JC Tretter named starting center

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So is Tretter starting because Linsley is still bothered by the hammy? Thats no different than the last 2 games. Or are they saying Tretter will start week 1?

McCarthy was obviously talking about Tretter being the starter in week 1.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really have a hard time wrapping your head around the league having a hard salary cap, eh???

There's absolutely no way the Packers will be able to re-sign all four starters on the offensive line headed for free agency next offseason.
No. Im just saying i would rather have bahk than sitton or lang. Is that so hard to understand?

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley still on PUP & not practicing pretty much assures Barclay a spot, as Tretter & Barclay are the 2 "swing" guys.
As of right now I see the 53-man OL as:
LT - Bakhtiari, Spriggs
LG - Sitton
OC - Tretter
RG - Lang
RT - Bulaga, Murphy

Swing Guys: Barclay, Rotheram

Don't know if Rotheram is better than Lane Taylor at Guard (haven't seen any of the preseason games :( ), but he can be plugged in at any of the 3 interior spots.

Packers.com is reporting Rotheram was released today.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This makes me wonder if Linsley's injury is worse than I thought.
Linsley sat out the 5/24/16 OTA's and to the best of my knowledge has been "nursing" a hamstring injury. It must be pretty bad if it's been 3 months and still no sign of him leaving PUP. :(

DOH!!! Just saw the post about Rotheram getting released. My predictions suck so far ... more to come :).

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers.com is reporting Rotheram was released today.
Just read that also. What a bummer, IMO he has a future in the NFL and will land on with another ball club, maybe Philly? That leaves Barclay as our backup center. That's not very comforting!!! Wonder what the reason for letting Rotheram walk was?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read that also. What a bummer, IMO he has a future in the NFL and will land on with another ball club, maybe Philly? That leaves Barclay as our backup center. That's not very comforting!!! Wonder what the reason for letting Rotheram walk was?

Rotheram was injured since the Cleveland game so, was given an injury settlement.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

No. Im just saying i would rather have bahk than sitton or lang. Is that so hard to understand?

Actually it is pretty hard to understand as the Packers have a potential replacement for Bakhtiari on the roster while their best backup guard is most likely Lane Taylor who shouldn't be anywhere near starting. It's probable the team won't be able to re-sign Sitton and Lang but if Thompson decides to let both walk away in free agency what's your plan to replace them???

That leaves Barclay as our backup center. That's not very comforting!!!

Hopefully Linsley will be healthy by the start of the season to backup Tretter.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I am advocating for it, I think that a possible plan by TT would be to have Linsley back at center next season with Lane Taylor and JC Tretter at the guard spots. Re-sign Bahktiari and have Spriggs ready to take over at RT once Bulaga's body finally breaks down for good. It's not ideal but it is also a fathomable route when the cap comes into play.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Not that I am advocating for it, I think that a possible plan by TT would be to have Linsley back at center next season with Lane Taylor and JC Tretter at the guard spots. Re-sign Bahktiari and have Spriggs ready to take over at RT once Bulaga's body finally breaks down for good. It's not ideal but it is also a fathomable route when the cap comes into play.

There's no way Tretter should starter at guard. I don't expect Taylor to turn into a decent starter either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're addressing the ideal. I'm addressing what's possible. I agree with you about Taylor, although Tretter can do both. I've seen others say that Linsley would be better at guard than Tretter, and maybe that's how this would swing.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with you about Taylor, although Tretter can do both.

Tretter looked surprisingly good playing left tackle against the Redskins in the playoffs last season but I can't imagine him excelling at guard.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I am remembering correctly, he played guard against the Bears when we blew them out at Lambeau two years ago.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If I am remembering correctly, he played guard against the Bears when we blew them out at Lambeau two years ago.

You're right about that, here's what McGinn wrote about his performance though:

Tretter played nine snaps at left guard and 14 at left tackle in his regular season debut and it wasn't pretty. He allowed a team high 2 1/2 pressures. Before the Packers can be confident in Tretter's ability to play tackle and guard, he needs all kinds of technique work with his hands and set.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bears-b99387933z1-282239421.html

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, but as an article from BleacherReport began, "In "garbage time" against the Chicago Bears, J.C. Tretter, the second-year lineman from Cornell, finally made his NFL debut. After battling through injuries for the better part of two seasons, he was played in a reserve role as a left guard when starting left guard Josh Sitton came out of the game late in the third quarter (due to the 48-7 lead that the Green Bay Packers had built)."

