Jared Abbrederis

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched him closely last night. This dude runs great routes and he seems very precise and quick. I want to see more of him. He could be our version of Wes Welker, Julian Edleman or Cole Beasley.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Abby is a player that everyone, including the Packers have had high hopes on, thus all the patience with him. I just hope that he can stay injury free long enough to show everyone what he has. Get Montgomery back and we have some two much needed contributors to an offense which for most of that game and others, has been on life support.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish he would be one of the starting 3. Adams made a very good TD grab and Jones had his moments this year, but having both out there at once is making things too easy for the defense.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched him closely last night. This dude runs great routes and he seems very precise and quick. I want to see more of him. He could be our version of Wes Welker, Julian Edleman or Cole Beasley.
Except he misses about 6 games for every catch he makes.
I love the kid dearly for his potential but he just can't cope with the physicality of the game I think.
I want to see more of what he can do but I don't want to see him risking his young life doing it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't see the comparison to those guys beyond skin color, they're built differently and more frequently used in the slot. Cobb is that guy for us. Abby is much longer, more slightly built and his skill set primarily lays within his route running and ability to get open downfield. I could see Abby as a stretch the field type player off the double move.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think it has been mentioned but did anyone else notice that on the second series for the Packers both Janis and Abbrederis were on the field? I also noticed Abbrederis open on at least a couple of routes.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it has been mentioned but did anyone else notice that on the second series for the Packers both Janis and Abbrederis were on the field? I also noticed Abbrederis open on at least a couple of routes.
TV announcers brought it up during the game.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, he gets open. Runs nice routes. I saw him wide open on at least 2-3 plays last night.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TV announcers brought it up during the game.
They also sounded surprised that they weren't "trying different receivers" in the second half. I think they meant replacing a receiver or two whose hands consist of rubber in favor of one of the two.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers don't need no stinkin' Mrs. Beasley, I reckon.

Like the other fellows have posted, and like I've posted up before, I love the kid (Jared Abbrederis) to death but sure would hate to see him become the poster-child for violence in the NFL, being wheeled to games to sit on the sidelines in a wheelchair.

Jeff Janis seems a bit bigger, more solid, more physical. I see that they also brought Larry (Captain Jon-Luc) Pinkard back in for a try-out or something, no?

Keep the momentum from the Miracle in Motown, but rest up, then pound the snot out of the Cowboys @ Lambeau.

Yeah, that seems like a real good plan. :tup:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also sounded surprised that they weren't "trying different receivers" in the second half. I think they meant replacing a receiver or two whose hands consist of rubber in favor of one of the two.
They seemed to be cycling guys in for a while. I noticed Janis was in early for a bit, then I didn't notice him on the field hardly at all after that? Maybe I just missed him

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One series, a deep attempt to Janis and then a deep in to Abby. Two of the longest throws Rodgers has attempted in the last 5 games. Then they were to never be seen again.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I saw Janis run that deep route that fell incomplete, I saw him ease up just before the ball got there...and then he was about a yard short. He's got to see the ball better and not just run fast and deep hoping to fetch more PI calls.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Those guys run a lot of routes over the middle and take a lot of big hits. Abbrederis isn't durable enough to do what they do. He needs to stay as far away from linebackers as possible. His next concussion (which is a matter of time) is probably a career-ender.

Reaction score
Now I know why his email is "Abbracadabra". He's there one week and presto disappearo the next.. Then back again!
Seriously, he looks good, albeit with limited snaps. I think with the experience of consecutive games and a run of health he could give many Defenses a fit. He needs to have a better understanding of where the 1st down marker is on 3rd downs though. Those mistakes can be easily addressed and I'm not trying to pick on him as those are mistakes we can't make come playoffs.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majority of us are excited about this guy. Hopefully he will stay healthy because he will be an asset in the playoff.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I saw Janis run that deep route that fell incomplete, I saw him ease up just before the ball got there...and then he was about a yard short. He's got to see the ball better and not just run fast and deep hoping to fetch more PI calls.

What's he supposed to do? If he doesn't outrun his man, he's not open. I would for once like to see Rodgers not underthrow him and air it out giving him a chance to run under it and make the catch. If Rodgers had thrown that ball 10 yards deeper with a bit more loft, Janis would have been gone. But instead Janis had to try to slow down just enough to be able to make the catch and then the defender catches up and he's no longer open. This is twice he has done that. The last time Janis was able to come back for it and force the PI. I think the kid has another gear or two if you just air it out.

D

Deleted member 6794

What's he supposed to do? If he doesn't outrun his man, he's not open. I would for once like to see Rodgers not underthrow him and air it out giving him a chance to run under it and make the catch. If Rodgers had thrown that ball 10 yards deeper with a bit more loft, Janis would have been gone. But instead Janis had to try to slow down just enough to be able to make the catch and then the defender catches up and he's no longer open. This is twice he has done that. The last time Janis was able to come back for it and force the PI. I think the kid has another gear or two if you just air it out.

I was advocating for Janis to see the field more often before the Lions game as well but that play was a perfect example for why he doesn't get more snaps. There's no doubt in my mind that he's capable of getting open on a deep route and catch a perfectly placed ball but he's terrible adjusting his route to a less than stellar throw. It's not possible for any QB to be precise on every deep throw so you have to trust your receivers to come up with contested balls as well.

Sky King

Reaction score
Jeff Janis took two DBs along with him on that play and neither one was able stay with him, which at the very least should have left some other receiver in a better situation. IMHO that scenario has somewhat more promise than throwing to guys that can't get open consistently even when they're single covered. Or WRs who catch less-than half the balls thrown their way regardless of the coverage or the ball's trajectory. A ball with nearly straight overhead trajectory is tougher to judge, as Ty Montgomery has proved himself early this year and allegedly all throughout his college career. Adams also failed to catch the long ball in a recent game.

If I had to pick my poison it would definitely be to favor guys who are able to get separation more consistently rather than to depend upon a pedestrian receiver who is nearly always closely contested for a pass coming their way. Some hope versus slim hope. Not ideal but it's the hand the Packers have been dealt. Less injuries to the entire receiving corps would be very helpful, too.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was advocating for Janis to see the field more often before the Lions game as well but that play was a perfect example for why he doesn't get more snaps. There's no doubt in my mind that he's capable of getting open on a deep route and catch a perfectly placed ball but he's terrible adjusting his route to a less than stellar throw.

What adjustment could he have possibly made? It was the typical result when a ball is underthrown on a fly route. The only other thing he could have done would have been to shove the CB out of the way and then he probably gets flagged for OPI. He was where the ball was. Unfortunately he had to slow down, so the CB was where it was too.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There haven't been that many Janis throws to talk about, but maybe I'm missing the one under discussion. On that one, Janis was behind the DB, slowed down, and couldn't reach the football, which he could have done had he kept running. The ball wasn't underthrown, nor would he have had to shove the DB (actually, couldn't have, since the guy was behind him). He also didn't have to slow down, he actually shouldn't have.

Full disclosure - never played the game, am not an Xs and Ox guy, just honestly can't understand where this discussion is going.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that we're discussing Janis' problems in running the one route that we're looking for him to make an impact with is disturbing.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true, but then we've got a whole other pot to stir - coaching (or lack of it), play-calling, "it takes more than ___ targets for a guy to get used to AR's throws", et. al.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true, but then we've got a whole other pot to stir - coaching (or lack of it), play-calling, "it takes more than ___ targets for a guy to get used to AR's throws", et. al.
It's getting ridiculous. I see many teams with QBs much worse than AR have much more success in the passing game. These are either the most incompetent offensive coaches in the league or the worst receivers, though I'm leaning toward the coaches not adjusting the play calling to take advantage of the defense as being the problem.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's overly simplistic, but it drives me nuts when I look around the league and see Joe Schmo rack up 380 yards passing and 4 TD's while we struggle to get first downs.

Members online

Latest posts