Janis??

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of your post but there are 46 active players on game day as of now. The league changed that some seasons ago.

That's right, thanks. Forgot they dropped the "3rd QB as emergency 46th man" rule a few years ago.

OP
OP
W

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think it would be a great time of year to implement Janis into the offense. He doesn't have to learn the whole offense, teach him 6 plays for the game and bring him in on plays you need a big bang play. Just keep it simple so he knows exactly what his assignment is and then the next game change those plays up or run the same plays out of different formations. This is a great tool and will affect the other teams defense because it is a un-scouted look for them, they have no idea what kind of route he is going to run.

OP
OP
W

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this is why Janis hasn't earned more snaps from scrimmage. Said another way: It's not that Janis doesn't know how to run a skinny post or a dig route. It's that he doesn't know well enough what adjustments need to be made just before and after the ball is snapped based upon what the defense is doing. And most pro defenses do all they can to disguise their scheme pre-snap so receivers have to adjust their routes 'on the fly'. Both Rodgers and the receivers have to read the D the same way or they won't be 'on the same page'. That Janis could easily dominate his competition on the college level at Saginaw Valley is probably working against him in the NFL. My guess is reading defenses and adjusting on the fly was completely new to him when he arrived in Green Bay. Another way to think about it: Janis is currently playing checkers, he needs to be playing chess.

The good news is his physical talent. If he's working hard to learn he'll be an asset in the passing game.

This is the beauty of playing him, he doesn't have to read the defense. Put in out there in 4 wide sets and have him run his route regardless of what the defense is playing. If there is an adjustment Rodgers makes make his adjustments with the other 3 receivers. The defense isn't going to know how to play Janis because they have no idea how Green Bay uses him.

OP
OP
W

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the beauty of playing him, he doesn't have to read the defense. Put in out there in 4 wide sets and have him run his route regardless of what the defense is playing. If there is an adjustment Rodgers makes make his adjustments with the other 3 receivers. The defense isn't going to know how to play Janis because they have no idea how Green Bay uses him.

Actually if you think about it the main 3 wideouts have 15 games of film for the opposing defense to study and see how Green Bay deploys them. Here is the x factor they won't be prepared for.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are obviously not playing him because they want to lose games. I mean, if he was showing that he could be an effective receiver at practice (which apparently many here think he's doing) and yet neither Rodgers nor MM want him on the field, the only logical conclusion is that they're intentionally slowing down the offense.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see him stretch the field but at what expense? The special teams units are already crap and I really don't think removing Boykin or Goodson would be wise. Janis doesn't strike me as a special teamer other than maybe hands team and return guy.

Now if he could blow up the other teams gunner on PR or at least stop him...maybe put a hand on him...maybe disrupt his free missile-like run at the returner.....I would be all for adding him. Bush and Goodson were BRUTAL last week (I know one was bush and I think the other was goodson...or banjo...hard to read the numbers when they were getting torched by tampa's gunner). At least towards the end of the game Slocum added help to one of their sides.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really think it would be a great time of year to implement Janis into the offense. He doesn't have to learn the whole offense, teach him 6 plays for the game and bring him in on plays you need a big bang play. Just keep it simple so he knows exactly what his assignment is and then the next game change those plays up or run the same plays out of different formations. This is a great tool and will affect the other teams defense because it is a un-scouted look for them, they have no idea what kind of route he is going to run.

With the limited production Boykin has had all season Janis would have played extensively if he would be able to make an impact. He won't get open on speed alone in the NFL though and it's pretty obvious his route running isn't sharp enough for him to get any snaps.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's nowhere near as simple as taking a random player and doing un scouted looks. That alone does not mean it would work by any means. Janis would still have to beat the coverage. They defense will line up and play as if he were any other non-star receiver.

The defense won't be like "Who is player I've never seen before? I don't know, so I'll just panic and let him get open."

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant believe Janis could be any worse than Boykin at this point. What does he have 3 catches all year not to mention how many passes he has knocked down. You could at least send Janis deep and he would probably drag 2 defenders with him opening up something underneath. I think its worth a roll of the dice at this point.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis has working with the team since last spring. You'd think, by now he could run proper routes. Boykins hasn't done squat this year. It must be a special teams thing.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly and what has he really done on our magnificent special teams this year?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant believe Janis could be any worse than Boykin at this point. What does he have 3 catches all year not to mention how many passes he has knocked down. You could at least send Janis deep and he would probably drag 2 defenders with him opening up something underneath. I think its worth a roll of the dice at this point.

With Jordy and Cobb on the field, 0ur 7th round DII pick who has not done anything yet is not going to drag two defenders with him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Too late to implement Janis at this point unless major injury. This is a next year story.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Logic would say that is true. It would also say you play the guys that got you there.....
But the element of suprise would be a valuable weapon. In my opinion. Janis made it to the NFL. He made McCarthys eyebrow raise more than once. I think he can handle streaking down the sideline...

If ANYTHING! He will make the other teams coaches take notice, and adjust. That alone is worth putting him on the field a half dozen plays a game. In my opinion.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Logic would say that is true. It would also say you play the guys that got you there.....
But the element of suprise would be a valuable weapon. In my opinion. Janis made it to the NFL. He made McCarthys eyebrow raise more than once. I think he can handle streaking down the sideline...

If ANYTHING! He will make the other teams coaches take notice, and adjust. That alone is worth putting him on the field a half dozen plays a game. In my opinion.

It's a **** thought and I have been disappointed with Boykin and also Harris in the return game but I think it still has to remain just a thought.

Were going into playoff games in venue's such as Seattle possibly. I'm not sure I like the risk in this situation.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Adjust to what though? He's not going to be a star as soon as he steps in so the defense can cover him just like they would cover anyone else.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Adjust to what though? He's not going to be a star as soon as he steps in so the defense can cover him just like they would cover anyone else.

I agree. He has no film or done anything for other teams to adjust to. It would be more of a surprise element but I see a lot of risk here. This guy hasn't played at all and hasn't been in a game situation with Rodgers and Co. at all.

Next year story.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems you guys forgot how fast he is....? When he gets up to speed, he was passing dudes up like they were standing still. That speed is rare. And I think it would be noticed right away.

Reminds me of this dude that knocked me out back in the day. He went southpaw, and did a slow obvious left hook. Every time i went to block he snuck a nasty quick right in there..... Got me after 3 or 4 of them..... Janis is that left hook, that gets the defense looking, and reacting.... Then the real weapons can clean up!.

Davante Adams has a special physical ability, and questionable route running. Along with inconsistant play this rookie year... It wouldnt even be a down grade to put the other rookie in a few plays to see if it could work.

Dont get me wrong guys. I agree. I am just curious, and would like to see the dude raise the NFLs eyebrows when we least expect it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It seems you guys forgot how fast he is....? When he gets up to speed, he was passing dudes up like they were standing still. That speed is rare. And I think it would be noticed right away.

Reminds me of this dude that knocked me out back in the day. He went southpaw, and did a slow obvious left hook. Every time i went to block he snuck a nasty quick right in there..... Got me after 3 or 4 of them..... Janis is that left hook, that gets the defense looking, and reacting.... Then the real weapons can clean up!.

Davante Adams has a special physical ability, and questionable route running. Along with inconsistant play this rookie year... It wouldnt even be a down grade to put the other rookie in a few plays to see if it could work.

Dont get me wrong guys. I agree. I am just curious, and would like to see the dude raise the NFLs eyebrows when we least expect it.

Yeah but your talking about "real in-game timing" at the highest level that he has none of this year with our offense. There is a lot more to it then just lining up a fast guy and saying Go.

We don't even know the progression of Janis's "route tree".

IMO we can't afford to be wasting plays experimenting with Janis. Way to big of games.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

The last thing I am going to say about Janis is do you really think there just holding him back? Like he has been on the team all year and MM in just "chaining him up like a monster" and refuses to unleash him. You have to believe that if MM thought he could help us win he would of been implemented already. He obviously needs some development coming from a division 2 program.

Your just going to have some patience with Janis as more will most likely be revealed "next year".

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sorry but I don't think janis is not getting playing time because he don't know the playbook. Its week 16 going on 17 and honestly the offense is stacked with receivers only way i can see him getting playing time is if someone gets injured.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If all you are looking for is a speed burner to fly deep, put Shields on offense for a few plays. Probably be just as effective. Wouldn't be wasting any 46 man roster spots with a spot player that way.

Members online

Latest posts