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that I fully expect that Taylor, Tretter, Barclay and Walker will all improve as players compared to where they were last year. I'm also hoping that Linsely recovers well and continues his development. I think it's likely we've seen Sitton and Lang's best season long performances and the skill gap between them and the younger guys will continue to close. I'm pretty upbeat about the future of our offensive line. Of course, a rash of injuriess can change perceptions quickly. That's the way it goes in the NFL.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that I fully expect that Taylor, Tretter, Barclay and Walker will all improve as players compared to where they were last year. I'm also hoping that Linsely recovers well and continues his development. I think it's likely we've seen Sitton and Lang's best season long performances and the skill gap between them and the younger guys will continue to close. I'm pretty upbeat about the future of our offensive line. Of course, a rash of injuriess can change perceptions quickly. That's the way it goes in the NFL.

Neither Sitton nor Lang have shown any decline in performance so far. As long as that doesn't happen there's no reason to think any of the youngsters could adequately replace any of them. Walker isn't even a lock to make the final roster.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barclay doesnt hold the ends well. But he might be a good stump in the middle... He would be a good guard most likely . the extra junk in the trunk that makes him a slow tackle, should be an asset against d tackles in a smaller space

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Sitton nor Lang have shown any decline in performance so far. As long as that doesn't happen there's no reason to think any of the youngsters could adequately replace any of them. Walker isn't even a lock to make the final roster.
Having two solid guards the last 6 years hasnt stopped rodgers from collecting a LOT of sacks... I suspect if we had the tackles and center playing well. The guards could be replaced with little effect on rodgers health. The running game will suffer most likely a bit more...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
True although I think Sitton wasn't as good in 15 as he had been in some of his previous seasons. No stats to back that up though, just general observation. Clearly, mgmt will have to make decisions on where they are best able to replace veterans. I'm not an insider nor have a crystal ball, but I expect that the up and comers will make mgmt's decision for them. The wild card could be, one of these older vets with expiring contracts may want to finish his career in Green Bay and be willing to sign on for a small contract with ULTBE incentives.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Having two solid guards the last 6 years hasnt stopped rodgers from collecting a LOT of sacks... I suspect if we had the tackles and center playing well. The guards could be replaced with little effect on rodgers health. The running game will suffer most likely a bit more...

Sitton and Lang have done an excellent job protecting Rodgers. The tackles have been responsible for most of the sacks.

True although I think Sitton wasn't as good in 15 as he had been in some of his previous seasons. No stats to back that up though, just general observation. Clearly, mgmt will have to make decisions on where they are best able to replace veterans. I'm not an insider nor have a crystal ball, but I expect that the up and comers will make mgmt's decision for them. The wild card could be, one of these older vets with expiring contracts may want to finish his career in Green Bay and be willing to sign on for a small contract with ULTBE incentives.

Pro Football Focus ranked both Lang (fifth) and Sitton (sixth) as top 10 guards in the league last season. It´s close to impossible to include unlikely to be earned incentives into a contract for offensive linemen.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton and Lang have done an excellent job protecting Rodgers. The tackles have been responsible for most of the sacks.

Pro Football Focus ranked both Lang (fifth) and Sitton (sixth) as top 10 guards in the league last season. It´s close to impossible to include unlikely to be earned incentives into a contract for offensive linemen.
Agreed. The guard positions filled themselves almost imediately after we decided to let college go and get bigger up front... The tackle positions have been basicly our biggest problem for a long time.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. The guard positions filled themselves almost imediately after we decided to let college go and get bigger up front... The tackle positions have been basicly our biggest problem for a long time.

To be fair the tackles are given the toughest assignment in pass protection and Bakhtiari and Bulaga have mostly performed on a high level in that area.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair the tackles are given the toughest assignment in pass protection and Bakhtiari and Bulaga have mostly performed on a high level in that area.
Looking back on it, Bakhtiari gets a lot of flak here but he really saved the day his rookie year. It was incredibly good fortune for us to have a 4th round pick come in and be able to start and play well like he did at that position. No one here could have imagined that scenario would play out so well for us. Kind of like Clifton and Tauscher's rookie year. Not everything in Green Bay is bad luck.

Latest posts