Janis??

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You raise a very controversial point. Maybe the coaches aren't as capable as we thought. It's obvious that something had to be the reason for the drop-off in offensive production this season. Maybe it was coaching. One thing for certain is that it wasn't Janis who was responsible for that downturn. He hardly got to play.
It's not like we're ever going to see a different coaching staff to determine if they were the problem.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO....Van Pelt needs to only work with QB's and not also with the WR's. Bring in a quality WR coach and let him do his thing with what on paper, appears to be a group of guys with a lot of potential.

Sky King

Reaction score
It's not like we're ever going to see a different coaching staff to determine if they were the problem.
Some necessary realignment/reassignments may occur this coming off-season. My guess is that McCarthy will be under far more scrutiny by fans and the media next season than in any of his previous seasons, except maybe for his first one. The SB victory has led to elevated playoff expectations ever since, fair or not.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think Janis will ever reach Jordy's level but he doesn't have to, to become a valuable asset as a WR. I hope he shows the dedication that Jordy said he was lacking earlier this season. (BTW, they have a good WR coach available: Bennett.)
The guy ran a 4.30 flat in one if his takes at the combine. At 6'3" and 220 lbs. 37 inch vertical, and had like 25 reps on the bench at the combine. 99th percentile in regards to his catch radius. His physical attributes are off the charts.
Where did the catch radius number come from? I couldn't find it. (BTW you didn't mean 99% have a bigger catch radius, did you? ;))

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Look all you need to know is this if Janis improves his route running next year and learns the playbook he will definitely be one of our top two wideouts
I really hope you are correct and he seizes the role and doesn't just get it due to attrition from injuries. That would make the team much better. Even if Abby or the kid on the PS or even a draft pick grab the spot the team is much better.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Janis will ever reach Jordy's level but he doesn't have to, to become a valuable asset as a WR. I hope he shows the dedication that Jordy said he was lacking earlier this season. (BTW, they have a good WR coach available: Bennett.) Where did the catch radius number come from? I couldn't find it. (BTW you didn't mean 99% have a bigger catch radius, did you? ;))
There was a link to his test results on my original post.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You raise a very controversial point. Maybe the coaches aren't as capable as we thought. It's obvious that something had to be the reason for the drop-off in offensive production this season. Maybe it was coaching. One thing for certain is that it wasn't Janis who was responsible for that downturn. He hardly got to play.

It was reported back in T camp that he was struggling in practice, that was before he made a number of splash plays in the pre season. It's not a novel concept that some guys are mediocre or struggle in practice and then things click when the pressure is on. Des Bishop was regarded as that kind of a player, sucked in practice but every time he got out on the field...

Sky King

Reaction score
It was reported back in T camp that he was struggling in practice, that was before he made a number of splash plays in the pre season. It's not a novel concept that some guys are mediocre or struggle in practice and then things click when the pressure is on. Des Bishop was regarded as that kind of a player, sucked in practice but every time he got out on the field...
Janis was a man amongst boys playing at a very small school in an obscure conference. He did not have the advantage of elite competition or coaching to draw out the best in him the way players from the SEC, PAC, or BIG 10 typically do. He was not as NFL ready as one of them and he needs more time to develop. But even at that he looks as though he definitely belongs in the NFL.

That he would come through in the clutch as well as he did during this last game shows that he may be mentally tough, too. That was impressive. The Packers did not lose the game because Janis was one of those players who wilted under pressure. The biggest game of the season was not too big for him, especially in its most pressure-filled moments during that last Packer drive. To me, that bodes quite well for his future. He's off to a fine start.

Experience should only help to make him become a much better player. That may be all that's truly lacking from his game at this juncture. He's certainly not lacking the tangibles. Personally, I look forward to seeing him transform into a reliable, starting caliber NFL WR. He's earned my patience.

D

Deleted member 6794

Look all you need to know is this if Janis improves his route running next year and learns the playbook he will definitely be one of our top two wideouts

That´s a big question mark though as Janis has had two years to improve his route running and knowledge of the playbook but hasn´t been able to do it so far.

I was taking a stab at the bench. That's still very strong for a WR. Look it up on Youtube, they have a video of him running 4.30. Only the slowest 40 time is listed for players.

He was listed 98th percentile for size/speed with the 4.42 time, and 99th in catch radius.

http://www.playerprofiler.com/article/jeff-janis-davante-adams/

He might have one of the best catch radiuses because of his measurements but he doesn´t use it to catch balls away from his body, something great NFL receivers absolutely have to be capable of.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That´s a big question mark though as Janis has had two years to improve his route running and knowledge of the playbook but hasn´t been able to do it so far.

He might have one of the best catch radiuses because of his measurements but he doesn´t use it to catch balls away from his body, something great NFL receivers absolutely have to be capable of.

This . Watch Jordy. All hands, doesn't let the ball get into his body.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis was a man amongst boys playing at a very small school in an obscure conference. He did not have the advantage of elite competition or coaching to draw out the best in him the way players from the SEC, PAC, or BIG 10 typically do. He was not as NFL ready as one of them and he needs more time to develop. But even at that he looks as though he definitely belongs in the NFL.

That he would come through in the clutch as well as he did during this last game shows that he may be mentally tough, too. That was impressive. The Packers did not lose the game because Janis was one of those players who wilted under pressure. The biggest game of the season was not too big for him, especially in its most pressure-filled moments during that last Packer drive. To me, that bodes quite well for his future. He's off to a fine start.

Experience should only help to make him become a much better player. That may be all that's truly lacking from his game at this juncture. He's certainly not lacking the tangibles. Personally, I look forward to seeing him transform into a reliable, starting caliber NFL WR. He's earned my patience.

When I get down on Janis, I try to remember he was a 7th round pick from Saginaw Valley State. Big jump to the NFL, lots to learn.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If he improves those two things along with the ability to catch the ball away from his body at a rate never before seen in the NFL than he might have a chance to be one of the top two WRs next year. Unless your thinking the WR position will be hit every bit as hard by injuries as they were this season

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he improves those two things along with the ability to catch the ball away from his body at a rate never before seen in the NFL than he might have a chance to be one of the top two WRs next year. Unless your thinking the WR position will be hit every bit as hard by injuries as they were this season
You mean like he did on the Hail Mary?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a microcosm of Jeff Janis, tremendous physical talent but odd technique, the Catch:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And theres a certain Giants recievers from a certain SB that shows that one great play isn't necessary proof of things to come

David Tyree had one great game saving catch, Janis had two. David Tyree caught 3 balls for 43 yards, Janis caught 7 for 145. Its a fair comparison but should be taken with a heavy helping of salt. One great game does not make a career.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
David Tyree had one great game saving catch, Janis had two. David Tyree caught 3 balls for 43 yards, Janis caught 7 for 145. Its a fair comparison but should be taken with a heavy helping of salt.

Was simply responding to the post pointing to the Hail Mary catch as evidence that he's in line to among our top 2 WRs next year.

He had a great game. But for a better comparison I can point to Samkon Gado

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was simply responding to the post pointing to the Hail Mary catch as evidence that he's in line to among our top 2 WRs next year.

He had a great game. But for a better comparison I can point to Samkon Gado

now there's a comparison.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts