1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Jarrett Boykin

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by adambr2, Dec 19, 2013.

1. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,431
    The guy gets very recognition even though he has flat out earned it.

Undrafted, released by Jacksonville, Cobb and Jones goes down and he steps right in and has been productive since. You can't even say it's all due to Rodgers, as he's continued to be equally productive under Flynn.

I liken Boykin to a James Jones lite. I still want Jones back next year, but Boykin certainly gives TT a good backup plan.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,114
    He could have a very solid career. Let's see how he performs under a full season with Rodgers

3. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    I like Boykin...not the fastest guy but he gets it done. I would make him do speed training workouts in the off season to help him with his explosiveness and quickness.

4. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    What I like is his ability to gain a few extra yards, knifing past the first defender. It would be nice if he was faster but IMO that's not his game. If he works hard in the offseason he can continue to work himself into the starting lineup. I like Jones a lot, but at the end of the day he's had one really good season of production with many years of showing promise or being injured. As MM says, you need to be accountable and available. Boykin just may still Jones' spot if he's not careful

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    Where is the "excited" rating, because I'm really excited to see that.

6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Let me preface this by saying I have been wrong about a LOT of things.
    I guess I was wrong about Crosby because this year he's been great, and I would have sent his *** packing last year many times. Outta here.
    I also didn't want to draft James Jones in 2007 when we could have had Randy Moss for that pick.... and admit, NONE of you had ever seen Jones play in college.
    I was wrong about Jordy Nelson too.... didn't think he "looked" the part.

But I was right about Jerry Hughes, and now Jarrett Boykin. I liked him last year, was so proud when he was called upon and made a big catch, but was sad when on that catch, he got bent backwards with his foot sticking in that crap Metrodome turf, ending his season.

I really like Boykin, also liked Jeremy Ross. I thought these were a good #4-5 set of WRs behind Cobb, Jones & Jordy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    The less he works with Lovat the better!!

8. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,431
    A lot of people wanted DeSean Jackson for the pick that we got Jordy with. A case can be made both ways, but I'm very happy with Jordy, of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Desean Jackson is a huge d-bag. He can keep his talent and his attitude in Philly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    While it may be a good trick, Jackson is still a one trick pony.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +239
    I agree. I think Boykin's game is very similar to Jones though I think he is more advanced than Jones at similar times in their careers because IMO, football and wide receiver comes far more naturally to Boykin than Jones. I would be very surprised if Jones is with the Packers next year. Boykin is his natural replacement and I don't see any reason to have both of them if you can draft another speed receiver like Nelson or Cobb in the second or third round.

12. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Losing Jermichael, we will see more 4-wide WR sets, like we did in 2010 and 2011.

Jordy-Cobb-Jones-Boykin will be relied on. Remember, we can easily lose a couple at a time due to injury.
    The search for a 5th WR will begin though.... or continue...... not sure who it is yet.

13. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Has anyone noticed the size of Boykins hands. They are huge!!! Love my VA Tech guy...but still want to keep Jones.

14. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Jones has better physical tools than Boykin, but yeah Boyk is very similar to Jones.

15. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +239
    What physical tools are you referring to?

I think Boykin understands the nuances of the game and his position much better than Jones. He's a natural football player. Jones has to be drilled and taught everything and 6 years in to his career, he still breaks off his route from time to time and makes mental errors. I think Rodgers gets frustrated with him some times. In a way, he reminds me of Bill Schroeder who was not a natural football player either. Jones has made some fantastic catches the last couple of seasons but I think overall, in a couple years, Boykin will be a better overall player than Jones has become.

16. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Jones has the edge in PHYSICAL tools. Jones has a lean in strength and speed. Arm length is about the same. Boykin is has an inch on Jones in height and hand size, and about 6 lbs of weight. Boykin gets a big lean in everything mental though, plus a few other areas. Body control is spectacular, natural pass catcher, runs good routes and good instincts. as you said, he's going to be the better football player, especially once he gets more strength. If I were him though, I'd be studying film of Jones beating press coverage and jams. That's how Jones makes money, and something Boykin can learn.