Janis??

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
From jsonline yesterday: Why is Jarrett Boykin getting the nod over Jeff Janis?
McCarthy provided the answer in an interview last week. "Jarrett Boykin is ahead of Jeff Janis," McCarthy said, indicating the difference was clear-cut both at wide receiver and on special teams.
Boykin wouldn't talk about it but:
Janis, a seventh-round draft choice from Saginaw Valley State, agreed with McCarthy's assessment. "Yeah, I'd say so," said Janis. "He has a lot more experience than me. I'm just taking my role right now. Especially being a rookie, it's already tough. The guys in front of me are playing really well."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...s-jeff-janis-fewer-b99422948z1-288122711.html

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Logic would say that is true. It would also say you play the guys that got you there.....
But the element of suprise would be a valuable weapon. In my opinion. Janis made it to the NFL. He made McCarthys eyebrow raise more than once. I think he can handle streaking down the sideline...

If ANYTHING! He will make the other teams coaches take notice, and adjust. That alone is worth putting him on the field a half dozen plays a game. In my opinion.

I'm just not sure what coaches are going to have to adjust to. It's not like we are going to put Cobb and Janis back in the pistol and run read option. Even if it gave defenses a new look, the risks of suddenly and unnecessarily giving such a raw player an increased role far outweigh any possible reward yet this year. (a mistake on ST, a bad route run resulting in a pick, etc.)

Janis did make it to the NFL and it is perfectly normal for a player like him to have mostly an outsider role in his rookie year while he learns the playbook and offensive system. He will benefit from it in the future.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that speed. The first time Janis streaks past their CB like he's standing still........ Its distracting. And it should open up our big play makers... Even if the ball doesnt go his way.

D

Deleted member 6794

that speed. The first time Janis streaks past their CB like he's standing still........ Its distracting. And it should open up our big play makers... Even if the ball doesnt go his way.

Once again the Packers won't activate Janis for the playoffs aside one of their top four receivers gets injured. Take a look at the article TJV posted it explains the reasons behind it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I resurrected this thread on Janis because a Jason Wilde article titled “Long distance dedication” has some comments from Jordy Nelson about Janis. The article has some information about long receptions and includes another NFL record Rodgers holds as he has “thrown more touchdowns of 70 or more yards – 16 – than any other quarterback in NFL history”. At the end of article under “Figuring it out” he writes about Janis not earning Rodgers’ trust and therefor playing only 33 of the Packers 348 offensive plays so far.
When Nelson was asked if he thought Janis could give the offense what it lacks without him, he said Janis must show greater consistency in order to earn such an opportunity. “It’s the fact of someone taking pride in their work and being consistent. That’s what it comes down to,” Nelson said. “The main thing I ever focused on was being the same guy every day. Whether it was the coaches or it was Aaron, whenever I go out there, whether it’s practice or a game, you know what to expect [from me]. And I think that’s where it comes from.
“[Janis] made some big plays in preseason and in practice, but it’s the consistency level, day-in and day-out. In the classroom, when you get asked a question, you have to be able to sit there and answer it – and it’s not just Jeff, it’s everybody – and answer it the way [Rodgers] wants it answered. So he knows you know what you’re doing. And it goes from there.”
Janis has great physical attributes and he’s only part way through his second NFL season after making the jump from Saginaw Valley State. I hope he just needs to be more dedicated (rather than not being smart enough) because even with Jordy playing, the Packers could use a big fast WR who knows what he’s doing. And without Jordy, that player would be a big contributor.
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=22311&is_corp=1

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I resurrected this thread on Janis because a Jason Wilde article titled “Long distance dedication” has some comments from Jordy Nelson about Janis. The article has some information about long receptions and includes another NFL record Rodgers holds as he has “thrown more touchdowns of 70 or more yards – 16 – than any other quarterback in NFL history”. At the end of article under “Figuring it out” he writes about Janis not earning Rodgers’ trust and therefor playing only 33 of the Packers 348 offensive plays so far. Janis has great physical attributes and he’s only part way through his second NFL season after making the jump from Saginaw Valley State. I hope he just needs to be more dedicated (rather than not being smart enough) because even with Jordy playing, the Packers could use a big fast WR who knows what he’s doing. And without Jordy, that player would be a big contributor.
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=22311&is_corp=1

I heard today on the Bill Michaels show that Abbredaris had an impressive week in practice. It would be a telling sign if Abby moves ahead of Janis on the depth chart. Given all the time he's missed, you would think he'd be way behind.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard today on the Bill Michaels show that Abbredaris had an impressive week in practice. It would be a telling sign if Abby moves ahead of Janis on the depth chart. Given all the time he's missed, you would think he'd be way behind.

You would think so, but I'm starting to wonder if Jeff is just plain and simple a dumdum. :D

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You would think so, but I'm starting to wonder if Jeff is just plain and simple a dumdum. :D
Or more likely he got by most of his career on physical ability and never had to learn to actually run routes correctly. QB heaved it up and JJ ran under it wherever it came down. He now has to unlearn all those years and learn to do it the correct way. Takes a few training camps to get it.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or more likely he got by most of his career on physical ability and never had to learn to actually run routes correctly. QB heaved it up and JJ ran under it wherever it came down. He now has to unlearn all those years and learn to do it the correct way. Takes a few training camps to get it.

I hope that's the case and he just needs time. Still, I'd have thought they'd at least *try* to have him run a couple fly routes by now. Not much nuance to that, just GO! And yet, nothing.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Janis did run a fly route and he ran it out of bounds. IMO some may be underestimating the difference between coming to the NFL from a major college conference team vs. Saginaw Valley State in terms of the complexity of the offenses and quality of coaches, particularly position coaches. And as Pappa San posted of course Janis could just rely on his physical superiority in college. It looks to me like Jordy is saying Janis isn't putting in the necessary study time. That could mean he's just not that bright, or it could mean he's immature. I'm hoping for the latter.

From everything I've read, Abbrederis won Rodgers respect early in the minicamps and TC of his rookie year. He runs good routes and I'll bet he's an A student in the classroom. I think he will do well if given the opportunity but of course he needs to stay healthy.

H

HardRightEdge

Forget Janis. It ain't happening. You're not going to get close to replacing Nelson as a deep threat with the hands on deck, so don't try.

Getting Adams back on the field, whenever that happens, will be a big add.

Cobb, Adams, Jones are a very good complement of possession receivers. Montgomery is raw but has shown ability in short routes...another possession receiver. Abbrederis has very good hands, is very quick out of his breaks, savvy player...he's got decent speed but nothing that will surprise anybody....another possession receiver who shows a good double move and might get some deep throws. If he can stay healthy (a big if) and can gain the QB's confidence, he could bring some productivity this season.

Look, since Moss in 2009, the closest thing to a deep threat New England has put on the field is Branch, Lloyd or LaFell, and only one at a time...take your pick. Decent players all at one time or another, but nobody anybody would fear. If New England can win with TEs, slot receivers and RBs out of the backfield, the Packers can surely be similarly productive with this nice cadre of possession receivers.

Embrace it...and matriculate down the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

That could mean he's just not that bright, or it could mean he's immature.
Or it could mean that besides strength and straight line speed he's just innately not a good enough football player for the NFL. I think there is evidence to suggest that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Look, since Moss in 2009, the closest thing to a deep threat New England has put on the field is Branch, Lloyd or LaFell, and only one at a time...take your pick. Decent players all at one time or another, but nobody anybody would fear. If New England can win with TEs, slot receivers and RBs out of the backfield, the Packers can surely be similarly productive with this nice cadre of possession receivers.

The Patriots hugely benefit by having the most dominant tight end in the league though.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots hugely benefit by having the most dominant tight end in the league though.

Ya, I had mentioned in another post somewhere that does anyone think it is just coincidence that the Patriots managed to win the Super Bowl again the first year that Gronk was injury free for the whole season. He is a match up nightmare which creates favorable match ups elsewhere if you have to put on DB on him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gronk is the best non-QB offensive weapon in the NFL and I really don't think anyone else is even that close. Last year everyone said Brady was done at QB, then Gronk gets healthy and BAM, Brady is back to one of the best all-time...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's obvious why Janis isn't on the field. From all the comments by staff and by Rodgers since the time he's been here and the 1 time he does get in, he's getting an earful from an obviously upset QB, does anyone really think he's "gotten" it yet? Lots of talented guys with speed never get it. It's not hard to cover a guy that can only run down the field and I doubt they're anywhere close to trusting him enough to be anywhere else in the middle of the field with traffic to risk putting balls in there to him. I think it's obvious. If they trusted him, he'd be playing more on offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jordy's comments about Janis were very telling to say the least. In a round about nice way he was trying to say "Janis is lost on the field and AR knows it". I think we all know that AR is at is best when he is confident that his WR's are running their routes and understanding his subtle audibles, which allows him to focus on the Defense and plan his strategy for each play. Jordy was his #1 guy for chemistry and the way the offense is running this year, that lack of chemistry with his receivers shows at times. Getting Adams back and maybe even getting Abby going will definitely help, but I just don't see Janis playing much until he can prove to his teammates that his head is in the game.

H

HardRightEdge

That's obvious, but not precisely correct.

In 2013, Gronkowski missed the first 6 games of the season coming off the arm infection and back surgery. He came back to play in the next 6 games, and then blew his ACL in the 7th. where he caught 2 passes.

In the 10 games he missed entirely or in part, the Pats went 8-2. In the 6 games he was fully available, the Pats went 4-2.

In the 8-2 games, the Pats scored on average 25 points against 17 surrendered. Compare and contrast to the Packers eerily similar 27 - 16 averages this season.

