keep your fingers crossed!!

Rodgersfan1985

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An article from fan nation I found but I couldnt paste it right sorry,

Julius Peppers Meet the Green Bay Packers

Throw the Green Bay Packers into the mix of teams that could try and steal Julius Peppers away from the Panthers this offseason. Peppers has stated a desire to leave the only NFL team he's known in order to find a defense that will, to paraphrase, maximize his abilities. His agent, Carl Carey, has said that, "[Peppers] certainly feels that he can excel in a 3-4 defense," something the Panthers, at least of right now, do not employ. You can take this message to heart, because even after a disastrous '07 campaign, Peppers declined a contract extension with Carolina. This is not a money issue, though Peppers would certainly command a big contract on the open market. His desire for a new team and defense seems genuine.

Meanwhile, at the Frozen Tundra, the Green Bay Packers just underwent a massive overhaul of the defensive coaching staff. Dom Capers has come in to employ his vaunted 3-4 defense. Say what you want about his headcoaching job in Houston, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Capers is a defensive wizard. Seemingly everywhere he goes his schemes pay immediate dividends for a team. And if his head coaching job still gives you nightmares, recall when he took a second year franchise to the NFC Championship in '96.

To sweeten the pot, Mike McCarthy just signed Mike Trgovac to coach the defensive line. Who is Trgovac? None other than the recently departed defensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers. He confessed the difficulties of being a DC under a defensive-minded head coach (John Fox) and turned down a contract extension.

This seems like an ideal marriage for both the Packers and Peppers (gotta love the alliteration too). In Peppers' case, he wants a new scheme to challenge his talent and skills; the Packers have the scheme he's looking for and a recognizeable face on the staff. In Green Bay they're looking for defensive line help (in all likely hood Aaron Kampman will transition to linebacker); Peppers (6'7", 290 lbs) is an ideal DE to help in the 3-4 transition.

It's a match made in heaven, but there are obstacles all over the place. The Panthers will surely franchise Peppers. They can't let a premier DE leave for nothing and by franchsing Peppers they either guarantee: his return, two first round picks in compensation, or a beneficial trade. Packers GM Ted Thompson loves the draft more than anything. Surrendering an assortment of picks in a trade isn't his thing, and hell would freeze over before he'd give out a huge contract and two first picks to boot.

The contract Peppers would command may also stand in the way. Right now the Packers have some of their promising young talent nearing the ends of rookie contracts. In other words, Greg Jennings might be extremely aggravated if Green Bay doles out the millions for Peppers before they address him.

To further complicate matters, the defense Peppers wants might be coming to his backyard. Carolina has undergone a massive defensive overhaul as well. As of yet the direction of the defense is unknown. John Fox firmly believes in the 4-3, though. Scheme changes are pretty unlikely in Carolina, but a remote possibility exists.

Still, the interests of the Packers and Peppers are so in synch it'd be foolish to think Ted Thompson isn't deliberating the subject. Despite the numerous hurdles, Peppers is the kind of football player that's worth the heavy price. The Vikings paid a king's ransom for Jared Allen, and no one's bemoaning that decision in Minnesota. When the '09 season kicks off, we could very well see Julius Peppers donning the Green and Gold.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody knows how does he wants to play? More like a typical 3-4 DE? Or like Ware does, playing OLB most of the time and playing a "wide open" DE?
I really wouldn't want us to pay a ton of money to have this guy play the run mostly.
And don't we already have a guy who's playing OLB/DE ( kampman )? That probably means the other OLB will play standed up most of the times, and what if Peppers doesn't want to do that?

I think they would be a terrific duo, like Woodley and Harrison, but he needs to play like Harrison, and not like Smith...

Reaction score
that would be nice to sing him then we wont have to get a defensive player in the draft , then we can work on the other positions that are begining to fall apart. Like the o line are tackles ares getting to old. we will need a cornerback also later. i dont think we should get one first draft pick but later

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any word from Carolina if they are going to franchise Peppers or Gross? They're both studs and whichever one doesn't get franchised is going to be a hot commodity.

OP
OP
R

Rodgersfan1985

Cheesehead
Reaction score
boisenjm said:
Any word from Carolina if they are going to franchise Peppers or Gross? They're both studs and whichever one doesn't get franchised is going to be a hot commodity.
\

Peppers will most likely get franchised but I am also optimistic about it because if
they do franchise him the panthers cap takes a hit of about 16 mil.

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hammer said:
I'd take Peppers or Gross.

I completely agree. Those two guys are top notch football players and I would say two of the top five free agents out there. Either one would look great in Green and Gold!

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't go after Peppers, if he gets franchised!!

A big contract for a big FA would be fine with me.
A big contract plus throwing our future away if Peppers is to washed up.....

Keep laughing on TT for stockpiling draft-picks but the draft is a game of chances:
The more chances you have, the more you might be lucky..... and you might be
very lucky with two first-round-picks.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gross has become a premiere tackle. The Panthers backs both excelled between the tackles this year, all of their long TD runs were straight ahead, with a missed tackle in the secondary. There were some serious holes being opened by the OL. Reminds me of a few years ago when A. Green was making all the long runs by breaking one tackle.

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it will probably be Gross who gets franchised. Peppers would be an excellent pick up if it happened, and the signs are good about Peppers perhaps coming to the Tundra.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word out of Carolina is that Peppers and Trgovac don't get along particularly well. Other reports are the opposite.

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people are putting a little too much weight on the relationship between Peppers and Trgovac. For one they are grown men and secondly Peppers would be dealing with Capers as D-coordinator and Greene and Moss as his position coaches. Trgovac will be dealing with the D-line and I think if there is any bad blood that they would be able to look past it.

greenbaypacker80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Panthers are not going to lose one of their best players and not get anything in return. They will trade him but I don't know if TT is willing to give up a good package to get him. On top of that he is going to command big money and TT may not be willing to give that up either.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then we get Gross and boost our O-Line. Both the Panthers and the Ravens FA situations are great for the Packers. They won't be able to sign all of their great FA players, and anyone we can get would be a huge boost to our team. I'm not really concerned about the ability of those teams to sign all the players, I'm more worried about the competition with OTHER teams, because let's be honest, there's no way TT will compete with another team for a high graded free agent...

Latest posts