Jaylon Smith discussion

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Jaylon Smith hype train has been running for a long time....pre and post injury, as it should. The guy has the physical and mental make-up of a winner. Most feel he would have been top 5 without the injury. Even after the injury and up until the combine, he was still in the conversation for mid first round. Given the nature of the unknown of picking even a healthy prospect, if there is a decent chance the guy is close to being 100% for 2017, I hope he is being seriously considered by TT. Just where he is picked has a lot to do with the information and the interpretation of his injury that each team has. I'm guessing Dallas has the most information, since their team doctor performed the surgery.

If he is a Packer by the end of the week, I will be smiling. Even if the Packers have to use their #1 on him. For if they did, that would tell me 2 things; first, that they have full confidence in his recovery and second, he wasn't going to be around much longer because of it.

If he slides out of the second round, then I truly believe no team knows what his future holds.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Willis McGahee can go in the first round, I don't see why Smith can't. I'll be very surprised to see him make it to the end of round 2

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Willis McGahee can go in the first round, I don't see why Smith can't. I'll be very surprised to see him make it to the end of round 2

The newest articles I can find on this, have some thinking he just may go towards the end of round 1. Which means if the Packers want him, they may have to roll the dice at #27. Unless, they think he will still be around early in second and trade back to pick him and gain a #3 in the process.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All notre dame players are hyped... And usually suck.... Is smith different?

I think these guys would disagree with you :D

Joe Theismann
Justin Tuck
Tim Brown
Curly Lambeau
Nick Buoniconti
Paul Hornung
Alan Paige
Dave Casper
Joe Montana
Jerome Bettis

Who knows what Jaylon Smith will do. But IMO, the hype was legit.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think these guys would disagree with you :D

Joe Theismann
Justin Tuck
Tim Brown
Curly Lambeau
Nick Buoniconti
Paul Hornung
Alan Paige
Dave Casper
Joe Montana
Jerome Bettis

Who knows what Jaylon Smith will do. But IMO, the hype was legit.

That list is why they are hyped. Most recent on the list is the bus? 90s.

I see tuck now... Still not loving ND in last quarter century.

D

Deleted member 6794

Some of these talent evaluators really think smith was a great one. One guy said he was head and shoulders above the rest of the prospects....

? Huh???

I mean was he really that good?

So lets look at this in this light. Say je is the andrew luck of ilb prospects... How high could we justify drafting him? Im a bit more interested now... These guys cant be saying crazy stuff like tthis without some kind of foundation of truth...

Smith would have been by far the best coverage linebacker in this year´s draft, even capable of covering slot receivers. He would have been long gone before the Packers are on the clock if not for his devastating injury.

If he is a Packer by the end of the week, I will be smiling. Even if the Packers have to use their #1 on him. For if they did, that would tell me 2 things; first, that they have full confidence in his recovery and second, he wasn't going to be around much longer because of it.

Unfortunately with the Packers completely ignoring the position in free agency I don´t think the Packers can afford to use their first round pick on Smith.

The newest articles I can find on this, have some thinking he just may go towards the end of round 1. Which means if the Packers want him, they may have to roll the dice at #27.

Most experts have Smith being drafted in the third round or later.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of these talent evaluators really think smith was a great one. One guy said he was head and shoulders above the rest of the prospects....

? Huh???

I mean was he really that good?

So lets look at this in this light. Say je is the andrew luck of ilb prospects... How high could we justify drafting him? Im a bit more interested now... These guys cant be saying crazy stuff like tthis without some kind of foundation of truth...

Honestly if he weren't injured, I'd have been fine with TT doing our 1st+2017 1st+ maybe a 2nd and 4th or whatever to move up and grab him....I BELIEVE he is that **** good. The key though is he appears to have been that good. Key word is "been"....speculation varies on what he will "be".

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a big difference between Te'o and Smith, if that's what you're asking.

And honestly Te'o isn't a slouch for his team. Smith was/is much better than Te'o...MUCH.

People ask if ND players are over hyped...honestly it is their QB's that suck lately into the pro's not their other spots for the most part. You'll find good and bad. The program isn't why Smith was gonna go Top 10...possibly Top 5...it was because he (pre-injury) was that **** good.