Just a thought on Teddy T before impending free agency frenz

jiltedfavreex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After years of hearing how Ted has all this money to spend and won't pull the trigger on a major free agent, I began to think along those same lines. I was pissed we didn't get Randy, and pretty disappointed we didn't get Gonzalez (even though the Chiefs screwed us on that one.) However, that being said, at this moment depending on which salary cap report you read we're 25 or something million under the cap, which is about tenth in the league. After the no-brainer resigning of Jennings, and probably Collins and Bigby as well, along with signing the rookies (#9 isn't cheap) you would figure there isn't too much honey left in the pot. I guarantee we'll sign some second tier free agents, and at the current rate of team cuts the pickings could be plentiful. Not just that, but if the NFL free agency is affected by the economic climate nearly as much as the MLB, there might be some attractive bargain options later on.

Just a thought.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Moss nor Gonzales were FAs. TT tried to trade for TG but KC decided to ask for a higher pick at the 11th hour. I don't know how serious TT was about acquiring Moss and looking back and don't think we missed much there. I really think TT will get a FA or 2 but probably not one of the big name guys folks have been talking about all these weeks.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Pugger said:
I don't know how serious TT was about acquiring Moss and looking back and don't think we missed much there.
You don't think we missed much there? Funny, I remember that as the year Moss set the single season TD receptions record. And the year he vaulted Tom Brady from consistent 25 TD pass QB to NFL Record 50 TD pass QB. I'd say we missed a bunch there. Imagine for a second what Greg Jennings could do if he was a team's 3rd priority in coverage like he would've been that year. I have always maintained that with Moss, the 2007 team is probably 15-1 and has a Super Bowl under it's belt, though that's all arguable guesswork. What you can't argue with are the numbers Moss put up that year. And we could've had all that for a 3rd round pick.

With my pseudo-rant out of the way, I see this being another fruitless year now that Peppers is gone. Similar to that off-season we had where Frank Walker was our only free agent.

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look around the league the best teams are built through the draft, thats a better way to build a long term winner anyway