Jarrett Boykin; anyone else here LIKE this guy?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised, and impressed, last year at how good and quickly, this kid was.
He passed Diondre Borel and Tori Gurley, 2 "next-up" WR's the Packers had liked.

By week 17, he was getting a key pass thrown his way on a 4th down play at Minnesota with 5 minutes left.
He was mugged (penalty called), still caught it, but sadly his foot got stuck in that crappy turf there and he got bent backwards, ending his season.

http://packersinsider.com/2013/05/packers-can-count-on-jarrett-boykin-in-2013/

I'm confident in Boykin as our 4th WR.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's the perfect kind of player to have at #4 or #5. Raw, but with a lot of opportunity to grow. I liked what I did see from him. Tried hard. Did well with he was given. Willing and effective blocker at WR.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good hands. Below average speed, but we're not looking for him to be a deep threat.

I don't mind him, but I wouldn't yet say I'm confident in him as our #4. There's a massive dropoff right now between our top 3 and the rest of the group. Cobb or Nelson or Jones gets nicked up, and all of the sudden, you're looking at your #4 getting a lot more passes thrown his way. Not saying that I feel that he can't be that guy, just still in a wait and see mode, mostly. I hope he impresses in TC just as much as last year.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good hands. Below average speed, but we're not looking for him to be a deep threat.

I don't mind him, but I wouldn't yet say I'm confident in him as our #4. There's a massive dropoff right now between our top 3 and the rest of the group. Cobb or Nelson or Jones gets nicked up, and all of the sudden, you're looking at your #4 getting a lot more passes thrown his way. Not saying that I feel that he can't be that guy, just still in a wait and see mode, mostly. I hope he impresses in TC just as much as last year.
I'm confident in him as a number five. Unfortunately he's our number four right now, so I'm hoping he either shows us something more in TC or Ross or Johnson wow us.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
HardRightEdge hit on my attitude toward Boykin and I thought I'd expand on it. I like Boykin too. In fact, the Packers have 10 WRs on their roster and I like 'em all and I'm hoping for the best from all of them. For example, I am hoping Charles Johnson proves worthy of PT because if he can learn the playbook, run good routes, and catch the ball he'll provide the deep threat that is the only missing piece of the "WR puzzle" I see. (I believe Johnson has the best size/speed ratio of any WR on the roster.) But if he's not up to the task, I hope one of the other speed demons is. I'd like to see another possession receiver earn PT and become Jones' eventual replacement. If that's Boyken, great. If not, I hope someone else steps up. IOW, I'm not particularly invested in any of the WRs after the top three (I don't dislike any of 'em).

Because of their experience, Boykin and Ross have a head start on the 5 rookie WRs on the roster but Gurley and Borel did previously and they didn't win roster spots. BTW, that's an example of a move that didn't work out but was still a very good idea IMO. Both Gurley and Borel were paid extra to stay on the Packers' PS. What I think at least slightly separates the Packers organization is that even though that indicated the Packers liked both, UDFAs were given a real chance to beat them out of a roster spot. And of course that's what happened. So I was and still am in favor of the raises they got to stay and of course I'm in favor of allowing a real competition. IMO that does cause UDFAs to more strongly consider signing with the Packers than with some other teams.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Competition is good.
I actually remember the rise of the no-name, undrafted, Victor Cruz in New York. He was considered too slow. Below average speed.
But he's gotten deep plenty of times.

I think Boykin has a chance to become a good one, but only time will tell.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take the minority position. I don't much like Boykin. I THOUGHT last year he would be a nice change of pace, a more stationary receiver - get open and set down, as opposed to the others the Packers have who primarily catch on the run. Rodgers and the coaching staff seem to prefer that movement. Boykin does not impress me as much as Ross - especially factoring in the kick returns. If Johnson is anything like advertized, he too should be far superior to Boykin. Also Dorsey and maybe even a couple of those other signees seem like more the kind of receiver the Packers want/need.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a lot to prove still. Teams were doubling up on Nelson and with Jones outside and Cobb center with Finley causing disruptions in the secondary Boykin had a lot of chances on lesser corners. I think he has a lot of potential, but realistically it will be a shootout between Johnson, Boykin and Dorsey. I think Dorsey is a serious dark horse in the WR dept. They could also keep all six, but that would likely mean a pair of tight ends may have to be cut. I wouldn't be too upset if Quarless was cut leaving Finely Taylor Mulligan Williams. Finley won't be around in a year anyway unless he takes a pay cut or finally lives up to his freestyling mouth.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts