Joe Barry is our new DC

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we kept all of Pettine's assistants.

My expectations for the defense are low again.

I don't really think the issues were with the positional coaches... more playcalling and scheme which in theory is solved with Barry. I didn't expect there'd be a mass exodus of positional coaches.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we kept all of Pettine's assistants.

My expectations for the defense are low again.

I really like the assistant coaches the Packers currently have. I wasn't hoping to see any one of them in particular replaced. But I did somehow want to see someone added who could help Barry install a new defense-- someone who has a background with him.

I don't really think the issues were with the positional coaches... more playcalling and scheme which in theory is solved with Barry. I didn't expect there'd be a mass exodus of positional coaches.

I surmise that that decision was on LaFleur. He's satisfied with the position coaches and this was really all about leadership/play calling. It's a long shot, but when Jerry Gray was last DC for the Bills Wade Phillips was the HC. So maybe there are concepts that he might be familiar with that Barry may be trying to incorporate into the defense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I surmise that that decision was on LaFleur. He's satisfied with the position coaches and this was really all about leadership/play calling. It's a long shot, but when Jerry Gray was last DC for the Bills Wade Phillips was the HC. So maybe there are concepts that he might be familiar with that Barry may be trying to incorporate into the defense.

Yeah, that he would change Pettine and nothing else indicates that he was happy with the actual teaching and dissatisfied with the game planning and play calling. And like I said, I don't see anyone on the staff that I feel like needs to go. But I hope the entire staff is able to get on the same page with Barry so that they aren't out of sync.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though Barry was definitely not my pick, I think this puts all the pressure on Gute to get this defense what it needs, particularly on the DL and Secondary. Even if Pettine was retained, DL has mostly been ignored since we selected Keke, granted I understand you want to give time for your picks to develop.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It's a long shot, but when Jerry Gray was last DC for the Bills Wade Phillips was the HC. So maybe there are concepts that he might be familiar with that Barry may be trying to incorporate into the defense.

Gray was the Bills' defensive coordinator from 2001-05. Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey were the head coaches over those five years.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like the assistant coaches the Packers currently have. I wasn't hoping to see any one of them in particular replaced. But I did somehow want to see someone added who could help Barry install a new defense-- someone who has a background with him.
There ya go, its not always great, its OK to be critical. The hire was awful, plain and simple. Disclaimer: I might change my mind by week 8, no guarantees!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There ya go, its not always great, its OK to be critical. The hire was awful, plain and simple. Disclaimer: I might change my mind by week 8, no guarantees!

If you think I’m never critical of anything, I suggest you read more of my posts.

Nothing is plain or simple about the hire of a guy who hasn’t coached a snap for the Packers yet.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think I’m never critical of anything, I suggest you read more of my posts.

Nothing is plain or simple about the hire of a guy who hasn’t coached a snap for the Packers yet.
Agree 100%, but all we can do is look at his history which is anything but great. At least with Capers and Pettine, there was a track record of success to feel good about. The Barry hire is as about as exciting as taking a trip to Delaware. Again, my opinion in mid March

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agree 100%, but all we can do is look at his history which is anything but great. At least with Capers and Pettine, there was a track record of success to feel good about. The Barry hire is as about as exciting as taking a trip to Delaware. Again, my opinion in mid March

All I can say is that before the hire, Barry was not my first choice but I said openly that he was an interesting candidate. There were guys I liked (Evero, Leonhard), a guy I was intrigued by (Barry), and everyone else.

I felt that way because of his work under Wade Phillips and Brandon Staley over the last four years— that’s since his last stint as a DC (which was not the disaster that people try to claim it was).

No one else has to agree, obviously. But the point is simply that my opinion of him was the same before and after the hire.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry had bad defenses while having bad personnel. Rare is the coach who can make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Barry has been a very good position coach under some very good coordinators.

That doesn’t mean he’s going to be a good DC. His prior failings also don’t mean he’s going to be a bad DC. I don’t see how someone like us could definitively say that a guy like Evero would make a better or worse DC than Barry.

D

Deleted member 6794

Barry had bad defenses while having bad personnel. Rare is the coach who can make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Barry has been a very good position coach under some very good coordinators.

That doesn’t mean he’s going to be a good DC. His prior failings also don’t mean he’s going to be a bad DC. I don’t see how someone like us could definitively say that a guy like Evero would make a better or worse DC than Barry.

It's entirely possible that Barry turns out to be a successful coordinator with the Packers but I understand fans being skeptical about him based on a lack of success during his earlier stints as a DC.

In addition him obviously not being their first choice doesn't inspire total confidence either.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that Barry turns out to be a successful coordinator with the Packers but I understand fans being skeptical about him based on a lack of success during his earlier stints as a DC.

In addition him obviously not being their first choice doesn't inspire total confidence either.

There have been quite a few times coaches that weren’t the first, or even second, choice have been good coaches.

D

Deleted member 6794

There have been quite a few times coaches that weren’t the first, or even second, choice have been good coaches.

True, there have been many who didn't work out as well.

Once again, I think it's fair to be skeptical about Barry based on his lack of success at the position.

Obviously I hope he has improved and will be able to coach a good unit with the talent available in Green Bay.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
True, there have been many who didn't work out as well.

Once again, I think it's fair to be skeptical about Barry based on his lack of success at the position.

Obviously I hope he has improved and will be able to coach a good unit with the talent available in Green Bay.
I think it’s fair to express skepticism as well.
Making a bold definitive statement that the hire was awful, plain and simple puts him on a limb of questionable strength 30 feet off the ground. Some of us have long memories and will not hesitate to laugh hysterically and chide him if that limb breaks.
Stuff like that is how we end up with threads like “Front office under fire” and “Fire Gute” junk. Knee jerk nonsense from the cheap seats.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it’s fair to express skepticism as well.
Making a bold definitive statement that the hire was awful, plain and simple puts him on a limb of questionable strength 30 feet off the ground.

I agree there's no reason to consider hiring Barry as an awful move at this point by any means.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Chiding you for your ridiculously worded post, and laughing hysterically at this post. Yes, it's ok to be critical, but only if your prognosis is correct.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh brother. If you are going to hire a retread, it should at least be a successful one.

Is this organization intentionally trying to run this team into the ground? What a horrible, horrible hire. There are 31 teams laughing at us right now.
Ya think those 31 teams are laughing at our defense now?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
like I just posted in another thread, I'm going to go with benefit of the doubt.
Good move. I try to do that too. We've got a very professionally competent organization. It's best to yield to their thought process. They got an excellent track record.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He had 2 stints as DC, failed both times and fell back to a position coach, taking years before someone gave him another chance as DC. If he was good and just needed better players, I don't think he'd go so long before his next DC stint. MLF thinks he knows something the rest of the league doesn't.
Interesting. Maybe he did?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Barry had a nice first season. I would say that he exceeded many fan's expectations including mine. Let's hope he doesn't get stale in a hurry after one or two good seasons like Dom Capers. Unlike previous D.C's, Barry has the benefit of having a lot of good young talent that he can mold. If Walker and Wyatt play well and injuries don't decimate the team like last year, I usually temper my expectations but I'm as excited about this team as any I have watched in the past
50 years!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Barry had a nice first season. I would say that he exceeded many fan's expectations including mine. Let's hope he doesn't get stale in a hurry after one or two good seasons like Dom Capers. Unlike previous D.C's, Barry has the benefit of having a lot of good young talent that he can mold. If Walker and Wyatt play well and injuries don't decimate the team like last year, I usually temper my expectations but I'm as excited about this team as any I have watched in the past
50 years!
And Barry had a schizophrenic first season. Roughly the first half the D was great, giving up about 14 ppg. Then in the second half that ballooned to 27 ppg. Then there was that awesome recovery where the D kept the Niners out of the end zone in the playoffs.

I think it's gonna be a great year. Injuries always pose a wild card. We don't need to talk about those until they happen. If they happen!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts