Jared Gaither available at lower price

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gaither could be available for less than first round pick | ProFootballTalk.com

Looks like the ravens have downgraded their asking price from a first rounder to a high 2nd round pick. Gaither is definitely an option to consider but unfortunately we don't have that second round choice that they're looking for. We could on the other hand offer them an additional pick to sway them into a deal.

My only concern is that elite left tackles don't grow on trees so why are the Raven's so willing to package him away? I understand they want to move Oher to LT but why not have both for added insurance policy. Something fishy is going on in Gaither's situation, it just doesn't add up as to why they won't keep him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would assume that he wants a new contract and the ravens dont want to invest big money in 2 players at 1 position.

I wouldnt be shocked if we kicked the tires on this deal.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oher is the better LT between the two and a natural LT not a RT. I worked with the Ravens last year and met Oher (very athletic). Most teams will not want to pay for two starting LT's and Oher received LT money wheresas Gaither was a Supplemental Draft Pick on like the 5th Round out of Maryland. A lot of teams passed over him including GB. I wouldn't trade a 1st or a 2nd for him if I were the Packers because I seen him get beat many times on that side of the ball. Just my opinion!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oher is the better LT between the two and a natural LT not a RT. I worked with the Ravens last year and met Oher (very athletic). Most teams will not want to pay for two starting LT's and Oher received LT money wheresas Gaither was a Supplemental Draft Pick on like the 5th Round out of Maryland. A lot of teams passed over him including GB. I wouldn't trade a 1st or a 2nd for him if I were the Packers because I seen him get beat many times on that side of the ball. Just my opinion!
Gaither lacks pass pro, but is a terrific run blocker.

Though he's not the kind of LT we look for, for a 2nd rounder IMHO he's a steal, as he has the athletic ability to develop into a stud.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I agree we could use some depth in the oline, but not sure Gaither is our guy. TT passed over him once already, there had to be a reason

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree we could use some depth in the oline, but not sure Gaither is our guy. TT passed over him once already, there had to be a reason

Absolutely, it's not only the fact that TT passed on him but 30 other teams aren't buying into Gaither either. What is it that we don't know that is turning GMs off to Gaither?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
32 teams passed on Donald Driver at least 6 times. 32 teams passed on Brady at least 5 times.

I don't know if it's that easy...
Absolutely, it's not only the fact that TT passed on him but 30 other teams aren't buying into Gaither either. What is it that we don't know that is turning GMs off to Gaither?
Now this is a more solid question. Why hasn't he gotten ANY attention? Actually, why didn't any RFA other than Marshall gotten ANY attention? (I might be forgetting someone, but I don't remember any RFA being signed by another team).

I don't believe that there's something wrong with these guys. What I do think is that GMs all over believe that this draft is so deep, that they can get better guys in the draft, rather than trade their picks.

People (me) were raving about us getting the Bucs' tackles, Penn and Trueblood, but a lot of scouting sites reported they had bad/terrible seasons.

Right or wrong, GMs believe that a prospect like Roger Saffold will provide better cost-benefit than Gaither.

Teams may think that he'd be an upgrade over what they have, but they think what they can get in the draft is better than parting with a pick and paying a huge contract to a guy like Gaither...

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
32 teams passed on Donald Driver at least 6 times. 32 teams passed on Brady at least 5 times.

I don't know if it's that easy...

Now this is a more solid question. Why hasn't he gotten ANY attention? Actually, why didn't any RFA other than Marshall gotten ANY attention? (I might be forgetting someone, but I don't remember any RFA being signed by another team).

I don't believe that there's something wrong with these guys. What I do think is that GMs all over believe that this draft is so deep, that they can get better guys in the draft, rather than trade their picks.

People (me) were raving about us getting the Bucs' tackles, Penn and Trueblood, but a lot of scouting sites reported they had bad/terrible seasons.

Right or wrong, GMs believe that a prospect like Roger Saffold will provide better cost-benefit than Gaither.

Teams may think that he'd be an upgrade over what they have, but they think what they can get in the draft is better than parting with a pick and paying a huge contract to a guy like Gaither...

EXACTLY the type of answer I was looking for. After playing in the league for several seasons, we have an idea as to the type of player that Gaither is. He has potential to become an elite tackle, but how much is that potential? There is film to demonstrate what kind of abilities he projects in the NFL so GMs can calculate a ceiling as to how elite this kid can be. On the other hand you don't have any tape of players like Russell Okung or Trent Williams playing in an NFL-like environment. But once they step in, they may be just as good as Gaither or even better with the added benefit of a lower price tag.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Solid rebuttal, perhaps this draft really is as deep as you say. Hopefully we pull some good ones then.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
well I somewhat like this, but we'd have to throw big money at him, clifton or tausch would have to move to G, and I'm just not sure he's the solid pass protector A-rod needs for the rest of his career, but he might be, his strength in the run game is obvious. late 2nd rounder I would pull the trigger.

Members online

Latest posts