6794

Add 20-30 lbs and play TE.

While that seems to be a popular sentiment about slow or heavy-footed receivers I don't think every single prospect is capable of still producing at a decent level with additional weight.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With as good as Aaron Rodgers is with his accuracy and his ability to drop balls into a receiver, I would like to see more height out of the TE position. Speed yes....but a tall TE with some jumping would be nice.

D

Deleted member 6794

With as good as Aaron Rodgers is with his accuracy and his ability to drop balls into a receiver, I would like to see more height out of the TE position. Speed yes....but a tall TE with some jumping would be nice.

Rodgers is capable of catching contested balls, especially in the red zone. The Packers need an athletic tight end who can stretch a defense though.

Sky King

Reaction score
Rodgers is capable of catching contested balls, especially in the red zone. The Packers need an athletic tight end who can stretch a defense though.
He can catch, that's for sure. I would be happy if he could just block commensurate with his current size. And break a few tackles now and then. And maybe lose a little weight so he can run a tiny bit faster, and...

D

Deleted member 6794

He can catch, that's for sure. I would be happy if he could just block commensurate with his current size. And break a few tackles now and then. And maybe lose a little weight so he can run a tiny bit faster, and...

There's no doubt Rodgers has a lot of areas he should improve in. I highly doubt he's capable of doing so though. That's why I'm advocating for Thompson to sign a free agent at the position this offseason. I would be fine with an athletic tight end capable of stretching the field as the offense has worked pretty well without a great blocker at TE for several seasons.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts