Johnny Jolly

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I think that I was wrong in terms of conditioning. I kept waiting for him to wear down but it didn't happen. That dude is all heart. I guess that's what a few years in prison can do to a man.

Unfortunately what didn't hold up was his body from injuries. It doesn't sound like they will hold out hope for Jolly to return in the playoffs, but maybe putting him on IR opens up a spot for Cobb on the active roster.

Don't think Cobb needed a spot to open up. Wsn't he under the "IR deisignated to return"? Thought maybe that left him a roster spot vs being on just regular IR. Idk, maybe they are different designation, maybe they are the same.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw Ian Rapoport on NFL morning - 'A source with knowledge of the injury said that Jolly is done for the season.'

This is a big loss.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Cobb is on IR Designated for Return but they would still have to open a roster spot for him to play. If Jolly is really done for the season...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bummer on Jolly. He plays hard. Raji are you listening?
Raji needs to change his diet and get more energy.
Like Mike Daniels has and like Jolly had.
What I missed from Jolly this year were the batted passes. He used to get one every few games. I can't recall any this year.

Those are big plays.

I will miss Jolly.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a big loss.
I just read that Jolly has been diagnosed with a bulging disk in his neck which could be career ending.

ARRRGHH! Had not heard that. That would be a big shame and ending for a great come-back story. Jolly, I feel, was our best emotional leader on the defense. That will be missed even more than his excellent play.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might be the straw that breaks the camels back on our defense.
This, yet another, injury rally makes me want to curse loudly.

“It's a huge blow, man,” veteran defensive tackle Ryan Pickett said. “Jolly is a good player. He's a really good player ... He's an energy in the huddle. He's a great guy, a great player. It's going to be tough without him.”

Jolly has played in 13 of the Packers’ 14 games this season, missing the team’s Thanksgiving Day blowout loss at Detroit with a groin injury. His absence was felt, quite obviously, as nobody else on defense showed up.

In 294 snaps this season, Jolly recorded 38 tackles, one sack and one pass deflection. But his impact went beyond statistics or helping the run defense to a strong start – the unit was ranked third in the league through the first six games of the season, and its downward spiral coincided with Jolly’s groin injury – as he grew into an emotional leader.

“Jolly made plays,” Pickett said. “He's a leader on the field and off the field. Everybody kind of rallies around him. It hurts ..... Jolly would do anything for anybody. Jolly’s a great guy. He just really is. You’re not going to find too many people that don’t like him.”

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrible, just terrible. Letting go of Raji was much easier knowing the Packers had Jolly who outplayed him.

Assuming Raji goes, NT now becomes a serious need in the draft.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrible, just terrible. Letting go of Raji was much easier knowing the Packers had Jolly who outplayed him.

Assuming Raji goes, NT now becomes a serious need in the draft.
I'm not so sure about that, about how important the NT position is in this scheme, based on reading some comments from our DL about what their role is in this scheme. Pickett and Raji have acted like they're not asked to make plays. They act like, when they watch film of other teams and see their big DL guys make plays, that here they are not allowed to, like they are required just to occupy, gobble up the OL, to free things up for the LBs to make plays. If that is the case, then how important are the big guys? They shouldn't get paid $8mil a year to do THAT. Also, if that is true, why don't we have good ILBs.

I can see doing that if you have Patrick Willis and Novorro Bowman, or Luke Kuechly, but we don't.

Members online

Latest posts