Johnny Jolly

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jolly's spin move on the INT was Lacy-like! ;) I think his performance last night bought him a roster spot.

Reaction score
As good as our D was all regular season, we were torched against the Arizona Cardinals in the postseason that year as we have pretty much every season with Capers at the helm outside of the Super Bowl season. Should be interesting!

Since I'm a friggin' Dom fanboy, I'll up and ignore how awesome Jolly has been since his comeback and how awesome Eddie Lacy was plowing through Rams Linebackers.... in order to defend Dom.

Late 09 - our secondary got roughed up (Al Harris/Pat Lee/Bigby) all blah - out with injuries, Steelers and Cards just threw at Jarrett and "Giodono (?)" and blah.

2011, we let a lot of vets go, didn't acquire any rookies/or free agents to replace 'em - Collins/Tramon get injured - Raji/Pickett play way too many snaps - Defense fell apart.

2012 - a ton of rookies, then a ton of injuries - 49ers/vikings/giants just ran it at stupid walden.

I think THIS season we judge Dom's job - we've picked up a lot of players from 2011 (MD/Davon) 2012 (etc.) and 2013 (Boyd/Micah/Mulumba/Barrington/Datone/Jolly) .... if our defense is punked out again in the playoffs - FIRE this dude and get someone better.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don't take this as me not being happy for Jolly, I'm ecstatic thathe's managed to turn his life around, but is no else disappointed that a guy who was out of football for three years is illustrating just how poor pur dline picks have played the past few years? He'll be on the team and he'll make the team better but a guy like him ahould make the team for depth purposes, not as one of the team's more impactful players.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don't take this as me not being happy for Jolly, I'm ecstatic thathe's managed to turn his life around, but is no else disappointed that a guy who was out of football for three years is illustrating just how poor pur dline picks have played the past few years? He'll be on the team and he'll make the team better but a guy like him ahould make the team for depth purposes, not as one of the team's more impactful players.
Huh?????? Dissappointed? Are you kidding?

I would suggest a new more appropriate username: "CloudyDayPacker"

As stated more than a few times by TT, big men with strength and feet are very rare. I for one am very happy to have him on the team and making an impact.

12theTruth

As stated more than a few times by TT, big men with strength and feet are very rare. I for one am very happy to have him on the team and making an impact.

It really wasn't a knock on Jolly at all. Just an indictment of the overated BJ Raji. And some of the questionable picks T.T. has had on the defensive line. Neal, Justin Harrell, etc. So I see his point about an NFL player being away from the game for 3 years and basically outplaying and outclassing the front line d-lineman in game action.

True, it can't be a true comparison as Jolly has not gotten the number of reps against the other teams ones, but I'll bet the farm that by the end of the preseason, Jolly will consistently be outperforming those currently ahead of him on the d-line barring injury!

H

HardRightEdge

I read a note from practice last week that Jolly worked a fake spin move, won the 1-on-1, and drew cheers from the sidelines. They might be able to sneak Boyd on the Practice Squad; he hasn't done much to demand attention in preseason so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jolly will be like Kuhn. A fan favorite IMO. It'll be an interesting game Fri. Shortly there after the roster drops to 75

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Think you should go back and re-read what I wrote. I'm not disappointed in Jolly making the team, I'm disappointed that our picks along the dline have put the team in a position where he is one of the better players. Facing the reality that TT's dline draft picks have been underwhelming isn't pessimistic, it's facing reality. I'm sorry if my comments disagreed with your more rosy view of our dline.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Think you should go back and re-read what I wrote. I'm not disappointed in Jolly making the team, I'm disappointed that our picks along the dline have put the team in a position where he is one of the better players. Facing the reality that TT's dline draft picks have been underwhelming isn't pessimistic, it's facing reality. I'm sorry if my comments disagreed with your more rosy view of our dline.
Name our DL picks and the rounds they were drafted in. Neal is still one of the best pass rushers on the team, if not the best, Daniels is looking good in his second year, Worthy is injured and rebuilding his body, Wilson is now a solid run defender, Boyd is a rookie, Raji is at least an average DT. Wynn busted, Guy is fighting for a spot in IND after getting signed off our PS. Seems like if anything, the higher we draft these guys the less spectacular they are.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do actually love our depth on the D-line this year. Aside from the usual guys, Jolly has been looking like a beast, Daniels has had an excellent camp, and Jones may help us add a different dimension. Don't forget about Worthy, who may make it back sometime this season, or may have to start over next year. I think we have our deepest group at DL since we switched the 3-4, even without Worthy.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Don't be surprised if Mr. Jolly wins a starting spot before the 6th regular season game. With what he has been through in his life, he has a fire burning inside of him to succeed. Take away a mans freedom and it changes him for life. This man is on a mission, so look out.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that Jolly was turning into a premier DL when he got suspended. Off for three years or not, the guy still is that caliber of player so I don't think it's an indictment of our current players. It's a product of how good Jolly was and appears to still be.

That said, I have no doubt that Jolly will wear down towards the end of the season. He will rotate in (hopefully) to keep his legs fresh. He's showing it all now to make the roster but those legs won't have the endurance to play a full season and beyond. However, I think that Jolly's heart and enthusiasm will reap huge benefits not just on the defensive line but throughout the defense. Everyone wondered who would take up the role of defensive leader when we let Woodson go into free agency. Clay Matthews rightly annointed himself that guy, but you may quickly see Jolly step into that role with Matthews. Redemption and inspiration are powerful tools in sports and beyond.

