1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

JC Tretter named starting center

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, Aug 22, 2016.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,658
    Mike McCarthy announced today that Tretter has earned the job and Corey Linsley will be his backup.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,796
    One loses the starting job due to injury, one takes advantage of an opportunity because of injury and gets job back. Good for him. I feel bad for linsley, but having two good young guys is a good problem to have at the position.

3. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    This sort of translates to the bahktiari/spriggs situation. Except lindsley has proven to be a good starter already...
    Point is, we have a guy who we will have to pay well to keep, with a good replacment on the roster... Why? Because he is a bit better and the backup is still on a rookie deal...

4. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,658
    Tretter is still on his rookie deal as well.

5. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Unless BahkT takes a nice step forward, I think 4-6 million a year is plenty for him. No way I'd give him 9. If Spriggs isn't it, I'd keep looking till I found his replacement.

Tretter and Linsley are both on rookie deals, both have shown they can play. Personally I've thought higher of Tretter and think he's the better of the 2 anyway.

I'm not going to get too caught up in this yet, the season will give us answers or at least make things more clear.

6. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +328
    There are currently 46 LT's in the league making more/yr. than Bakhtiari's $653,850/yr avg. Using extremely round numbers the average LT salary of those 46 top-paid LT's is $5.3Mil/yr. Bakh is at the very least better than 1/2 of them, and probably at least a top-20 LT.

He's significantly out-played his current contract and should (rightfully) be making at least 10x his current pay, and with salaries escalating probably closer to 15x ($10Mil/yr., which would only rank him #10 on highest-paid LT's right now). I don't think our '17 cap will allow for that type of salary bump, so I'm really, really hoping Spriggs (currently making $1.2Mil/yr.!) steps-up in preseason as well as whatever in-season snaps he gets. AR IS the franchise and needs a stable, capable LT protecting him however that needs to happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +968
    Personally, I prefer not to rush to judgment. There is still a half preseason, an entire season and (hopefully) a playoff run yet to go. Then the gap between season's end and free-agency itself. There's a multitude of things that will happen before then.

But please don't put away your crystal balls. This all makes for interesting reading.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. RRyder

RRyder Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +505
    And if Tretter somehow manages to get an offer for 9+ million next offseason then they should let him walk also and add depth through the draft

9. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    You think for a minute that they would bench lindsley if they planned on letting tretter go?

No way.

10. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Linsley is on the PUP.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +328
    As far as Centers salaries a #10 on top-paid would be $6.375Mil/yr. and #20 would be $2Mil/yr. using current Overthecap figures. Tretter is completely in control of his future contract with his starting-center play in '16. Linsley is under contract thru '17 so TT has more options.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    I thought he played this season already... ?

13. RRyder

RRyder Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +505
    I know. I was replying to the viewed similarities to the Bakhtiari/Spiggs situation being in the other thread

• Like Like x 1
  14. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Nope, not yet.

15. RRyder

RRyder Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +505
    Nope. Prime canidate for the PUP/IR Designated to Return lists.... The CoJ should be worried.... ( Sorry. Couldn't help myself)

16. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +510
    If Tretter truly is the better center then he should be the starter but this also impacts the bench and shuffling around on the line in case of injury. Tretter is a backup at multiple positions while Linsley has only played center if I recall correctly. If an injury at guard means Tretter will switch to that position and Linsley comes in at center its another case of 1 injury affecting 2 positions. in this case its not so bad because Linsley has shown he can do the job and he does have experience with Rodgers so its not like a complete stranger coming in but it does has an effect.

Its a moot point for now since Linsley is unable to play but if the two are healthy and their play is equal I'd just as soon see the more versatile player being first off the bench.

• Like Like x 1
  17. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +460
    That would be crazily shocking to see Tretter get a 9+ million per year offer. There is absolutely no way we have 4 offensive linemen that would all get offers like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +328
    Linsley still on PUP & not practicing pretty much assures Barclay a spot, as Tretter & Barclay are the 2 "swing" guys.
    As of right now I see the 53-man OL as:
    LT - Bakhtiari, Spriggs
    LG - Sitton
    OC - Tretter
    RG - Lang
    RT - Bulaga, Murphy

Swing Guys: Barclay, Rotheram

Don't know if Rotheram is better than Lane Taylor at Guard (haven't seen any of the preseason games :( ), but he can be plugged in at any of the 3 interior spots.

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,658
    You really have a hard time wrapping your head around the league having a hard salary cap, eh???

There's absolutely no way the Packers will be able to re-sign all four starters on the offensive line headed for free agency next offseason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +670
    Any chance we're over-estimating the demand for a guy who was out his entire first year, half the second, and has started three games (as a backup) in his entire career? Love Tretter, but will other teams give him starter money? Will let you know early next year, but I think it's a fair question at this point.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,658
    I expected a team to offer Tretter starter caliber money even before the Packers made this move. Now it depends on his performance in 2016.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. JK64

JK64 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +71
    This makes me wonder if Linsley's injury is worse than I thought.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,747
    He played well last year, and has looked good in preseason. Tretter might be the better run blocker. Not missing a beat at this position, for one season anyway.

24. Arthur Squires

Arthur Squires Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +93
    So is Tretter starting because Linsley is still bothered by the hammy? Thats no different than the last 2 games. Or are they saying Tretter will start week 1?

25. JK64

JK64 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +71
    Tretter will be starting regardless of Linsely's availability. Linsley hasn't even had the chance to compete this summer and there is no evidence that he will be returning anytime soon.