Josh Sitton - my fav

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He got a little vocal and got bounced out, not the most dignified way to leave the team. However, he was great while he was here and I was proud that he was a Green Bay Packer. Best of luck Josh.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sitton was a great player for most of his tenure in Green Bay but I'm a little bit surprised both the team and him felt intrigued by him retiring as a Packer.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton was a great player for most of his tenure in Green Bay but I'm a little bit surprised both the team and him felt intrigued by him retiring as a Packer.
Makes me wonder if he would have been extended instead of released if Gutenkunst had been in charge back then lol.

D

Deleted member 6794

Makes me wonder if he would have been extended instead of released if Gutenkunst had been in charge back then lol.

In hindsight, Thompson made the correct move to release Sitton. It was shocking at the time it happened though.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but when I think about a lifelong Packer Sitten doesn't come to my mind.
Apparently it does for him lol. I think his release may have come as of big a surprise to him as it did us. His signing with the Bears was probably both a business decision as well as possibly a little bit of a reaction to the abrupt nature of his release. After a little time to reflect he probably has gotten over it... not to mention the fact that the guys in charge of that decision are now gone.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In hindsight, Thompson made the correct move to release Sitton. It was shocking at the time it happened though.
Both Sitton and Lang’s contract were going to expire and it was important that one of them go a season early. The timing was odd though. Was hoping for a draft day trade 4 months prior to his release. It turned out well though because Lane Taylor stepped in as his replacement and played well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Apparently it does for him lol. I think his release may have come as of big a surprise to him as it did us. His signing with the Bears was probably both a business decision as well as possibly a little bit of a reaction to the abrupt nature of his release. After a little time to reflect he probably has gotten over it... not to mention the fact that the guys in charge of that decision are now gone.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hold a grudge against Sitton for signing with the Bears but don't feel the need for him to retire as a Packer.

Both Sitton and Lang’s contract were going to expire and it was important that one of them go a season early. The timing was odd though. Was hoping for a draft day trade 4 months prior to his release. It turned out well though because Lane Taylor stepped in as his replacement and played well.

It seems the Packers didn't find another team interested in trading for Sitton before they released him.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is a players prerogative. I see it as a way for them to express gratitude to the fans more than the team.

It's not a big deal either way but it was surprising to me that both the Packers and Sitton felt the move to be necessary after the way they parted ways.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, management who let Josh go is no longer in charge so that made it easier for Sitton to come 'home'.

That's not true as Gutekunst was director of player personnel when the Packers decided to release Sitton.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it wasn't Gutekunst calling the shots at that point it's possible he was partly responsible for the decision.
Maybe... but it’s all but definite that he is responsible for the decision to have him retire as a Packer.

Members online

Latest posts