Jared Abbrederis

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What adjustment could he have possibly made? It was the typical result when a ball is underthrown on a fly route. The only other thing he could have done would have been to shove the CB out of the way and then he probably gets flagged for OPI. He was where the ball was. Unfortunately he had to slow down, so the CB was where it was too.
I think that you're missing the point. Janis under-ran the route. It landed out of his reach because he slowed down. Janis did not read the pass correctly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed Janis early, I did not notice him much if at all mid 2nd quarter till the end. I could have just missed him, but I think with all the opportunity to win a chance to see the field and we see him this little, I'm not holding out much hope for him to see it any more than he has. If Abbrederis stays healthy and Montgomery gets back, I doubt we see him 5 snaps a game on offense, if that. He will remain a solid special teamer though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jeff Janis took two DBs along with him on that play and neither one was able stay with him, which at the very least should have left some other receiver in a better situation.

Nawin Lawson covered Janis one-on-one on the play. There wasn't any other defensive back even close to them.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know my opinion is going to be an unpopular one... But I don't see it. I get the appeal of the home town kid, ex-Badger playing for the Packers. But I really don't think he is the answer to any of the wide receiver problems.

His execution on the long ball that didn't get called for PI was IMO very poor. A good receiver forces his way back to the ball making the PI call easy. The way he played it, he avoid contact (thus negating a real chance at PI) and also gave himself a zero chance to catch the ball. A better DB makes that pick.

I watched him on other routes and well and he didn't cross the face on a couple times. Top end speed isnt there, doesn't cut as fast as say Cobb. Yes, he has made a couple of plays. But considering that at those times Cobb, Jones, and Adams are drawing the majority of coverage. When they went to that sub package i thought the offense looked even worse without the three starters out there.

Just my opinion please try not to mutilate me too badly.

Last edited:

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition to RB Ross Scheuerman, the Packers also signed WR Jamel Johnson to the practice squad and released DB Kyle Sebetic.

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/674333899527430145

Johnson, a 6-foot-2, 217-pound rookie, played at Alabama State after transferring from Troy. In his only season at Alabama State, he finished as the third-leading receiver, catching 28 passes for 328 yards (11.7 avg.) and a team-leading five touchdowns. Johnson will wear No. 10 for the Packers.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...aac-c7f5-44df-b8cf-986c7253e408#ixzz3tlYjxg62

The problem with signing anyone this late in the game is they will never learn the play book in time to make any impact if the guys who have been studying it all year can't get it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The problem with signing anyone this late in the game is they will never learn the play book in time to make any impact if the guys who have been studying it all year can't get it.

Doubt either were signed to be impact players or even suit up this year, seems more of a move to round out the PS for the future. Packers are relatively deep at DB and probably didn't see much from Sebetic and we already know what they thought of Harris.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition to RB Ross Scheuerman, the Packers also signed WR Jamel Johnson to the practice squad and released DB Kyle Sebetic.

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/674333899527430145

Johnson, a 6-foot-2, 217-pound rookie, played at Alabama State after transferring from Troy. In his only season at Alabama State, he finished as the third-leading receiver, catching 28 passes for 328 yards (11.7 avg.) and a team-leading five touchdowns. Johnson will wear No. 10 for the Packers.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...aac-c7f5-44df-b8cf-986c7253e408#ixzz3tlYjxg62

Third leading receiver at Alabama State....who declared for the NFL Draft after his Junior year. He must have been shocked when he didn't hear his name Day 1.

Apparently, it takes years to be able to learn how to run simple routes and be consumed by man coverage in our system. A newcomer hasn't consumed enough Twinkies, skipped enough days of conditioning, or layered his hands with enough butter to ineffective enough for our OC's approval.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Third leading receiver at Alabama State....who declared for the NFL Draft after his Junior year. He must have been shocked when he didn't hear his name Day 1.

Apparently, it takes years to be able to learn how to run simple routes and be consumed by man coverage in our system. A newcomer hasn't consumed enough Twinkies, skipped enough days of conditioning, or layered his hands with enough butter to ineffective enough for our OC's approval.

So it sounds like you are really high on this Jamel Johnson? :coffee:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes almost every other team can add a UDFA WR in December and have suit up for the next game. :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For those itching to see Jamel Johnson in action:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because every thread in this forum has to turn into an argument over Janis: here's what he had to say about the play in a well written article by Silverstein:

"It was just me, I couldn't see the ball," Janis said. "I looked up and the trajectory of the ball was super high and I just didn't see it. I had the guy beat and I was running and I looked back for the ball and didn't see it and I slowed up a little bit.

"Then I realized he threw it to me. By the time I realized where the ball was, it was too late."

The fact Janis beat press coverage and was open deep could be looked at as a reason to give him another chance. The fact he didn't make the play could be looked at as a reason not to trust him.

http://teamstre.am/1HU7o9u

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I know my opinion is going to be an unpopular one... But I don't see it. I get the appeal of the home town kid, ex-Badger playing for the Packers. But I really don't think he is the answer to any of the wide receiver problems.

His execution on the long ball that didn't get called for PI was IMO very poor. A good receiver forces his way back to the ball making the PI call easy. The way he played it, he avoid contact (thus negating a real chance at PI) and also gave himself a zero chance to catch the ball. A better DB makes that pick.

