Javon gives Ted Thompson money to play with..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
999
Reaction score
3
Location
Chicago
JSOnline:

Cap relief: The trade of wide receiver Javon Walker to the Denver Broncos on Saturday resulted in the Packers picking up significant salary cap room.

Walker was scheduled to count $2.005 million against the salary cap in 2006, but as a result of the trade, the Packers will be relieved of more than half of that total because his $1.125 million base salary transfers over to the Broncos. The Packers are still responsible for the remaining portion because it relates to the signing and option bonuses Walker received when he signed the contract.

The Packers traded Walker for the 37th pick in the draft. They parlayed that pick plus their own - No. 139 overall - into five picks through a series of trades.
 

DePack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
1
Location
Newark, Delaware
tromadz said:
JSOnline:

Cap relief: The trade of wide receiver Javon Walker to the Denver Broncos on Saturday resulted in the Packers picking up significant salary cap room.

Walker was scheduled to count $2.005 million against the salary cap in 2006, but as a result of the trade, the Packers will be relieved of more than half of that total because his $1.125 million base salary transfers over to the Broncos. The Packers are still responsible for the remaining portion because it relates to the signing and option bonuses Walker received when he signed the contract.

The Packers traded Walker for the 37th pick in the draft. They parlayed that pick plus their own - No. 139 overall - into five picks through a series of trades.

So do we not have to pay the extra 4 guys we got by trading Javon. Won't this pretty much eat up Javons cap money plus some?
 

musccy

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
1
Location
Lynchburg, VA
excellent point dePack...and I assume you're right...furthermore...don't forget that Hawk is going to chew up a lot of the cap...we still have something like 11 mil...but a lot of that will be used on the draft picks
 

musccy

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
1
Location
Lynchburg, VA
excellent point dePack...and I assume you're right...furthermore...don't forget that Hawk is going to chew up a lot of the cap...we still have something like 11 mil...but a lot of that will be used on the draft picks
 

DePack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
1
Location
Newark, Delaware
musccy said:
excellent point dePack...and I assume you're right...furthermore...don't forget that Hawk is going to chew up a lot of the cap...we still have something like 11 mil...but a lot of that will be used on the draft picks

Not sure if I'm right. I'm just trying to make a logical assumption. I'm amazed that the Journal Sentinel didn't bring this up.
 

musccy

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
1
Location
Lynchburg, VA
no, it makes complete sense...the 4 additional picks should AT LEAST cost us what Javon did...so it's sort of a wash in terms of a salary cap hit.
 

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
2,084
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
What you're forgetting about is the rookie pool. Money for draft picks all comes from the rookie cap within the regular salary cap so it's correct that cap room is gained for this year. This year's rookie salaries will go into the regular salary pool next year and will likely eat up any room gained by cutting Javon.
 

musccy

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
1
Location
Lynchburg, VA
so what you're saying, TOPF, is that this year's rookie class has no bearing on the salary cap situation THIS season?!? I'm not a cap guru, so I'm just asking...but I'm fairly certain this isn't the case.
 

DePack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
1
Location
Newark, Delaware
TOPackerFan said:
What you're forgetting about is the rookie pool. Money for draft picks all comes from the rookie cap within the regular salary cap so it's correct that cap room is gained for this year. This year's rookie salaries will go into the regular salary pool next year and will likely eat up any room gained by cutting Javon.

But when you increase your draft picks that rookie pool increases. It's my understanding that when you increase your rookie pool you decrease your cap. I could be wrong though.
 

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
1,947
Reaction score
0
Thanks Javon, Look what Mckenzie Gave Us in #36 Nick Collins, I cant wait to see what Javon gave us plus he was going to be a cancer and basically do what T.O did in philly so im glad we dumbed him, pick up some money then spent it. Cant put it in your Pocket plus TT is a man with a plan.
 

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
2,084
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Muscy and DePack, that's not really what I'm saying. My understanding is that the rookie pool is set by the NFL based on the number of picks you have entering the draft (the assumption being that if you acquire more picks it's by trading down which will still enable each player to be signed within the rookie pool allocated to each team). Drafted players can only be paid for their first year from this rookie pool (i.e. first year portion of signing bonus and the base salary). Veteran players' salaries come from the non rookie portion of the salary cap. There is no overlap between the two amounts (i.e. you can't use your rookie pool to sign a veteran or vice versa).
 

longtimefan

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
24,279
Reaction score
3,298
Location
Milwaukee
Each year, the NFL issues each team a total dollar figure representing the maximum cap space they are allowed to spend on signing draft picks and undrafted free agents. A team's rookie pool is based on the number and position of draft picks, with teams holding higher picks being allocated more dollars per pick than teams holding lower picks.

Old article I found on ESPN..

The rookie pool is, essentially, a cap within a cap. A team's rookie pool allocation is part of, not an addition to, the league's $75.1 million spending limit.
 

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
2,084
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
longtimefan said:
Each year, the NFL issues each team a total dollar figure representing the maximum cap space they are allowed to spend on signing draft picks and undrafted free agents. A team's rookie pool is based on the number and position of draft picks, with teams holding higher picks being allocated more dollars per pick than teams holding lower picks.

Old article I found on ESPN..

The rookie pool is, essentially, a cap within a cap. A team's rookie pool allocation is part of, not an addition to, the league's $75.1 million spending limit.

This amount is set in advance of the draft.
 

DePack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
1
Location
Newark, Delaware
TOPackerFan said:
longtimefan said:
Each year, the NFL issues each team a total dollar figure representing the maximum cap space they are allowed to spend on signing draft picks and undrafted free agents. A team's rookie pool is based on the number and position of draft picks, with teams holding higher picks being allocated more dollars per pick than teams holding lower picks.

Old article I found on ESPN..

The rookie pool is, essentially, a cap within a cap. A team's rookie pool allocation is part of, not an addition to, the league's $75.1 million spending limit.

This amount is set in advance of the draft.

Correct....but we added a #2 which turned into +4 net picks. By adding that #2 our rookie pool increased by x amount of dollars. That x amount of dollars is part of our overall cap. So it comes from our "veterans pool" so to speak.

My point is that this article did not take into account the second round pick (net+ 4 players) that we have to pay.
 

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
2,084
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
DePack, I don't think you're right. I don't believe that the rookie pool is adjusted after it is set. In fact, if later on in the season a rookie is signed, his first year salary must fit within the rookie pool for that season, even if there is cap space available which does not fit within the rookie pool.
 

DePack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
1
Location
Newark, Delaware
TOPackerFan said:
DePack, I don't think you're right. I don't believe that the rookie pool is adjusted after it is set. In fact, if later on in the season a rookie is signed, his first year salary must fit within the rookie pool for that season, even if there is cap space available which does not fit within the rookie pool.

You may be right but it makes no sense. If the Texans wanted to unload the #1 pick for say Eli Manning, the Giants would have no way of paying him. I believe the rookie money is probably set for each team based on picks. The money would have to go with the picks......wouldn't it?
 

musccy

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
1
Location
Lynchburg, VA
Ok...so the Packers cap# this year is 86 mil (I'm just using a #...I'm not sure what exactly it is)...the rookie pool is a PORTION of that number, not another number in ADDITION to that cap...right? (in other words, it's not like we effectively have 92 mil of cap space). This is how I understood the cap, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
 

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
2,084
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
DePack, I agree that it makes little sense.

Musccy, the cap is around $102 million this year with the rookie pool being around $8 or so million of that.
 

longtimefan

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
24,279
Reaction score
3,298
Location
Milwaukee
what ever the rookie cap is it will be taken out of their total cap..is the way I understand it.
 

musccy

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
1
Location
Lynchburg, VA
OK...thanks TOPF and longtime. So it basically means the Pack have about 94 that they can spend on anyone, provided that they aren't from this year's rookie class (and I assume you can dip into the 94 mil to pay more to the rooks if you choose)
 
Top