Jerron McMillian Released

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This guy McMillian was one of Teddy's reaches. Projected by most of the deep scouting services (scouts, magazines, websites) as an undrafted FA guy, or 7th round prospect, Teddy reached up and grabbed him in the 4th round..... it was a head-scratcher on NFL Network with Mike Mayock and ESPC with Kiper.
“Deep” scouting services, huh? :roflmao: Funny you never mentioned that after McMillian was drafted. In fact, you thought that was onehellofa draft class, including McMillian, didn’t you? Hindsight remains 20/20 and history is “revised”. BTW, according to the “experts”, Nick Collins was also a reach.

Releasing the Woodson of several years ago would have been a mistake. Releasing him when they did wasn’t IMO as he was an aging vet coming off an injury. The mistake was not being able to find another safety (IMO Woodson wasn’t well-suited at safety either – he excelled at nickel or “rover” and in that role, Heyward was supposed to be his replacement). I think those who believe Woodson would have rescued this D are thinking of the player of a few seasons ago. I don’t think the Packers would have won one more game with him in the defensive backfield this season.

If you guys listen to Josh Sitton on wssp 1250 am milwakee on Tuesday at 435, some answer would be answered. He addressed Newhouse specifically a few weeks ago.
Share that with the class - what did he say?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“Deep” scouting services, huh? :roflmao: Funny you never mentioned that after McMillian was drafted. In fact, you thought that was onehellofa draft class, including McMillian, didn’t you? Hindsight remains 20/20 and history is “revised”.
Despite hours and hours of reading and writing on mock draft sites leading up to that draft, I had never ever seen or heard of McMillian.
I tried to get on board with that pick after we took him, and I heard the word "physical" about him.
I bought into logic from you that if Ted took him, he must be right since he knows more about the player than the scout rankings and websites do.

He struck out on this one.

ThxJackieVainisi said:
Releasing the Woodson of several years ago would have been a mistake. Releasing him when they did wasn’t IMO as he was an aging vet coming off an injury.
Obviously it WAS a mistake.
Have you not seen what a mess we've had back there this year?
Have you not noticed that THIS YEAR, the rest of the safeties have combined for a total of ZERO interceptions?
We missed Burnett for about the first month.

Woodson, I believe, has not missed a game this year.

That was a mistake.
Why is this so hard for you to see, admit?

I doubt you admit that letting Cullin Jenkins go -after he helped us win a Super Bowl- was a mistake either.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
“Deep” scouting services, huh? :roflmao: Funny you never mentioned that after McMillian was drafted. In fact, you thought that was onehellofa draft class, including McMillian, didn’t you? Hindsight remains 20/20 and history is “revised”. BTW, according to the “experts”, Nick Collins was also a reach.

Releasing the Woodson of several years ago would have been a mistake. Releasing him when they did wasn’t IMO as he was an aging vet coming off an injury. The mistake was not being able to find another safety (IMO Woodson wasn’t well-suited at safety either – he excelled at nickel or “rover” and in that role, Heyward was supposed to be his replacement). I think those who believe Woodson would have rescued this D are thinking of the player of a few seasons ago. I don’t think the Packers would have won one more game with him in the defensive backfield this season.

Share that with the class - what did he say?

Sherrord was brought up to him..He said that at this late in the season that Newhouse isnt going anywhere..There were specific reasons, but right now I can't recall what he said

He didnt want to say he sucks, but you could tell he knew he isnt the best option...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you guys listen to Josh Sitton on wssp 1250 am milwakee on Tuesday at 435, some answer would be answered.

He addressed Newhouse specifically a few weeks ago.

In Texas so we don't get that radio station... but hopefully Sitton pointed out how sorry Newouse was and that he was taking up a roster space? and that he couldn't block John clayton.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In Texas so we don't get that radio station... but hopefully Sitton pointed out how sorry Newouse was and that he was taking up a roster space? and that he couldn't block John clayton.

It was b4 the Lion game

Stream it

http://www.sportsradio1250.com/

http://player.tritonmedia.com/entercom/WSSPAM

http://media.sportsradio1250.com/the-big-show.htm every Tuesday Sitton is on..I dont have time to sift through it..

