Jamal Williams

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if RB is so easy to replace in the draft, why is a mid-level RB going to command big $$ in free agency when most teams could better address that need with a 3rd round RB selection in the draft? Due to covid, this will not be a good year to be a mid-level free agent running back. Who is going to over-pay for him?
Because there is always some stupid owner/GM with enough cap space to be looking for the easy answer.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's the nice thing about Jamaal-- you can make him a modest offer, let him test the market, and then see if he wants to stay with the Pack.

If he does, great! You've got a reliable player in the RB mix.

If no, it's not the end of the world.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys do realize that Rodgers went like 3 seasons straight without a running game right? You have to be able to run the ball in the winter months...you just have to. We can’t ask Rodgers to carry the offense by himself at 37 like he did at 30. He’s gotta be able to hand the ball off to a guy who can get yards.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if RB is so easy to replace in the draft, why is a mid-level RB going to command big $$ in free agency when most teams could better address that need with a 3rd round RB selection in the draft? Due to covid, this will not be a good year to be a mid-level free agent running back. Who is going to over-pay for him?

Good question, because he's good enough to be productive anywhere - so someone will pay him more than what a rookie would get. A team that wants somewhat of a sure thing without the risk of a draft pick.

Maybe the right move is to let them test the market and see if they'll take a home town discount. AJ Dillon could be the guy though, in which case we'll need to see what he can do before the end of the season. Even then, they'll need to bring in a couple RB's for depth.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the key. I had no doubt that Dillon was drafted in anticipation of Jones, Williams, or both leaving in FA. However, since they've barely had Dillon on the field leads me to believe that they will work to keep at least one of the RBs. Not having either of those guys and leaving the RB to Ervin and Dillon would be a potential disaster....unless Dillon starts getting some meaningful minutes. I'm sure that he's got a few more snaps than this, but at this season he has 23 carries. LeFleur was feeding him five per game, but this Covid has knocked him out for the entire month of November. That's also not a good sign. It's gone beyond the standard two weeks.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Jamaal may have priced himself out of GB with some of those runs last night. Keep in mind, running backs are the easiest position to replace in the draft. I've wanted Aaron back because he's probably my favorite player, but the RB position is just not as valuable to a franchise as an o-lineman or d-lineman. Locking up Bak and Clark has made it tough to get either back signed.
A lot could depend on what RB’s are also going to hit the free agent market as well as the depth and quality of this year’s RB draft class.
I’m not going to pretend that replacing Jones is going to be near as easy as some here make it sound. He’s developed into a very good all-around RB over the last 3 and a half years.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot could depend on what RB’s are also going to hit the free agent market as well as the depth and quality of this year’s RB draft class.
I’m not going to pretend that replacing Jones is going to be near as easy as some here make it sound. He’s developed into a very good all-around RB over the last 3 and a half years.
Personally... I don’t think it’s going to be easy at all. Unfortunately that fact does not make him affordable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally... I don’t think it’s going to be easy at all. Unfortunately that fact does not make him affordable.

EXACTLY - it says a lot when the majority of attempting to replace him is Williams needing resigned, a high draft pick in Dillon, a jet sweep hybrid resign of Ervin or similar AND additional draft capital most likely spent in 2021 (not too mention Dexter and Taylor also)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the key. I had no doubt that Dillon was drafted in anticipation of Jones, Williams, or both leaving in FA. However, since they've barely had Dillon on the field leads me to believe that they will work to keep at least one of the RBs. Not having either of those guys and leaving the RB to Ervin and Dillon would be a potential disaster....unless Dillon starts getting some meaningful minutes. I'm sure that he's got a few more snaps than this, but at this season he has 23 carries. LeFleur was feeding him five per game, but this Covid has knocked him out for the entire month of November. That's also not a good sign. It's gone beyond the standard two weeks.
Not a good sign and a lot of people have side effects after they have beaten Covid. Like weakness being one. Maybe a football player recovers quicker and deals with side effects better but maybe he is still not 100%. So tough to know what we have even if he comes back. Unless he kills it of course.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I learned my lesson last year when it comes to this FO/staff and personnel decisions.

I was pretty adamant that letting Bulaga walk would create an untenable situation. They didn't hesitate to let him go, and have a done a great job in his absence.

This does not mean that every time they let someone walk, they're automatically right. But it does mean that they deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to guys on their own roster.

I'd love to have Jones or Williams back. Williams seems more feasible to me. If it's neither, I will wait and see what comes of it without panicking.

They've invested in a guy high in the draft, it's a position where rookies can help immediately, and there are always other FA options.

Tevin Coleman, Chris Carson, Wayne Gallman, Malcolm Brown, Marlon Mack, Mike Davis, and Kenyan Drake are all interesting names. Some will be too expensive for the Packers, but others will have to settle for less.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is any position that is “easy” and “cheap” to replace comparative to other positions in the NFL, it is RB.

I ain’t worried.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really think Green Bay is good enough to run the playoffs then more than likely play the chiefs in the super bowl? It would be a absolute embarrassment for a Super Bowl worse than the Broncos Seahawks mahomes would absolutely abuse, punish, torch, bend the packers defense over with no lube.... put up 60 points it would be over before halftime

Maybe, but we didnt look like a Super Bowl team mid way through 2010 either. We should make the playoffs and then the rest is just being hot at the right time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you nailed this perfectly. It’s why I fully expect to see a CB and WR drafted in the first 4 rounds next year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love Jones back, but I agree that we will more likely end up with Williams paired with Dillon, Ervin and Williams. We would be a worse running team for it, but we'd still have a more than capable RB committee. I do think Jones would be our biggest priority in FA right now
Agreed. It will of course come down to $$$. That's probably around $10 mil/year for Jones. Hard to do when there are needs on the D (or is it just coaching? Not sure.) Either way, Williams is not as flashy as Jones but is more durable, and can do everything else. I'd be disappointed, not devastated, if Jones doesn't come back.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that someone is going to offer Jones considerably more than 10 million a year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just love the guy. Wish he could be a Packer for a long time. :cry:

Members online

Latest posts