In the 4-2 games with Gronkowski in 2013. the averages were 33 for against 27 surrendered.

On the season, the Pats had 2 receivers with over 50 catches (Edelman and Amendola) with no particular deep threat (or any other kind of receiving threat other than those 2 guys). They ran the ball well and played solid defense in adapting to the loss of a star player. Good teams take lemons and make lemonade.

The parallel with the Packers 2015 season sans Nelson is apt.

Are Gronkowksi and Nelson worth an average of 8 points per game for their respective teams over a second string or journeyman replacement? That could certainly be a subject for discussion along the lines of MLB's "wins over replacement" analyses if anybody wishes to take on that daunting challenge.

In any event, while fully aware of the many unrelated factors at work, in the final analysis the Packer's scored an average of 30 points per game last season compared to 27 this season. The fall off is not as pronounced as the subject of this thread would suggest. Fans have been conditioned to value highlight reel fireworks and fantasy points. Good teams find ways to win. When the offense struggles, the D steps up. When the D struggles, the O finds ways to put up point. And above all, they finish games.

Given the collection of good-to-adequate weapons, there's no reason the Packers offense can't be highly productive, and I expect that to be the case as the process of adaptation evolves. Injuries could derail the process, but that's always a reasonable disclaimer.

In the end, the Pats finished 12-4 in 2013, and lost on the road in the AFCC game to Denver. In 2015, they finished 12-4 but had home field in the AFCC where the beat Indy.

We'll just have to see which way the ball bounces, and sometimes it comes down to just one ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

That's obvious, but not precisely correct.

In 2013, Gronkowski missed the first 6 games of the season coming off the arm infection and back surgery. He came back to play in the next 6 games, and then blew his ACL in the 7th. where he caught 2 passes.

In the 10 games he missed entirely or in part, the Pats went 8-2. In the 6 games he was fully available, the Pats went 4-2.

In the 8-2 games, the Pats scored on average 25 points against 17 surrendered. Compare and contrast to the Packers eerily similar 27 - 16 averages this season.

In the 4-2 games with Gronkowski in 2013. the averages were 33 for against 27 surrendered.

On the season, the Pats had 2 receivers with over 50 catches (Edelman and Amendola) with no particular deep threat (or any other kind of receiving threat other than those 2 guys). They ran the ball well and played solid defense in adapting to the loss of a star player. Good teams take lemons and make lemonade.

The parallel with the Packers 2015 season sans Nelson is apt.

Are Gronkowksi and Nelson worth an average of 8 points per game for their respective teams over a second string or journeyman replacement? That could certainly be a subject for discussion along the lines of MLB's "wins over replacement" analyses if anybody wishes to take on that daunting challenge.

In any event, while fully aware of the many unrelated factors at work, in the final analysis the Packer's scored an average of 30 points per game last season compared to 27 this season. The fall off is not as pronounced as the subject of this thread would suggest. Fans have been conditioned to value highlight reel fireworks and fantasy points. Good teams find ways to win. When the offense struggles, the D steps up. When the D struggles, the O finds ways to put up point. And above all, they finish games.

Given the collection of good-to-adequate weapons, there's no reason the Packers offense can't be highly productive, and I expect that to be the case as the process of adaptation evolves. Injuries could derail the process, but that's always a reasonable disclaimer.

In the end, the Pats finished 12-4 in 2013, and lost on the road in the AFCC game to Denver. In 2015, they finished 12-4 but had home field in the AFCC where the beat Indy.

We'll just have to see which way the ball bounces, and sometimes it comes down to just one ball.

The Patriots have been able to adapt to not having an elite receiver even while not having Gronkowski in the lineup just like the Packers have over the last two games. That´s not the point when discussing the offense though and having Gronk more than makes up for not having a true #1 receiver while Richard Rodgers for sure can´t compensate for losing Jordy Nelson before this season.

H

HardRightEdge

The Patriots have been able to adapt to not having an elite receiver even while not having Gronkowski in the lineup just like the Packers have over the last two games. That´s not the point when discussing the offense though and having Gronk more than makes up for not having a true #1 receiver while Richard Rodgers for sure can´t compensate for losing Jordy Nelson before this season.
While an obvious random observation, that does not address my post.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Or it could mean that besides strength and straight line speed he's just innately not a good enough football player for the NFL. I think there is evidence to suggest that.
Donald Driver had 39? total receptions in his first 3 years combined. There's hope for JJ yet if he can "get it."

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald Driver had 39? total receptions in his first 3 years combined. There's hope for JJ yet if he can "get it."

Possibly but for Janis to even have a chance at matching Drivers 39 total receptions through 3 years right now it looks like he'd have to improve astronomically from his 2nd to 3rd year.

Also the reason why it's brought up is because Janis just might be the most hyped up 7th rounder ever

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It also doesn't hurt that Tom, without pocket movement, typically has enough time behind line to read a book without getting sacked.

Members online

Latest posts