JC Tretter named starting center

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One loses the starting job due to injury, one takes advantage of an opportunity because of injury and gets job back. Good for him. I feel bad for linsley, but having two good young guys is a good problem to have at the position.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One loses the starting job due to injury, one takes advantage of an opportunity because of injury and gets job back. Good for him. I feel bad for linsley, but having two good young guys is a good problem to have at the position.
This sort of translates to the bahktiari/spriggs situation. Except lindsley has proven to be a good starter already...
Point is, we have a guy who we will have to pay well to keep, with a good replacment on the roster... Why? Because he is a bit better and the backup is still on a rookie deal...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless BahkT takes a nice step forward, I think 4-6 million a year is plenty for him. No way I'd give him 9. If Spriggs isn't it, I'd keep looking till I found his replacement.

Tretter and Linsley are both on rookie deals, both have shown they can play. Personally I've thought higher of Tretter and think he's the better of the 2 anyway.

I'm not going to get too caught up in this yet, the season will give us answers or at least make things more clear.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless BahkT takes a nice step forward, I think 4-6 million a year is plenty for him. No way I'd give him 9. If Spriggs isn't it, I'd keep looking till I found his replacement.

Tretter and Linsley are both on rookie deals, both have shown they can play. Personally I've thought higher of Tretter and think he's the better of the 2 anyway.

I'm not going to get too caught up in this yet, the season will give us answers or at least make things more clear.
There are currently 46 LT's in the league making more/yr. than Bakhtiari's $653,850/yr avg. Using extremely round numbers the average LT salary of those 46 top-paid LT's is $5.3Mil/yr. Bakh is at the very least better than 1/2 of them, and probably at least a top-20 LT.

He's significantly out-played his current contract and should (rightfully) be making at least 10x his current pay, and with salaries escalating probably closer to 15x ($10Mil/yr., which would only rank him #10 on highest-paid LT's right now). I don't think our '17 cap will allow for that type of salary bump, so I'm really, really hoping Spriggs (currently making $1.2Mil/yr.!) steps-up in preseason as well as whatever in-season snaps he gets. AR IS the franchise and needs a stable, capable LT protecting him however that needs to happen.

Sky King

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer not to rush to judgment. There is still a half preseason, an entire season and (hopefully) a playoff run yet to go. Then the gap between season's end and free-agency itself. There's a multitude of things that will happen before then.

But please don't put away your crystal balls. This all makes for interesting reading.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sort of translates to the bahktiari/spriggs situation. Except lindsley has proven to be a good starter already...
Point is, we have a guy who we will have to pay well to keep, with a good replacment on the roster... Why? Because he is a bit better and the backup is still on a rookie deal...

And if Tretter somehow manages to get an offer for 9+ million next offseason then they should let him walk also and add depth through the draft

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if Tretter somehow manages to get an offer for 9+ million next offseason then they should let him walk also and add depth through the draft
You think for a minute that they would bench lindsley if they planned on letting tretter go?

No way.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as Centers salaries a #10 on top-paid would be $6.375Mil/yr. and #20 would be $2Mil/yr. using current Overthecap figures. Tretter is completely in control of his future contract with his starting-center play in '16. Linsley is under contract thru '17 so TT has more options.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as Centers salaries a #10 on top-paid would be $6.375Mil/yr. and #20 would be $2Mil/yr. using current Overthecap figures. Tretter is completely in control of his future contract with his starting-center play in '16. Linsley is under contract thru '17 so TT has more options.

I know. I was replying to the viewed similarities to the Bakhtiari/Spiggs situation being in the other thread

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Tretter truly is the better center then he should be the starter but this also impacts the bench and shuffling around on the line in case of injury. Tretter is a backup at multiple positions while Linsley has only played center if I recall correctly. If an injury at guard means Tretter will switch to that position and Linsley comes in at center its another case of 1 injury affecting 2 positions. in this case its not so bad because Linsley has shown he can do the job and he does have experience with Rodgers so its not like a complete stranger coming in but it does has an effect.

Its a moot point for now since Linsley is unable to play but if the two are healthy and their play is equal I'd just as soon see the more versatile player being first off the bench.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be crazily shocking to see Tretter get a 9+ million per year offer. There is absolutely no way we have 4 offensive linemen that would all get offers like that.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley still on PUP & not practicing pretty much assures Barclay a spot, as Tretter & Barclay are the 2 "swing" guys.
As of right now I see the 53-man OL as:
LT - Bakhtiari, Spriggs
LG - Sitton
OC - Tretter
RG - Lang
RT - Bulaga, Murphy

Swing Guys: Barclay, Rotheram

Don't know if Rotheram is better than Lane Taylor at Guard (haven't seen any of the preseason games :( ), but he can be plugged in at any of the 3 interior spots.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

You think for a minute that they would bench lindsley if they planned on letting tretter go?

No way.

You really have a hard time wrapping your head around the league having a hard salary cap, eh???

There's absolutely no way the Packers will be able to re-sign all four starters on the offensive line headed for free agency next offseason.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any chance we're over-estimating the demand for a guy who was out his entire first year, half the second, and has started three games (as a backup) in his entire career? Love Tretter, but will other teams give him starter money? Will let you know early next year, but I think it's a fair question at this point.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Any chance we're over-estimating the demand for a guy who was out his entire first year, half the second, and has started three games (as a backup) in his entire career? Love Tretter, but will other teams give him starter money? Will let you know early next year, but I think it's a fair question at this point.

I expected a team to offer Tretter starter caliber money even before the Packers made this move. Now it depends on his performance in 2016.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This makes me wonder if Linsley's injury is worse than I thought.

H

HardRightEdge

Mike McCarthy announced today that Tretter has earned the job and Corey Linsley will be his backup.
He played well last year, and has looked good in preseason. Tretter might be the better run blocker. Not missing a beat at this position, for one season anyway.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is Tretter starting because Linsley is still bothered by the hammy? Thats no different than the last 2 games. Or are they saying Tretter will start week 1?

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tretter will be starting regardless of Linsely's availability. Linsley hasn't even had the chance to compete this summer and there is no evidence that he will be returning anytime soon.

Members online

Latest posts