But one of the radio hosts tells him Newhouse is horrible and why isnt Sherrod playing

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Damn I cant stream on this computer....I really want to hear that. Sitton really bad mouthing team mates? I can see trash talking another team, but your own team mates? wow. Thought that was always an untold no-no.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was b4 the Lion game

Stream it

http://www.sportsradio1250.com/

http://player.tritonmedia.com/entercom/WSSPAM

http://media.sportsradio1250.com/the-big-show.htm every Tuesday Sitton is on..I dont have time to sift through it..

But one of the radio hosts tells him Newhouse is horrible and why isnt Sherrod playing

Seems like Sherrod still isn't ready. You can tell Sitton didn't want to throw him under the bus but his thought's probably echo that of every Packers fan when it comes to Newhouse. I've started calling him lookout Newhouse as he gives up so many sacks and can't block!! i yell lookout! to Rodgers whenever Newhouse drops back in pass protection.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Despite hours and hours of reading and writing on mock draft sites leading up to that draft, I had never ever seen or heard of McMillian.
With all that reading and writing, after the pick why didn't you mention you had never heard of McMillian? If true, that's the definition of a reach, yet you didn't mention it? Instead you included him in saying it was onehellofa draft, didn't you? As I said it looks like revisionist history.

Not re-signing Cullen Jenkins was a mistake. And I have pointed out what I believe were other mistakes by Thompson. But not keeping Woodson wasn't one IMO. BTW, how many INTs does he have this season?

The problems on D would not have been solved by Woodson. And the obvious reason the season is in its current state is the loss of Rodgers. Keeping Woodson obviously wouldn't have done anything to fix that either.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) Not re-signing Cullen Jenkins was a mistake. And B) I have pointed out what I believe were other mistakes by Thompson.

But not keeping Woodson wasn't one IMO. BTW, how many INTs does he have this season?

C) The problems on D would not have been solved by Woodson.
A) Thank you, yes. We will never know if having Cullen would have made enough difference in the Giant playoff loss, but it would have helped for sure. See what he still did the following season.

B) Let's hear em.

C) Not just one guy could have solved it all, but it surely would have been an improvement over the guy who was just released and the guy who has alternated with him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all that reading and writing, after the pick why didn't you mention you had never heard of McMillian? If true, that's the definition of a reach, yet you didn't mention it? Instead you included him in saying it was onehellofa draft, didn't you? As I said it looks like revisionist history.

Not re-signing Cullen Jenkins was a mistake. And I have pointed out what I believe were other mistakes by Thompson. But not keeping Woodson wasn't one IMO. BTW, how many INTs does he have this season?

The problems on D would not have been solved by Woodson. And the obvious reason the season is in its current state is the loss of Rodgers. Keeping Woodson obviously wouldn't have done anything to fix that either.

Woodson has 1 int and three forced fumbles. He also has a fumble return for a touchdown. Our Safties???? ZERO int's... they seem to run into eachother or other db's then actually make plays on the ball. So even with Woodson being 36 and "a step slower" he's still better than our "younger a step quicker" safties. I understand where you are coming from but stats don't always define a player (even tho Woodson holds several NFL records) Woodson ws beloved by Packernation and was a great teammate, leader, and locker room guy.

Last edited:

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of who isn't here anymore,with the talent we supposedly have we should have pulled off at least one victory during the stretch that Rodgers has been out. I hate Rodgers is out but it is obvious he made the team better in a LOT of ways and maybe now we can see the team's weaknesses and shortcomings and they will and can be corrected for next season,coaches and players. This should make us a lot stronger in the future.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No reason Newhouse is still on this team. He should have been the first one out the door.
Really? Nobody on these forums disputes anymore that Newhouse isn't starting quality but how can you say this?

There are 30 threads here calling TT an idiot for cutting Harrell and Coleman loose without a viable alternate option. How would releasing Newhouse be different at this point? Getting rid of our only backup with knowledge of the offense sounds like the same move that everyone is bashing TT for making at the quarterback position.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
B) Let's hear em.
If you're interested, you search for them.

