Janis??

desertdog55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep hearing Janis this and Janis that. There must be some kind of reason he is not getting playing time. Could it be that he may not have impressed the coaching staff as much as he has posters on here? I am sure people who post in sports forums have much more insight than any coach on the team would, right? LOL Just my opinion...I could be wrong.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although there is a player who is currently better, they feel the other player is maxed out. Perhaps they would give more play time to the player with more potential, considering the long term implications on the team.
I wish they would. I think Boykins has had his 15 minutes.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis' contributions have been exactly as expected for a #5 WR. Minimal playing time on offense, often inactive on gameday.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.packerforum.com/threads...ready-seperating-himself-from-the-pack.53561/

a ton of pages on him already..So not sure why another one was needed..

But since we are here----

We know he is fast, can catch, why isnt he playing??

Its been 4 months or so since training camp, and still the team is having trust issues is what I heard two weeks ago..

At this point I am pretty sure he wont see any WR playing time unless something goes really wrong with the current group

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I keep hearing Janis this and Janis that. There must be some kind of reason he is not getting playing time. Could it be that he may not have impressed the coaching staff as much as he has posters on here? I am sure people who post in sports forums have much more insight than any coach on the team would, right? LOL Just my opinion...I could be wrong.

JJ cant be trusted with his routes

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO this is why Janis hasn't earned more snaps from scrimmage.
And it's not just knowing the playbook per se. Playing WR involves reading the defense and choosing the best option in the route. This involves being on the same page as the QB, seeing what the QB sees, going where the QB expects you to go. Then there's the art of freelancing...when the play breaks down and the QB is on the move the WR needs to find the open spot available. Whether one wants to call it quick and effective mental processing or "instincts" is a matter of terminology. There is a lot more art and lot less science to the process than most fans would acknowledge.
Said another way: It's not that Janis doesn't know how to run a skinny post or a dig route. It's that he doesn't know well enough what adjustments need to be made just before and after the ball is snapped based upon what the defense is doing. And most pro defenses do all they can to disguise their scheme pre-snap so receivers have to adjust their routes 'on the fly'. Both Rodgers and the receivers have to read the D the same way or they won't be 'on the same page'. That Janis could easily dominate his competition on the college level at Saginaw Valley is probably working against him in the NFL. My guess is reading defenses and adjusting on the fly was completely new to him when he arrived in Green Bay. Another way to think about it: Janis is currently playing checkers, he needs to be playing chess.

The good news is his physical talent. If he's working hard to learn he'll be an asset in the passing game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR doesn't seem to be a position GB has trouble putting on the field. The drop off for Boykin this year is surprising to me. He hasn't had the opportunities and when he's had them, he's mostly dropped them. Janis either isn't getting it in terms of the playbook, or has too many lapses on when and where to be in a route. Considering the Packers success in evaluating and putting good WR's on the field, I think if he was better than anyone of the field now, they'd be replaced.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's a 7th round developmental draft pick that needs time in the system to learn how to play his position. No rush. At this point, it's more important to the team for R. Rodgers and Adams to continue progressing. We're going to be fine. I suspect that with 9 draft picks in hand, we'll likely see the addition of another pass catching weapon that can play in the slot and work from out of the backfield.

Reaction score
WR doesn't seem to be a position GB has trouble putting on the field. The drop off for Boykin this year is surprising to me. He hasn't had the opportunities and when he's had them, he's mostly dropped them. Janis either isn't getting it in terms of the playbook, or has too many lapses on when and where to be in a route. Considering the Packers success in evaluating and putting good WR's on the field, I think if he was better than anyone of the field now, they'd be replaced.
Agreed. We have to trust in the coaches whom get significant time studying his potential.. If there was an opportunity, it would be nice to see him get 5-10 snaps. They could use him on special drills.. (2 min) where you typically have 4-5 WR set anyway and limited playbook. He's certainly talented. there must be "more than meets the eye" here.

Reaction score
Anyone remember him being out for multiple weeks earlier this year? I believe it was a "non-injury" related issue during preseason? This is just a vague memory so I could be off here, but I'd be curious what was that all about?
Anyone have info on that?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't forgotten about him,he's just on IR. Won't be able to see him till next year

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im going to say it. Janis is a secret weapon. He wouldnt be a secret if we started showing him off when games dont matter. Would be interesting to see if we get a Janis sighting next week with the division on the line?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Im going to say it. Janis is a secret weapon. He wouldnt be a secret if we started showing him off when games dont matter. Would be interesting to see if we get a Janis sighting next week with the division on the line?

Ummm

no

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I wouldn't mind some player coming from nowhere and playing at an all-pro level right about now on offense, defense, or special teams, I don't think Janis has been sitting on the secret weapon shelf by the coaches to unleash in the postseason.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post game radio brought up a great point last night. They basically said, "A 7th round pick out of a DII school is probably not going to do much as a rookie."

Also, now is not the time to figure out if guys can play. It's the time to play guys we know can play. - That's summarized from Vic of Packers.com

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis will benefit from the year in the system that he's gotten, and depending on how the roster shakes up next year, he might compete for an increased role in training camp.

Speed alone isn't going to make him a major weapon in the offense. His route running, ability to beat press coverage, skill in space, among many other WR skills, will determine how much he can contribute -- and most of those skills are still a work in progress.

It would be pretty unprecedented and dangerous to force a raw 7th round rookie receiver into increased action at playoff time. Since we're healthy at WR we aren't forced to make that kind of move.

H

HardRightEdge

I find it interesting that Janis has not even been able to crack special teams; all the more reason to think there's a lot of polishing required

I see where he had a 32 on his second crack at the Wonderlic, so he's got the native intelligence to eventually figure it out. His football intelligence remains to be seen.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it interesting that Janis has not even been able to crack special teams; all the more reason to think there's a lot of polishing required

I see where he had a 32 on his second crack at the Wonderlic, so he's got the native intelligence to eventually figure it out. His football intelligence remains to be seen.

He's been inactive a lot (from my recollections), which is actually a good thing.

Since you can only have 45 out of 53 active, most of the 8 inactive often come from the week to week injured players. Other than Boykin being nicked up earlier this year that hasn't really been a problem at WR or really the team in general.

I think there were Sundays in the last couple years where we were lucky to have 45 guys that were healthy enough to play.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's been inactive a lot (from my recollections), which is actually a good thing.

Since you can only have 45 out of 53 active, most of the 8 inactive often come from the week to week injured players. Other than Boykin being nicked up earlier this year that hasn't really been a problem at WR or really the team in general.

I think there were Sundays in the last couple years where we were lucky to have 45 guys that were healthy enough to play.

I agree with most of your post but there are 46 active players on game day as of now. The league changed that some seasons ago.

Members online

Latest posts