12theTruth

Let's not forget that Jolly was turning into a premier DL when he got suspended. Off for three years or not, the guy still is that caliber of player so I don't think it's an indictment of our current players. It's a product of how good Jolly was and appears to still be.

That said, I have no doubt that Jolly will wear down towards the end of the season. He will rotate in (hopefully) to keep his legs fresh. He's showing it all now to make the roster but those legs won't have the endurance to play a full season and beyond. However, I think that Jolly's heart and enthusiasm will reap huge benefits not just on the defensive line but throughout the defense. Everyone wondered who would take up the role of defensive leader when we let Woodson go into free agency. Clay Matthews rightly annointed himself that guy, but you may quickly see Jolly step into that role with Matthews. Redemption and inspiration are powerful tools in sports and beyond.

You wouldn't have known it that Jolly was or still had the capability of being a premier DL considering how many wrote him off completely. Those like Jolly and JJ Watt are a unique breed that have IT. Give him a chance and Jolly shall meet the challenge. Seeing him perform the way he is makes me even more frustrated about Raji :sick:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think you should go back and re-read what I wrote. I'm not disappointed in Jolly making the team, I'm disappointed that our picks along the dline have put the team in a position where he is one of the better players.

If Jolly was a mediocre player, you might have a point, but he's not. He's a very good player who makes plays.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jolly was a mediocre player, you might have a point, but he's not. He's a very good player who makes plays.

Jolly will be a positive for the team this year. However, don't let the good story override history. Jolly was terrific at knocking down passes, that's about it. In 2009 he played 807 snaps and pressured the QB 18 times (for comparison, Jenkins that year in 7 fewer snaps pressured the QB 40 times). His ability to stop the run was simply average that year (PFF rated him a -0.6).

That being said, I hope he does become an impact player for this team. But don't try and rewrite history to make him something he wasn't.

12theTruth

Here'sssssssss Johnnnnnny!

I'm so happy that the Packers allowed Johnny Jolly to have a second chance at things. Jolly has a good 3 to 4 high quality seasons in him yet. Hopefully he can help motivate BJ Raji now to fulfill his talent level. Some good things are going to happen with Hyde, Perry, Jolly, Matthews, Shields, etc. on defense.

Go Pack!!

H

HardRightEdge

Jolly will be a positive for the team this year. However, don't let the good story override history. Jolly was terrific at knocking down passes, that's about it. In 2009 he played 807 snaps and pressured the QB 18 times (for comparison, Jenkins that year in 7 fewer snaps pressured the QB 40 times). His ability to stop the run was simply average that year (PFF rated him a -0.6).

That being said, I hope he does become an impact player for this team. But don't try and rewrite history to make him something he wasn't.

I'd take 1 pass defended over 2 or 3 pressures. There is a concrete negative outcome for the opponent (an incomplete pass or an interception) with a pass defended. We saw Jolly cause one INT in preseason. A pressure could mean something or nothing.

Guys who regularly knock down passes at the line are usually guys who make a habit of trying to knock down passes when they know they're not getting to the QB...this can disrupt throwing lanes whether or not the ball is knocked down, a factor that cannot be measured.

I like that Jolly made the team. It has nothing to do with his performance from 3 years ago or some sentimental feelings arising from the hoped for bad-makes-good story. I like that Jolly made the team because he made a lot of plays in not a lot of snaps in this preseason.

OP
OP
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

well I rooted for him BECAUSE of the fact I am a sentimentalist, and I hoped he could turn his life around. I saw his interview and he KNEW he'd let himself and his family down AND his team too. I REALLY wanted him to make it and he has. Good for you Johnny, now go and kick some *** !!!!!!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take 1 pass defended over 2 or 3 pressures. There is a concrete negative outcome for the opponent (an incomplete pass or an interception) with a pass defended. We saw Jolly cause one INT in preseason. A pressure could mean something or nothing.

Guys who regularly knock down passes at the line are usually guys who make a habit of trying to knock down passes when they know they're not getting to the QB...this can disrupt throwing lanes whether or not the ball is knocked down, a factor that cannot be measured.

I like that Jolly made the team. It has nothing to do with his performance from 3 years ago or some sentimental feelings arising from the hoped for bad-makes-good story. I like that Jolly made the team because he made a lot of plays in not a lot of snaps in this preseason.

Pressures are much more consistent than knocking down passes. A knocked down pass could be better/worse/the same as a pressure. However you can count more consistently on guys that routinely get pressure and really good quarterbacks don't tend to get as many passes knocked down. Who would you rather have when playing Brady/Manning/Ryan, a guy with 10 blocked passes in 17 games or a guy with 10 sacks in those 17 games?

I also am happy Jolly made the team. He makes the team better. At what point have I stated that I don't want him to make the team? I simply said that I'm distraught our dline has been so weak over the past few years. Am I wrong in that? Has our dline not been weak over the last few years?

H

HardRightEdge

Who would you rather have when playing Brady/Manning/Ryan, a guy with 10 blocked passes in 17 games or a guy with 10 sacks in those 17 games?

My commentary was about pressures, not sacks. Pressures include a LOT of "hurries", a stat that is highly suspect.