Jaylon Smith discussion

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you all know by now, he might be out for most of (if not all?) of the coming season. He'll be there when we pick at #27. A lot of people had him pegged as the best player in the entire draft. He is an ILB and a good one. Question is, do you think TT drafts him at 27? I think its likely now, after hearing more from others on TV etc, that he wont make it out of round two. So how would feel about drafting him at 27? It would most likely be a redshirt season for him for anyone who drafts him.

I just wonder if his injury is career threatening?

I think this is an important discussion to have. A lot of teams will be having this same discussion leading up to the draft.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can convince myself in either direction just by trying to type out a response :)

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, good point. You look to draft players in round 1 who come in and contribute immediately. But with Smith, that might be a year away or so.

But I will say this, if TT/MM wants Smith, its going to have to be at pick 27 I bet.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
From what I have read and it makes sense, quite a few teams are keeping an eye on him and will make their decision after his next medical exam before the draft. That being said, if its a positive exam, he wont make it to #27. If its a negative or less then conclusive one, there will be many teams who are fully aware of him and 1 team who finally pulls the trigger. IMO, if its the second scenario, I see him possibly being available when the Packers pick in the second round and not worth the gamble of using the #27 pick on.

D

Deleted member 6794

It all depends on his medical exam right before the draft. If the Packers medical staff is absolutely convinced he will be fully recovered by the start of the 2017 season I would be fine with drafting him as long as the inside linebacker position is addressed with a short-term solution in free agency.

After the news coming from the combine I highly doubt he will be able to come back 100% from this injury though.

Sky King

Reaction score
Ideally, the first pick should be an immediate contributor. This guy may need to sit an entire season. If the Packers choose him under that scenario and come up a few plays or a player short again next season we'll probably all be spitting venom. I prefer a player who can help the team right away. Smith could be an unproductive gamble for 2016 and beyond. I'd pass unless he was available in the mid to late rounds.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ideally, the first pick should be an immediate contributor. This guy may need to sit an entire season. If the Packers choose him under that scenario and come up a few plays or a player short again next season we'll probably all be spitting venom. I prefer a player who can help the team right away. Smith could be an unproductive gamble for 2016 and beyond. I'd pass unless he was available in the mid to late rounds.

While its nice to find an impact player with the #27 pick in the draft, it's not really much of a guarantee. If you are looking for immediate contributors, free agency would be the better option. If TT did that and the prognosis for Smith was favorable for 2017, I would grab him, but I don't think he would still be there.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If he's still there at 27, he'll be there 2 rounds later. All the teams will get the same medical report. If it's positive, someone grabs him relatively early on potential. If not then he's a mid round flyer.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I think will happen...unless we pick him at #27, we will not get him as he'll go somewhere in the 2nd before our next pick most likely...unless TT trades up in the 2nd.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every draftable player has a risk/reward associated with him. There is a huge amount of risk here but the reward is also potentially very high. The odds of getting another Clay Matthews at the end of Rd1 are always low. To make this decision, GMs will have long and detailed discussions with Doctors and rehab people involved. I dont believe you must have immediate impact.from your #1 pick. Its nice, if course, but you have to look at the whole picture as a GM. Your team is more than 1 season. Think about it, would you want Clay Matthews for 7 years or Nick Perry for 8?

D

Deleted member 6794

Every draftable player has a risk/reward associated with him. There is a huge amount of risk here but the reward is also potentially very high. The odds of getting another Clay Matthews at the end of Rd1 are always low. To make this decision, GMs will have long and detailed discussions with Doctors and rehab people involved. I dont believe you must have immediate impact.from your #1 pick. Its nice, if course, but you have to look at the whole picture as a GM. Your team is more than 1 season. Think about it, would you want Clay Matthews for 7 years or Nick Perry for 8?

I would be absolutely fine with drafting Jaylon Smith early if the Packers medical staff is convinced that his injury isn´t career-threatening and that he will return to full health by the start of the 2017 season. If that is Thompson´s plan he should have addressed the inside linebacker position with a free agent providing a short-term solution though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If people think he can play even late this season, I don't think he makes it out of Round 1, not even to our pick actually. If teams think he'll be ready the following year, I don't think he makes it to our 2nd round pick. That said, if it looks like teams are convinced he won't be ready for a year at least, that would give me pause to draft him in the first being in the position the Packers are in, because we do need DL help and their will be good value there, or should be from reports anyway. and any time you're projecting a season away for an injury on a guy you don't have specific knowledge of, meaning he's not examined and recovering under your own doctors and staff, I'd be very wary of relying on the information of others.

Sure Team doctors can probably interview and maybe even have a look, but their information is going to be limited that they'll be able to gain and the doctors and people around Smith are going to give him every chance to be successful, so they aren't going to exactly give all the details either.

So, if they were pretty confident he'd be ready to go, even if it's not till December this year, I'd take him in the first. But like I said, if that's the case, I don't think he lasts to our pick in the first anyway.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most likely won't be ready until 2017 season even if Dr.'s think he'll fully/mostly recover. Don't think he'll still be there at our 4th round pick (#125)... but with solid players expected to be on the board well into the 4th round (TE's - Adams, Williams, Higbee; OL's - Beaver, Clark, Haeg; DL's - Reader, Fanaika, Ward; etc.) not sure if the risk/reward is justifiable to take Jaylon Smith any earlier than back of the 4th.

2011 Marcus Cannon found out he had cancer at/after the combine and NE spent a 5th rounder on him knowing he'd be red-shirted for the year.

2013 Marcus Lattimore was drafted (after having knee surgery) in the 4th round and couldn't make it back so he retired.

4th/5th seems to be "the spot" for a severe injury/medical "gamble"... #125 or a comp pick?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In reading this article I discovered that the surgeon who performed his knee surgery, Dan Cooper is also the Cowboy's head team physician. Talking about the team with the inside track on Smith! Cooper sounds optimistic, but then again, what is he going to say about his own work publicly?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...aylon-smith-knee-nerve-injury-draft/83416394/

I know we have more pressing needs for 2016, but beyond your #1 and maybe your #2, you don't see much from a rookie to begin with. If there is a decent chance Smith will be back playing in 2017, you grab him in the 3rd round.

Side note on Lattimore, because I have brought him up as a comparison as well. Something I just read about him that I didn't know, was that he had back to back knee injuries (one on both knees), with the 2nd one on his right knee the most catastrophic. The surgeon said it was like spaghetti when he went in there. Also and not sure how much this played into his demise in the NFL, but he struggled with so much knee pain, long after the surgery that oxycodone became the way to deal with it.

So I am hoping that Jaylon's Smith injury, which was bad, wasn't as severe as Lattimore's 2nd knee injury.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our #125 & #163 picks, according to the trade value chart, are worth 73 pts. Rather than use our 3rd rounder (#88) think the Rams might be looking to trade #110 (74 pts) (or #113 - 68 pts) for our later 4th & 5th? I think the Packers are definitely a team that could afford to stash him on IR him for a year and have a stud to show for it in '17... so either situation (3rd or 4th round) would be OK with me.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In reading this article I discovered that the surgeon who performed his knee surgery, Dan Cooper is also the Cowboy's head team physician. Talking about the team with the inside track on Smith! Cooper sounds optimistic, but then again, what is he going to say about his own work publicly?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...aylon-smith-knee-nerve-injury-draft/83416394/

I know we have more pressing needs for 2016, but beyond your #1 and maybe your #2, you don't see much from a rookie to begin with. If there is a decent chance Smith will be back playing in 2017, you grab him in the 3rd round.

Side note on Lattimore, because I have brought him up as a comparison as well. Something I just read about him that I didn't know, was that he had back to back knee injuries on both knees, with the 2nd one on his right knee the most catastrophic. The surgeon said it was like spaghetti when he went in there. Also and not sure how much this played into his demise in the NFL, but he struggled with so much knee pain, long after the surgery that oxycodone became the way to deal with it.

So I am hoping that Jaylon's Smith injury, which was bad, wasn't as severe as Lattimore's 2nd knee injury.
I was watching the game that lattimore got hurt in. I was talking about bush, the other super dominant rb whos knee leg got destroyed while i was watching the game.( both i wanted gb to pick) Bush took a few years to play well again. But i think he would have been steven jackson good without the injury. Surely shortened his career too. Lattimores injury....... Gross.... Full speed, turned the knee inside out. With force. Like he thought he could run through the defender. Or didnt see him??? I think he just thought he was that good, and was wrong that time...
Anyways. Its a shame for both. The question remains. Is he lattimore or michael bush?

Anyone see the injury on video?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw it on replay a few times after it happened... very much cringe-worthy-Joe-Theisman-like. Don't wish to re-see it. :(
Yea....its one thing for frank winters to skip a year and come back for 10 good ones... He had about 10 feet to run, or the guy ran to him... Jaylon smith will be chasing gronks and rbs...
Im not optimistic. If not for michael bush, i would say no. But like i said, bush was pretty special...

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea....its one thing for frank winters to skip a year and come back for 10 good ones... He had about 10 feet to run, or the guy ran to him... Jaylon smith will be chasing gronks and rbs...
Im not optimistic. If not for michael bush, i would say no. But like i said, bush was pretty special...
DOH!!! I thought you were still talking about Lattimore's injury video... Jaylon Smith's didn't look that bad at all, IMHO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Jaylon Smith injury definitely didn't look as severe as Lattimore's, but when that leg starts twisting and hyper extending, who knows what damage is being done. Every time I see the clip of Smith's injury, can't help but think it was a cheap shot by Decker.

Smith Injury: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/st...lon-smith-undergo-reconstructive-knee-surgery

Lattimore Injury:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jaylon Smith injury definitely didn't look as severe as Lattimore's, but when that leg starts twisting and hyper extending, who knows what damage is being done. Every time I see the clip of Smith's injury, can't help but think it was a cheap shot by Decker.

Smith Injury: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/st...lon-smith-undergo-reconstructive-knee-surgery

Lattimore Injury:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Both are gross. But lattimores is the grossest....i cant remember a grosser one.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our #125 & #163 picks, according to the trade value chart, are worth 73 pts. Rather than use our 3rd rounder (#88) think the Rams might be looking to trade #110 (74 pts) (or #113 - 68 pts) for our later 4th & 5th? I think the Packers are definitely a team that could afford to stash him on IR him for a year and have a stud to show for it in '17... so either situation (3rd or 4th round) would be OK with me.

I agree the Packers could afford to stash Smith on injured reserve, especially if Thompson addresses the inside linebacker position within the first two rounds. I still have a hard time figuring out which round he will be drafted in but I would be fine using the third rounder on him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, it won't shock me a bit if Jaylon is gone by the end of Day 1 or there on Day 3....just nuts.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of these talent evaluators really think smith was a great one. One guy said he was head and shoulders above the rest of the prospects....

? Huh???

I mean was he really that good?

So lets look at this in this light. Say je is the andrew luck of ilb prospects... How high could we justify drafting him? Im a bit more interested now... These guys cant be saying crazy stuff like tthis without some kind of foundation of truth...

Members online

Latest posts