Joe Barry is our new DC

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it's absolutely an accurate parallel. Relationships get people hired in every industry. Performance keeps them employed once they're hired. That last part is WAY more true of the NFL than most other industries. If Barry is horrible in Green Bay, he will be fired. It will not matter that he and LaFleur know each other from one year together in LA.

This flailing is absurd. Literally no one would be talking about this if LaFleur had hired a guy he knows who fans/media happened to like as a candidate.

People are pulling the race card or the nepotism card because they're pissed off that they didn't get their way. They can't accept that the powers that be at 1265 Lombardi thought Barry was their 2nd best option because of their in-depth research on the internet and what they read on Twitter. So that have to pull together conspiracy theories about secret racism and/or willful incompetency.

It's a temper tantrum.

Here's the reality. The Packers looked at what the Rams did last year on defense and saw that they were able to recreate the success of Vic Fangio to excellent results. So they targeted three guys: one college coach who may just be plain special, and two guys who LaFleur knows and potentially have the ability to do something like what Staley did in LA.

Leonhard turned them down (if this is all driven by nepotism-- why did he get the first offer?). So they went with the guy they had the most confidence would be able to bring that defensive scheme to the Packers. And they believe it's Barry.

Sounds crazy right? Much more likely that LaFleur sat Barry down and said, "Hey, I know you suck, but I owe you from that time you picked up the bar tab in Culver City, so let's do this thing."

I think you're talking about networking. Meeting a lot of people and passing the "barbecue test" (managers want to hire people that they would invite to their backyard barbecue) isn't the same thing as nepotism. Many NFL jobs are given to people that just aren't qualified but they've worked with the guy before or are related to them.

Networking is a common, and well-known, practice in every avenue of life. Almost one-third of companies don't hire a relative of another CEO to be the CEO of their company (which is what happened in the NFL from 2019-2020). I'm also not familiar with many major corporations in which almost 10% of senior management are related to each other (which, again, is the case in the NFL).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hope free agency is involved because finding 2 reliable rookies at corner is gonna be tough.
Don't get your hopes up for that to happen. Afterall, the Packers aren't in a good cap situation and finding reliable FA CB's typically are pretty pricey.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think you're talking about networking. Meeting a lot of people and passing the "barbecue test" (managers want to hire people that they would invite to their backyard barbecue) isn't the same thing as nepotism. Many NFL jobs are given to people that just aren't qualified but they've worked with the guy before or are related to them.

Networking is a common, and well-known, practice in every avenue of life. Almost one-third of companies don't hire a relative of another CEO to be the CEO of their company (which is what happened in the NFL from 2019-2020). I'm also not familiar with many major corporations in which almost 10% of senior management are related to each other (which, again, is the case in the NFL).

I'm saying that when networking happens in the NFL, it's always called nepotism.

And when guys who are perceived to be hired because of family connections are really successful, people tend to ignore them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hope free agency is involved because finding 2 reliable rookies at corner is gonna be tough.

True, but it's tough to find one in free agency without significant cap space as well.

In addition the Packers might end up being fine at cornerback by adding a talented outside CB using a combination of different players in the slot.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm saying that when networking happens in the NFL, it's always called nepotism.

And when guys who are perceived to be hired because of family connections are really successful, people tend to ignore them.

Then I'll speak out what I mean when I refer to nepotism: hiring family members or friends that don't appear qualified for a position.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but it's tough to find one in free agency without significant cap space as well.

In addition the Packers might end up being fine at cornerback by adding a talented outside CB using a combination of different players in the slot.

In today's game, slot corners need to be able to at least keep up with #1 receivers; there aren't many elite receivers that don't spend at least a quarter of their snaps in the slot. Packers are probably counting on a guy currently in the roster to become a relevant starter but that's a pretty big gamble considering what they showed against the Bucs.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Then I'll speak out what I mean when I refer to nepotism: hiring family members or friends that don't appear qualified for a position.

So do you believe that LaFleur intentionally hired an unqualified person just because they're pals?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So do you believe that LaFleur intentionally hired an unqualified person just because they're pals?

The guy's job performance in the same job in the past has not been good, so I'm not sure what else to blame it on. Yes, MLF probably liked the interview, but that tends to happen when you interview your pal.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The guy's job performance in the same job in the past has not been good, so I'm not sure what else to blame it on. Yes, MLF probably liked the interview, but that tends to happen when you interview your pal.

Wow. Ok then.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said it before so here I go again. Just so it does not get too stale. If I don't see any 3 man rushes; if I don't see any obvious too loose coverages or players dropping into coverage that just shouldn't be doing that; if I don't see confusion or a lack of readiness; if I see our players playing with intensity; then I will probably like the guy.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
if I don't see confusion
This bugged me the most about the "Dom." DBs giving up a big play to an uncovered receiver then pointing at one another as to who was responsible. Week after week, season after season. Killed a playoff run at least once.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello 1980's!! Glad we made an extensive search, I'm sure Barry would still be available 2 months from now. What a bonehead move

D

Deleted member 6794

In today's game, slot corners need to be able to at least keep up with #1 receivers; there aren't many elite receivers that don't spend at least a quarter of their snaps in the slot. Packers are probably counting on a guy currently in the roster to become a relevant starter but that's a pretty big gamble considering what they showed against the Bucs.

I understand that slot cornerbacks are important in today's game but as mentioned above the Packers might be able to get by using a combination of different players at the position based on matchups. They need to find an outside CB opposite of Alexander more desperately.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far Matt LaFleur and Gute have made good choices. I'm not going to second guess them on draft picks, coaches for special teams or defensive coordinator. I hope they will be with the Packers for a long time. It would mean they continue to do a great job.

D

Deleted member 6794

So far Matt LaFleur and Gute have made good choices. I'm not going to second guess them on draft picks, coaches for special teams or defensive coordinator. I hope they will be with the Packers for a long time. It would mean they continue to do a great job.

There's no doubt that overall both Gutekunst and MLF have done a great job. Unfortunately not good enough to get the Packers back to the Super Bowl.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt that overall both Gutekunst and MLF have done a great job. Unfortunately not good enough to get the Packers back to the Super Bowl.
I guess we could have stuck with McCarthy and not have won the super bowl. Actually, I guess we don't know that. We only know that we did not win it and therefore we could not have won it last year. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hello 1980's!! Glad we made an extensive search, I'm sure Barry would still be available 2 months from now. What a bonehead move

I don't know a lot about Barry, so I won't debate you on the hire. However,
I think waiting 2 months to hire a new DC perhaps might have been considered a bigger boneheaded move.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot fathom MLF not hiring the best DC available. His livelihood, career, and legacy are on the line.

It surprises me that it is Berry, he was the least likely of the final 3, or so I thought.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I cannot fathom MLF not hiring the best DC available. His livelihood, career, and legacy are on the line.

It surprises me that it is Berry, he was the least likely of the final 3, or so I thought.
Hey!!! Welcome back!! Or have you been here and you just finally unignored me? :ninja: Missed ya brother from another buggy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

"I'm surprised it was Barry" is not nearly as fun a response as "he's trying to suck on purpose by hiring a buddy."

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nobody hires someone they think is going to be bad at the job, it's just been well established that the in-person portion of the hiring process is generally just a chance to see if the boss likes the person being interviewed. It's much easier for someone that you like to convince you that they're going to be good at the job. Obviously MLF doesn't believe Barry is going to suck but that only means that Barry convinced MLF that Barry was the best option. Going by prior job performance that doesn't appear true but only time will tell.

GM's don't intentionally hire bad coaches and owners don't intentionally hire bad GMs; it's just easier to be wrong in an industry (like sports) that has so little in the way of tangible performance measures and, when those measures are really bad, has so many easy excuses to convince people they shouldn't be measured by those things.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nobody hires someone they think is going to be bad at the job, it's just been well established that the in-person portion of the hiring process is generally just a chance to see if the boss likes the person being interviewed. It's much easier for someone that you like to convince you that they're going to be good at the job. Obviously MLF doesn't believe Barry is going to suck but that only means that Barry convinced MLF that Barry was the best option. Going by prior job performance that doesn't appear true but only time will tell.

GM's don't intentionally hire bad coaches and owners don't intentionally hire bad GMs; it's just easier to be wrong in an industry (like sports) that has so little in the way of tangible performance measures and, when those measures are really bad, has so many easy excuses to convince people they shouldn't be measured by those things.

You literally said that MLF hired a bad coach on purpose because they’re buds.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about Barry, so I won't debate you on the hire. However,
I think waiting 2 months to hire a new DC perhaps might have been considered a bigger boneheaded move.
Not really, recent history tells us it doesn't matter when or who we hire at the DC spot. Always flashes of great games, but when January rolls around its the same ole same ole. Its been 10 + years since we had a dominate defense, now its hope like hell we outscore everyone, its just a waste of AR's time. Trust me, I hope Barry gets it turned around. Until I see it on weekly basis, it was a bad hire.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You literally said that MLF hired a bad coach on purpose because they’re buds.

Obviously MLF doesn't believe Barry is going to suck but that only means that Barry convinced MLF that Barry was the best option

Looks to me like he said Barry was hired because he left the impression he was the best, not that he left with MLF thinking he was a bad hire.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Looks to me like he said Barry was hired because he left the impression he was the best, not that he left with MLF thinking he was a bad hire.

Below.

Latest posts