Anyone who has read a lot of my posts knows I'm a fan of Thompson's but I recognize his mistakes and have advocated he take actions that he didn't end up taking. If you don't believe that, I really don't care.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Releasing Woodson was a major mistake. Woodson was the captain of the defence. I'd rather take a player thats a step too slow but knows where to go and plays like a vet,over a step quicker guy that doesnt know much. Woodson provided a leadership role for this defence which is sorely lacking.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Releasing Woodson was a major mistake. Woodson was the captain of the defence. I'd rather take a player thats a step too slow but knows where to go and plays like a vet,over a step quicker guy that doesnt know much. Woodson provided a leadership role for this defence which is sorely lacking.
100% spot-on.
You can't measure heart.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson has 1 int and three forced fumbles. He also has a fumble return for a touchdown. Our Safties???? ZERO int's... they seem to run into eachother or other db's then actually make plays on the ball. So even with Woodson being 36 and "a step slower" he's still better than our "younger a step quicker" safties. I understand where you are coming from but stats don't always define a player (even tho Woodson holds several NFL records) Woodson ws beloved by Packernation and was a great teammate, leader, and locker room guy.
Well let me preface this by saying I'm no Burnett fan at all. My posts will back that up. He is a horrible tackler. I don't believe he is the answer at safety at all.

But I don't see where the numbers between Woodson and Burnett are excruciatingly different. Yes, Woodson has an int., and 3 forced fumbles. But other than that they are pretty even. Keep in mind that Burnett missed three games and Woodson has played all twelve.

I do agree his leadership was invaluable. We don't have anyone on defense that has moved up to accept that role.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make a good point about the leadership - it seems lacking on defense. But what is the difference if you have a wiley vet who gets burned for a TD by a WR with speed or a quicker rookie who gets burned for a TD by being out of position? The rookie may learn how not to get burned - Woodson isn't going to remember to be fast. Last season he seemed to be getting burned more an more. He just wasn't worth the $11.5M salary last season. It would have been extremely foolish to keep Woodson at this salary. Think about it this way, $11.5M is Shields and 1/2 of James Jones going forward. That is a lot.

Woodson's stats look okay for the Raiders this season, lots of tackles - but I haven't watched a game. I do know the Raiders pass defense is worse than the Packers - so how much of a difference could there be?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Nobody on these forums disputes anymore that Newhouse isn't starting quality but how can you say this?

There are 30 threads here calling TT an idiot for cutting Harrell and Coleman loose without a viable alternate option. How would releasing Newhouse be different at this point? Getting rid of our only backup with knowledge of the offense sounds like the same move that everyone is bashing TT for making at the quarterback position.

We know Newhouse isn't starting quality. That's kinda why he's not a starter. The o-line has had a solid season (except for the Detroit game). I think Ted has done a good job of building it, especially with Bulaga an IR and Sherrod still not ready.

And Bahktiari is a flat out fantastic pick. Bulaga will come back next season and will man one of the tackle spots. Sherrod will be the top back up. This o-line is looking up to me.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We know Newhouse isn't starting quality. That's kinda why he's not a starter. The o-line has had a solid season (except for the Detroit game). I think Ted has done a good job of building it, especially with Bulaga an IR and Sherrod still not ready.

And Bahktiari is a flat out fantastic pick. Bulaga will come back next season and will man one of the tackle spots. Sherrod will be the top back up. This o-line is looking up to me.
We still don't know what we have in Sherrod. I hope we find out this weekend - because we know what we have (or don't have) in Newhouse. I thought Newhouse showed some promise last season, I don't see much hope this season. Not sure what happened.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well with EDS getting hurt in practice yesterday now maybe we get to see the giant waste of space newhouse again!!!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To the people you have disagreed, to what part are you disagreeing? The line is in the middle of the league as far as pass protection and one of the top in run blocking - three different backs have had 100 hard games. That's solid. The lack of Rodgers isn't helping their sack numbers either. They've given up about the same numbers of sacks, but I guarantee it would be less with Rodgers. Rodgers is great at avoiding pass rush.

Regarding Bahktiari, for a later round rookie at left tackle, he is playing very well. How many times do teams spend a high first round pick on a left tackle? It looks like Thompson found a steal who will start for years.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^
^
The Packer OL has allowed 32 sacks and our QB's to be hit 58 times. It is ranked 18th based on that. God knows how many times Rodgers avoided more of this based on his Houdini escapes. I don't consider their performance Solid. Check out the definition of solid.

Members online

Latest posts