Josh Jones at ILB?

D

Deleted member 6794

Just remember that PFF absolutely hated Keanu Neal in college for many of the same reasons, and thought he was a revelation in his rookie season.

I'm aware that PFF didn't like Neal coming out of college but graded him pretty well during his rookie season. I definitely hope the same holds true with Josh Jones.

In the post you replied to I wasn't talking about him in particular.

Do you always have to disagree?

No, I agree with a lot of stuff being posted on the forum.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You were going to stay out of it and then you didn't. And you obviously did not follow the conversation.

You're more likely to have an adverse outcome if somebody "hits" you on the road than if your passenger "hurries" you along. And it get's a whole lot worse if your car is "sacked" because you are drunk than if it's just a fender bender "hit" .

How much difference is there among the scenarios? That is the question unanswered so far. And how do each of those outcomes stack up relative to when you are neither sacked, hit or hurried?

Uhmmm....your reply has nothing to do with what I was responding to. You pointed out that lots of interceptions occur when the passer is not hurried. There's no point to that statement in this discussion. People are trying to point out that hurries result in marked drops of passing efficiency in the NFL. Pointing out something that happens when there are no hurries doesn't prove anything in this discussion.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Everyone will be buying Josh Jones jersey's pretty soon and PFF won't have anything to do with it. :rolleyes:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm aware that PFF didn't like Neal coming out of college but graded him pretty well during his rookie season. I definitely hope the same holds true with Josh Jones.

In the post you replied to I wasn't talking about him in particular.

No, I agree with a lot of stuff being posted on the forum.
I also hope so. His shortcomings are definitely correctable. He's got coverage ability that isn't strictly projection-driven, and he's got the size, athleticism, and aggressiveness to stop guys short of the 1st down marker. Other than the missed tackles, I was just disappointed with his play inside the box. He's got all of the tools to thrive there, yet seemed very passive. Completely different than the attitude he shows when he feels like he's got a clear hit on an opposing player.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if you grade him out as a coverage ilb. He is golden. Only knock is under sized. But he is a freak athlete. He could gain 25# in cheese curds, and still burn most ilbs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also hope so. His shortcomings are definitely correctable. He's got coverage ability that isn't strictly projection-driven, and he's got the size, athleticism, and aggressiveness to stop guys short of the 1st down marker. Other than the missed tackles, I was just disappointed with his play inside the box. He's got all of the tools to thrive there, yet seemed very passive. Completely different than the attitude he shows when he feels like he's got a clear hit on an opposing player.

There's no doubt Jones has the athletic traits necessary to thrive playing a hybrid linebacker/safety role. Unfortunately he tends to make mental errors, especially playing in a zone coverage scheme, and miss tackles too often.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's a rookie. He'll make some rookie mistakes. They'll probably bring him along slowly with maybe 5-15 snaps a game and special teams work through the first two months. That's my official prediction which is worth nothing.

H

HardRightEdge

Uhmmm....your reply has nothing to do with what I was responding to. You pointed out that lots of interceptions occur when the passer is not hurried. There's no point to that statement in this discussion. People are trying to point out that hurries result in marked drops of passing efficiency in the NFL. Pointing out something that happens when there are no hurries doesn't prove anything in this discussion.
Your statements are self-contradictory. If you cannot compare passing efficiency between hits, hurries and no pressure, and the value of sacks, and in particular strip sacks, where this is no passer rating, then there's no basis for an assumption about their relative values.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Jones has the athletic traits necessary to thrive playing a hybrid linebacker/safety role. Unfortunately he tends to make mental errors, especially playing in a zone coverage scheme, and miss tackles too often.
That's true. He's a good matchup player, but much like Obi, he seems to lack the instincts to be as disruptive as his athleticism suggests he could be while he's defending space. He's more aggressive and tries harder than Melifonwu to be the enforcer, but Obi is more polished and makes far fewer mistakes, based on the tape that I watched. With the football IQ of Jamal Adams, he could be the #1 pick.

jakemillar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I took away from watching the Falcons in the SB was their 2 LBs, Deion Jones & Devondre Campbell, were absolutely flying around. If Josh Jones could do what Jones did in the SB, that would mean worlds to GBs defense.

IMO that is going to be the new wave in the NFL, these undersized, hyper-athletic LBs who can flex out with RBs in coverage or play man on the hybrid receiving TEs in the NFL now. Being able to play 2 LBs on the field and have both able to match up with a TE and RB is the new defensive chess piece(s) teams will be looking for. Maybe Jones is one.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I took away from watching the Falcons in the SB was their 2 LBs, Deion Jones & Devondre Campbell, were absolutely flying around. If Josh Jones could do what Jones did in the SB, that would mean worlds to GBs defense.

IMO that is going to be the new wave in the NFL, these undersized, hyper-athletic LBs who can flex out with RBs in coverage or play man on the hybrid receiving TEs in the NFL now. Being able to play 2 LBs on the field and have both able to match up with a TE and RB is the new defensive chess piece(s) teams will be looking for. Maybe Jones is one.
I like what you say and it makes good sense. Isn't Thomas Davis kind of like that? Still, it is just difficult for me to see something better in the middle than a Butkus, Nitschke, Lambert, Lewis etc.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Josh Jones is going to be our wild card on defense. Just like Montgomery is for the offense. Monty is a rb for run plays, and a wr for pass plays. Jones is a safety for pass plays and a lb for run plays. We will see how he does against the run against NFL players. But one great thing he has going for him is that Thompson is stacking the dline this year. It was also said, he likes to and excels at sticking his nose in there at the line, and making plays... sounds like a ilb.....

King is going to be a n absolute stud for us at cb. A steal!

D

Deleted member 6794

Josh Jones is going to be our wild card on defense. Jones is a safety for pass plays and a lb for run plays.

The Packers for sure don't plan on using Jones as a safety on passing plays as Burnett and Clinton-Dix are set as the starters at both spots.

The rookie will most likely receive playing time replacing one of the inside linebackers on obvious passing downs.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

when i caught mini camp practice for a bit after work at lambeau one day. it seemed the whole practice was to teach jones the star position the coach was talking just to him and the rest of the players looked bored as if they knew this stuff in there sleep. so i think the coaching staff os taking extra time to make sure jones doesnt make mental errors or maybe so he makes just a few

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers for sure don't plan on using Jones as a safety on passing plays as Burnett and Clinton-Dix are set as the starters at both spots.

The rookie will most likely receive playing time replacing one of the inside linebackers on obvious passing downs.
You missed my point. His position is....flexible. where he lines up isn't the point. He has the skills of safety to cover a te or rb. And if the play ends up being a run, he has the skills to go get the rb, as a ilb would.

Just like the elephant olb. He almost needs a new name... like, eagle ilb. Or something :). Because as you pointed out in years past. 220 ilb will get blown up against the run.....
Similar to the elephant olb who had the skill set of a olb with a obvious coverage weakness, but a special ability to bring size and speed to the qb pressure. We had to tweak the whole defense to accommodate... such as ilbs who must be very good in coverage, and secondary who are up and around to help tackle. Every time we needed another guy back there, we'd pull another dlineman. And unfortunately it evolved into other weaknesses that we couldn't get past...

This new improved strategy gives us a solid rotation up front. This is to help compensate for the smaller tweener ilb imo. And also the fact our CBs will be back Manning up more often, and our safety's will be back in coverage more often, imo.

With a stronger dline. And a solid, well rounded lb corps... I could see Jones as a permanent fixture at (eagle)ilb. Essentially allowing us to have a nickel back in at all times. Before the actual nickel back has to be called in.

Helping the secondary by strengthening and diversifying the front 7. Rather than subtracting from the front 7 to add to the secondary...

I'm very optimistic that king ,house, and Jones, added to the young core of CBs we already have. Backed up by two great veteran safety's, will make this secondary great again. And a dline that creates pressure, opening up a apparently weaker pass rushing lb corps. I believe overall, the CBs and olbs will shine this year.

Bring in Revis, to make a come back imo... I will end on that note. Lol :)

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or the Woodson position to honor Charles who patented the position you speak of.
Burnett and dix are entering the realm of woodsons understanding of the game imo. When they can identify run or pass surely enough to abandon scheme responsibilities. Woodson was not only able to do that. But trusted enough to be allowed to do it. Then he would blow up the play, and make huge impact plays besides...
With a strong defense around them. Our guys could be trusted to do that imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

You missed my point. His position is....flexible. where he lines up isn't the point. He has the skills of safety to cover a te or rb. And if the play ends up being a run, he has the skills to go get the rb, as a ilb would.

I could see Jones as a permanent fixture at (eagle)ilb. Essentially allowing us to have a nickel back in at all times. Before the actual nickel back has to be called in.

I didn't miss your point but don't agree that Jones has the skill set of a traditional safety. I'm fine with the idea of him replacing an inside linebacker on obvious passing downs but that doesn't negate the need for a nickel cornerback.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Burnett and dix are entering the realm of woodsons understanding of the game imo. When they can identify run or pass surely enough to abandon scheme responsibilities. Woodson was not only able to do that. But trusted enough to be allowed to do it. Then he would blow up the play, and make huge impact plays besides...
With a strong defense around them. Our guys could be trusted to do that imo.
Completely disagree. Neither are anywhere close to Woodson's level imo. More importantly they don't complement each other well imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

Completely disagree. Neither are anywhere close to Woodson's level imo. More importantly they don't complement each other well imo.

It's true that neither Burnett nor Clinton-Dix perform close to Woodson's level in his prime but in my opinion they complement each other pretty well and form one of the best safety tandems in the league.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's true that neither Burnett nor Clinton-Dix perform close to Woodson's level in his prime but in my opinion they complement each other pretty well and form one of the best safety tandems in the league.

I like Burnett and Haha but we could use some more speed back there. Woodsen had Collins back there allowing Charles to do some things that he might not be able to normally do. Nick Collins is probably one of the most underrated Packers of all time.

Enter Josh Jones and we should be set.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like Burnett and Haha but we could use some more speed back there. Woodsen had Collins back there allowing Charles to do some things that he might not be able to normally do. Nick Collins is probably one of the most underrated Packers of all time.

Enter Josh Jones and we should be set.

It's along shot that Jones will even be close to as good as Collins was though. In addition it took Nick until his fourth season to perform at an elite level.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of hard hitting safety's. Kentrell Brice was dropping bombs last year. ! If he comes back a little stronger, bigger, and still willing to sacrifice the body the way he does. How do we not play him? Still have a healthy Randall/Rollins/Gunter trio needing some reps...king, house, and Jones come in and knock everyone down the depth chart three spots... Our secondary starts to look stacked .

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of hard hitting safety's. Kentrell Brice was dropping bombs last year. ! If he comes back a little stronger, bigger, and still willing to sacrifice the body the way he does. How do we not play him? Still have a healthy Randall/Rollins/Gunter trio needing some reps...king, house, and Jones come in and knock everyone down the depth chart three spots... Our secondary starts to look stacked .

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Brice has potential, for sure. I like him.

Members online

Latest posts