Kelvin Benjamin

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he's not the WR people thought he'd be. But what I can't figure out for the life of me, why hasn't anyone asked him to play TE? He's 6'5 245, he may not be able to separate from a CB, but he probably would fare much better against shorter and slower LBs and Safeties. He was a redzone TD machine in Carolina, so the ability is there. His value will be minimal this year in FA, so cap shouldn't be an issue. If he can block even just as good as Jimmy, I think it's worth exploring; but at 27, time could be running out on that experiment.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"Any team claiming Benjamin off waivers would owe him the remaining portion of his $8.5 million base salary this season. If he is not claimed off waivers, the Bills would owe Benjamin the remainder of his fully guaranteed salary."

No thanks. $2.125M, for a WR at the cross roads, with a team playing for nothing in 2018.

I remember seeing him play for Carolina and thought "this guy is going to be great". But just looking at his 5 year stats and reading a few comments about him, seems like he has dropped off a cliff and his motivation is super low.

Sure, maybe with the right team and situation, let him clear waivers......league minimum + a team friendly discount LOL

Last edited:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He threw Cam under the bus even though Cam had the best year of his career without him in 2015. We've had enough nut jobs in the locker room the last few years.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fant at Iowa is the same build and style of play, not a blocker. Hockenson, the other, better TE plays every down, and a better player. Pretty sure Hock comes out this year and he will be drafted before Fant. We need a better TE not another receiver. Would love to see TJ join us. Known him since he was born, good kid, good family, the team that gets him is going to be happy.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fant at Iowa is the same build and style of play, not a blocker. Hockenson, the other, better TE plays every down, and a better player. Pretty sure Hock comes out this year and he will be drafted before Fant. We need a better TE not another receiver. Would love to see TJ join us. Known him since he was born, good kid, good family, the team that gets him is going to be happy.

For the life of me, because of your name I for a moment thought you must have laid in the same crib together! Hockenson would probably be from 96/97ish I assume?

I am happy with taking a TE in the second round, however I am not very sold on the idea of drafting a TE in the first round. Not sold on a WR that early either as they tend to need to mature, regardless of draft position. Given that its a strong edge rusher draft and we need an impact player at the postion, Edge just has to be the pick in round 1. it's a no brainer really.

Benjamin... Meh. Im just going to consort to forum parroting and say I'd be only interested close to veteran minimum. But he is not the type of WR we need anyway, as we need a shifty guy in the slot.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm a big Hockenson fan. Would be perfect for us.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJ's dad was my boss from 96-09. I wouldn't draft him first either but our record puts him a high 2nd, if he comes out he won't last past the first 2 rounds.

Reaction score
I’m personally thinking more like an Amari Cooper type FA. Dallas was missing that veteran receiver fit and the second Cooper got on the field they got better. Cooper has never finished a season less than 13.9 yards per reception. The fit here is as important as the talent.
If we can cut some dead weight or substantially restructure waning veteran contracts (Bulaga, Clay, etc..) we could have the opportunity to go out and get 3-4 really quality veteran players at Positions like WR, OG, OT, Edge or Safety.
That would limit the plethora of needs in the draft and allow us to possibly package a pick or 2 to move up the draft board for a couple players that are really special.
One things for sure. The Old Man Rodgers clock is ticking and starting to sound like a version of Edgar Allen Poe’s “tell tale heart “. While I appreciate the draft and development style teams.. Gute needs to keep the FA gas pedal down, push some chips and take this hand.

Last edited:

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
A WR gaining fat until he weighs as much as a TE won’t make him a TE. Maybe if he was in the gym gaining muscle, but It doesn’t look like he’s been doing that.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone else's concerns are valid, but let's not forget that he's got maybe the worst hands in the league.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have enough tall lanky WRs. I'd like to see another Jordy type character come in, no one has filled that roll yet. Rodgers always looked great when he had a trusty slot got that he could find scrambling with him. It's a dynamic position that could change the look of the offense right away. Not just a deep ball to Adams every time. So after all that babbling, my answer is no thank you.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not looking at Benjamin as a WR, I'm looking at him as a TE. I kind of thought of him as one coming out of Florida State. He was fast for rhe NCAA, but not necessarily for the NFL. Jimmy isn't that great of a blocker in his own right, so if Benjamin had similar or even better skills that's an upgrade over his diminished skillset. He definitely has the better vertical so I like him as a middle of the field target. And yes, I'm referring to signing him during FA for around the vet minimum. If he's willing to play TE then let's see how he does during camp/preseason. If he doesn't impress, then cut him and we have a decent TE group in Graham/Kendricks/Tonyan. I expect Lewis to retire.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the life of me, because of your name I for a moment thought you must have laid in the same crib together! Hockenson would probably be from 96/97ish I assume?

I am happy with taking a TE in the second round, however I am not very sold on the idea of drafting a TE in the first round. Not sold on a WR that early either as they tend to need to mature, regardless of draft position. Given that its a strong edge rusher draft and we need an impact player at the postion, Edge just has to be the pick in round 1. it's a no brainer really.

Benjamin... Meh. Im just going to consort to forum parroting and say I'd be only interested close to veteran minimum. But he is not the type of WR we need anyway, as we need a shifty guy in the slot.

Not saying I disagree but here is my problem with that line of thinking. If you pass on A grade talent because its takes them a year or two to mature and you settle for B grade talent its going to take them that same year or 2 to mature and once they do you are stuck with B grade talent instead of A grade talent. I do agree that edge rusher should be our first goal after that if a WR is there that looks good I have no problem taking him. that is why I would rather see the Packer stand pat with their 3 picks in the top 40 or 50 rather than packaging them all to move up even further into the top 10.

As far as Benjamin goes I'd say no. I liked him coming out but he has done nothing to show me he deserved it and as far as converting him to TE I think there are probably better TEs out there. I don't think his failure at WR was because he was playing the wrong position (ala guys like Heyward and Hyde) I just think he doesn't have the attitude to succeed regardless of the position he plays.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have enough tall lanky WRs. I'd like to see another Jordy type character come in, no one has filled that roll yet. Rodgers always looked great when he had a trusty slot got that he could find scrambling with him. It's a dynamic position that could change the look of the offense right away. Not just a deep ball to Adams every time. So after all that babbling, my answer is no thank you.

Agree with everything except "lanky"...that's like describing Janikowski as a "lanky" kicker.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fant is a lot like Graham and his draft value will go way up with a crazy combine. I hope Hockenson doesn't come out as a Hawk fan. Since Fant decided so early he's not coming back I think TJ will make a long thought and logical decision what will be the best for him. He'll get a ton of targets in college next year for sure but my guess is it's 50/50 right now.

Members online

Latest posts