It´s fine if you doubt Abbrederis´ability to be an impact receiver at the NFL level, something I don´t agree with, but to blame him for not making a play on that ball is ridiculous. He had the defensive back beat but Rodgers underthrew the ball, there was absolutely no way for him to come up with it.

As I´ve said repeatedly the big question mark with him is his ability to stay healthy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that you're missing the point. Janis under-ran the route. It landed out of his reach because he slowed down. Janis did not read the pass correctly.

Post # 40 posted article saying that same exact thing.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s fine if you doubt Abbrederis´ability to be an impact receiver at the NFL level, something I don´t agree with, but to blame him for not making a play on that ball is ridiculous. He had the defensive back beat but Rodgers underthrew the ball, there was absolutely no way for him to come up with it.

As I´ve said repeatedly the big question mark with him is his ability to stay healthy.
I think he gives us something we need, which is a guy with decent length, speed, and ability to catch the ball. Adams is stinking up the field and Jones has had one game where he hasn't been completely non-existent in like that past 2 months. We really need other receivers to push them for playing time.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You seem to be very passionate on this subject. So I am not sure explaining my point in detail will help any but I will give it a go. I believe there is a distinct difference between "blaming" him and pointing out obvious shortcomings on the play.

The ball was obviously under-thrown. But yes I can say that it was a lackluster awareness of the ball, that his attempt to get back to the ball and hold his ground was weak at best. Not all 50 yard passes are dropped into your hands.

Under his own admission he lost the ball for a great deal of the flight (poor awareness). It wasn't until the last moment he realized that the ball was even thrown to him. By which point it was already to late to make a play on the ball. Which is exactly what it looks like. A person who never seen the ball and just kept running.

You give me ODB on that pass and I doubt he runs next to the ball, instead he adjust his stride and fights back for the ball. Was it catchable? Maybe not. But that was an EASY play to get PI on if you even attempt to get back to the ball.

I'm the first one to get on Rodgers and I think most people know this, and while I absolutely agree that the ball was under-thrown. I do not agree that it was a "playmaker" type play by a wide receiver either.

Yes, his health is an issue... But I don't feel it is the only one he is dealing with.

D

Deleted member 6794

You seem to be very passionate on this subject. So I am not sure explaining my point in detail will help any but I will give it a go. I believe there is a distinct difference between "blaming" him and pointing out obvious shortcomings on the play.

The ball was obviously under-thrown. But yes I can say that it was a lackluster awareness of the ball, that his attempt to get back to the ball and hold his ground was weak at best. Not all 50 yard passes are dropped into your hands.

Under his own admission he lost the ball for a great deal of the flight (poor awareness). It wasn't until the last moment he realized that the ball was even thrown to him. By which point it was already to late to make a play on the ball. Which is exactly what it looks like. A person who never seen the ball and just kept running.

You give me ODB on that pass and I doubt he runs next to the ball, instead he adjust his stride and fights back for the ball. Was it catchable? Maybe not. But that was an EASY play to get PI on if you even attempt to get back to the ball.

I'm the first one to get on Rodgers and I think most people know this, and while I absolutely agree that the ball was under-thrown. I do not agree that it was a "playmaker" type play by a wide receiver either.

Yes, his health is an issue... But I don't feel it is the only one he is dealing with.

I think you're talking about the ball thrown to Janis early in the game.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't see Abbrederis as a big playmaker, but he was commended as being possibly the best route runner in his draft class, having good hands, and he dominated Bradley Roby of OSU, a first round pick and CB of the best defense in the league now. And Wisconsin didn't exactly having an elite QB throwing the ball. Adams sucked against good competition with Derek Carr at QB, just Like he sucks now.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're talking about the ball thrown to Janis early in the game.

I don't believe so? I'm at work now, but I have the game recorded at home and can take a look. But right before the lateral play that resulted in the facemask wasn't there a throw down the right sideline to Abbrederis? One which the ball came up short and landed near the knees of the Isa Abdul-Quddus while he continued to run up the field?

Also just for reference... If I am correct about the play, is it that amazing that a wide receiver beat a safety 1 on 1 deep?

I apologize if I am wrong though. Basing this off pure memory.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Abbrederis as a big playmaker, but he was commended as being possibly the best route runner in his draft class, having good hands, and he dominated Bradley Roby of OSU, a first round pick and CB of the best defense in the league now. And Wisconsin didn't exactly having an elite QB throwing the ball. Adams sucked against good competition with Derek Carr at QB, just Like he sucks now.

Just wondering where did you get the stats about Adams sucking vs good competition? Just looking in the two years he played he really didn't play anyone great but those that he did. Rutgers he went 14 for 148 2TD. And against Oregon went 12 catches for 92 as a Freshman in his second game. And he played USC went 9 for 74 and TD. None of the games I would really say he "sucked".

Those are the toughest competition that I could find, granted it isn't Alabama... But Fresno State isn't Auburn either.

Edit: Don't get me wrong Adams has been sucking the big one lately. This is an endorsement for how he is currently playing. Needs to get his crap together. BUT i don't think comparing their college careers is fair. Different division, different offenses, different stats. If we are going to be honest, Adams had a much more impressive college career (granted against worse compeition and in a different offense) Adams stats are near equal or greater in 2 years to what Abbrederis did in 4.

So I think comparing them is unfair at the college level.

Last edited: