Jenkins says his days with Packers all but over

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
The Packers chose not to use a franchise or transition tag on any of their impending free agents and for defensive end Cullen Jenkins it means just one thing: He's out of here.

Source: JSOline.com

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont want to see him go, and its been a pleasure to watch him in Green & Gold.. But I also understand his point of view.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
too expensive. Plus with jolly and neal we should be okay. No worries guys. Trust TT.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really love Jenkins, but this seems like the right move. Even though it hurts, we just can't afford to pay that much money for him to be injured again. Now if he would like to lower his asking price significantly, maybe something could get done...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When healthy, Jenkins is a tremendous run stopper and great pass rusher. I hate to see him go. Putting your trust in Jolly worries me. But TT and MM know these guys better than any of us, so I agree with Ivo that we've got to trust their opinion.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jolly has character issues and sadly Jenkins would want a salary in the $8 mil range. That is way too much for us to keep him considering other players will need to be signed in the future. We have Neal who looked great before hurting so our DL won't be totally depleted next year. We'll probably draft a DE in middle rounds for depth too.

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand Jenkins having hurt feelings that there really wasn't much effort put forth by the Pack to re-sign him, but he would REALLY would of had his feelings hurt if Ted would have given him a low ball offer. With the system the Pack has, it doesn't not make sense to offer and sign Jenkins for what he is worth on the open market.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Dang.

I hope Jolly still has his game.

I don't like the idea of Jolly coming back. Yeah, he paid for his mistake this time, but this isn't the first time. He was warned by management and coaches to stay away from certain people and like a moth to the flames, he keeps going back.

It's a big big risk to bring him back; a. because it's unknown how he will play after a year off. and b. because he's shown that he has a tendency to keep falling back into the same bad habits.

Cut him loose.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of Jolly coming back. Yeah, he paid for his mistake this time, but this isn't the first time. He was warned by management and coaches to stay away from certain people and like a moth to the flames, he keeps going back.

It's a big big risk to bring him back; a. because it's unknown how he will play after a year off. and b. because he's shown that he has a tendency to keep falling back into the same bad habits.

Cut him loose.

I dont really see the risk. He is due about 2.5 mil next season. Then he is a FA, so it will be a contract year for him. I would say avoid giving him a long term deal but this has no long term risk for the packers. If he has any common sense he knows his fiscal future depends on the 2011 season.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I dont really see the risk. He is due about 2.5 mil next season. Then he is a FA, so it will be a contract year for him. I would say avoid giving him a long term deal but this has no long term risk for the packers. If he has any common sense he knows his fiscal future depends on the 2011 season.

The reason I think it is a risk is because he could get back on the team and 2 games into the season get busted again. Then that 2.5 mil is spent on a jailbird. I'd rather see them dump him and use the money to add to incentives for Hawk or Jenkins.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well in all fairness, if he gets busted for something stupid, he'll certainly get a suspension to go along with it. The league will have him on a short leash. And if he's suspended it will be suspension without pay. That's how the system works. I think the risk is if you keep him on the roster you'll have to cut someone else, and that someone else may be a player they'd wish they'd have kept. And if Jolly gets suspended, not only would they lose the guy who got cut to make a roster spot for Jolly, they'd lose Jolly too. That's a lose-lose. Thompson didn't get this team a Super Bowl title by making lose-lose decisions.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins could stay a Packer if HE CHOOSES to remain a Packer.
If his #1 priority is to break the bank, to get as max of a contract as possible, then he's gone but because he's choosing that.

I want the big fella to stay so badly.... nobody drafted him. We gave him his chance, and his Super Bowl ring. He didn't do much in the Super Bowl. Think of a big play in that game, there were many.... he didn't make any.

That being said, he's great and has about 2 more great years in him, then a couple more good ones. But I trust Ted on this one... it's gotta be a tough one for him.... combined with Hawk, Colledge, Jones, Jackson, etc.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason I think it is a risk is because he could get back on the team and 2 games into the season get busted again. Then that 2.5 mil is spent on a jailbird. I'd rather see them dump him and use the money to add to incentives for Hawk or Jenkins.

to be fair the last one lingered out there for awhile, but like bozz said it wouldnt be all a waste as we would only pay him for the games he played in. I think he is worth the roster spot risk.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
to be fair the last one lingered out there for awhile, but like bozz said it wouldnt be all a waste as we would only pay him for the games he played in. I think he is worth the roster spot risk.

That could be right. I just keep thinking; "Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice shame on me."

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see what your saying. But personally I am more worried about stupid things he might do on the field more. No more head butts please.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As I understand it, the Packers haven't made any offer to Jenkins. If that's the case I understand why Jenkins is disappointed. I think Thompson's MO is pretty clear - he's usually going to try to extend players he wants to keep the year before their deal is up. Pickett is a recent exception to that "rule" but I do believe that's the rule. I really like Jenkins too but I believe over the past three seasons he's missed 16-17 games - a full season's worth. McCarthy talks about availability and accountability and Jenkins is extremely accountable when he's on the field IMO but not available enough for the money he'd demand. I think Mike Neal is going to be something special if he isn't injury prone. Fortunately the Packers are going to have to have money and (probably in the new CBA) cap space to extend young stars over the next few seasons.

Regarding Jolly I think it boils down to one thing: Has he finally severed all ties with his "buddies" back in Houston, including those in the vehicle with him when he got arrested? If he has I'd welcome him back and if he hasn't, I wouldn't. The question that comes to mind for me regarding Jolly is how does retaining his rights and having him on the active roster after his arrest jibe with the notion of "Packer people"? Or is that concept just limited to how players interact with teammates in the locker room and between the lines?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think "Packer People" is just lip service. The generally understood meaning is that they need to be upstanding members of society who are key contributors and leaders in all aspects of their lives; in the classroom and weightroom, on the field, in the home and in the community.

What I think it really means is "hard worker".

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think its wrong to think we'll be fine without Jenkins as long as we get Jolly back. Jenkins is the second best pass rusher on the team next to Matthews AND he plays the run very well. Jolly, much like Pickett, is primarily a run stopper (although he will block some passes). Hypothetically, with Jolly taking Jenkins' snaps, we'd be great against the run, but not as great against the pass. And that is assuming Jolly can still play like he did a couple seasons ago.

Of course we have to keep Mike Neal in mind, as in his limited snaps he got this past season he showed some pass rushing promise. But I think we are all worried about him being potentially injury prone.

My pick for the first round this year is an o-lineman, other people seem to think we need a LB or even a CB. But I wouldn't be surprised if TT goes with another big boy up front (D-line). Either way, at this point I think we can all trust that whatever Ted does is probably for the best.

Members online

Latest posts