Johnny Jolly charged with possession again

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they have to do anything like that. This is a painful object lesson about the dangers of drug use. It doesn't make them more wrong, it makes them more right.

And I don't think we need to worry about keeping him/dumping him. Because
a) He was in the midst of an indefinite suspension for a serious crime that he just got busted for doing again, while under probation.
b) He's going to prison this time.

Bring up Mike Vick if you want as evidence that the NFL gives even serious criminals second chances. Jolly was already on his second chance for being a drug abuser, suspected dealer, and general village-idiot. He won't be back in the NFL. Second chances are easy to get. Third chances, not so much.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It may not have been obvious but my suggestion that they go back to his audiences was not serious - that would be impractical. My point is Jolly should have been in the audience, not addressing it. He was basically on probation for one year to see if he could stay “clean”. It makes no sense to me to have him act as if he had overcome his drug problems and was prepared to warn others of the dangers of drugs before that year was up. Would you want someone currently involved in illegal drugs lecturing your child about its dangers?

My other point was not in regard to the NFL but about the concept of “Packer people”. I think some Packers fans have to modify their definition of it to be consistent with the Packers retaining the rights to Jolly from his arrest in July of 2008 to the end of the CBA, weeks ago. And Jolly played both the 2008 and 2009 seasons. The concept can certainly include good teammates and players that love football. But it can’t include “good character” or certainly not “good moral character”, can it? I’m not advocating that it should, just that some Packers fans (not sure how prevalent this has been here since I recently joined this forum) should recognize the Packers, like every other sports team I know about, gives a wider berth to players with good to great skills.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone think this will have any bearing on whether or not they keep Jenkins? Maybe knowing they won't get Jolly back will make TT more inclined to pay Cullen?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
is it coke or codiene
Codeine is his drug of choice (wonder if he'll develop a cough in prison?). From the Press Gazette: "Jolly was arrested in Houston early Friday morning and was charged with possession of codeine with the intent to distribute. Jolly was pulled over for a traffic violation and produced a state identification card instead of a driver’s license. Police discovered his license has been suspended and is ineligible to be renewed.

Police searched Jolly’s Escalade and allegedly discovered 600 grams of codeine and a bottle of an unknown substance."

- - -

I don't think Thompson intends to re-sign Jenkins. Apparently there hasn't been any contact between the Packers and Jenkin's agent for the past year, which led Jenkins to say he's 99% sure he's headed elsewhere. Jenkins just turned 30 and while he's extremely 'accountable', he has not been consistently 'available' (McCarhty's terms). Also, Thompson has Neal (the likely replacement for Jenkins IMO), Raji, Pickett, Wilson and Green (if they want him back) on the DL - a solid group for DC Capers to work with. Add a rookie and Thompson may be thinking it's time to move on from Jenkins.

For those hoping Jenkins comes back, the unsettled CBA may be of some help. If Thompson doesn't get a DL he's targeting within the first three rounds or so, he may break his tendency of not paying big money to over-30 players - like he did with Clifton and Tauscher - but I wouldn't get your hopes up since he has much, much better depth on the DL than he did at OT.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At some point, JJ has got to be sitting there thinking "Okay, I had a job paying me $300k+ per year to play a game. I was with the team that won the Superbowl. I was inline to make $10M+ on my next contract. And I pissed it away to look tough with my homies and maybe make a few $100k.

This kid needed a role model other than the local head gang leader.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At some point, JJ has got to be sitting there thinking "Okay, I had a job paying me $300k+ per year to play a game. I was with the team that won the Superbowl. I was inline to make $10M+ on my next contract. And I pissed it away to look tough with my homies and maybe make a few $100k.

But he would lose all his street cred!
Somebody think about the street cred, for crying out loud!

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score

People with his problems just don't think that way. They think they're invincible. It's something that is nearly impossible to make them see.

Reaction score
I don't really understand his actions... If he was in line for a new contract that was going to be pretty generous, he could have spent the money on all the pot he wanted. Now he's going to have to grow it himself and sell it to make his money.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts