Jamal Williams

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might ruffle some feathers but I think you’re looking at the Packers RB1 of the future. As much as I like Jones, Williams continuously shows he’s more than capable of being a starting Rb in this league. He catches the ball, he blocks, he runs hard, he’s pretty durable, and He’s beloved by the fans. Most importantly his price tag is going to be cheaper than Jones.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might ruffle some feathers but I think you’re looking at the Packers RB1 of the future. As much as I like Jones, Williams continuously shows he’s more than capable of being a starting Rb in this league. He catches the ball, he blocks, he runs hard, he’s pretty durable, and He’s beloved by the fans. Most importantly his price tag is going to be cheaper than Jones.

On numerous threads many have discussed fiscally this makes the most sense as HARD as it is for many of us to type it. Jones will need to take a big home town cut if he stays with us OR some hard cuts and slicing into the roster elsewhere will need done to sign Jones.

Williams is very capable. Factor in hopefully Dillon growth and resign Ervin - the committee will never be Jones, but could easily find their own successful direction post-Jones era.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love Jones back, but I agree that we will more likely end up with Williams paired with Dillon, Ervin and Williams. We would be a worse running team for it, but we'd still have a more than capable RB committee. I do think Jones would be our biggest priority in FA right now

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always felt Williams re-signed and Jones walking away was the most likely scenario in all of this.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Williams would be more cap friendly.

He’s not a feature back, but he could have a heavy role in a rotation.

His capability in pass pro and receiving would be great skill sets to keep around.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob demorvsky reported that they both will likely walk tho.. which is pathetic

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've accepted they might both be gone too depending on the cost. There is going to be a lot different next year Rb's could be new, pSmith could be gone, Linsley will be gone, etc

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Rob demorvsky reported that they both will likely walk tho.. which is pathetic

Would be nice for them though! They probably can't wait to get off of this wretched team. Worst squad in the NFL. Pathetic doesn't even begin to capture it.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've accepted they might both be gone too depending on the cost. There is going to be a lot different next year Rb's could be new, pSmith could be gone, Linsley will be gone, etc
Rodgers could be gone too

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be nice for them though! They probably can't wait to get off of this wretch team. Worst squad in the NFL. Pathetic doesn't even begin to capture it.
Do you really think Green Bay is good enough to run the playoffs then more than likely play the chiefs in the super bowl? It would be a absolute embarrassment for a Super Bowl worse than the Broncos Seahawks mahomes would absolutely abuse, punish, torch, bend the packers defense over with no lube.... put up 60 points it would be over before halftime

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Do you really think Green Bay is good enough to run the playoffs then more than likely play the chiefs in the super bowl? It would be a absolute embarrassment for a Super Bowl worse than the Broncos Seahawks mahomes would absolutely abuse, punish, torch, bend the packers defense over with no lube.... put up 60 points it would be over before halftime

Worse than an embarrassment. They should disband the franchise and shutter Lambeau forever. It's an offense to sports everywhere.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if some very crazy things happened, sure. If things continue remotely the same as they have I'd put the chances around .02%
They could very well trade him I know the cap hit etc but they could finesse something. If it doesn’t happen this year next year is his last. Lafleur and gute got there guy in love and they want him to play. Wether they ever say that or not they want it

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be absolutely dumb to let both of them walk. I’m not sold not have I seen anything in Dillon or Williams that would make me comfortable with either as the feature back. This is a 5-6 win team without Jones or Williams. They already have a lack of weapons as it is.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be absolutely dumb to let both of them walk. I’m not sold not have I seen anything in Dillon or Williams that would make me comfortable with either as the feature back. This is a 5-6 win team without Jones or Williams. They already have a lack of weapons as it is.
They are 3 win team when love comes in too lol

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
why do you even bother? The KC defense is not much different statistically than what the Packers played last night or last week.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams is a good back, but I do not think that he is a #1 RB like Jones. That said I would be fine rolling the dice with Williams and Dillon next season, assuming that Jones is too expensive due to our cap situation.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have thought all along that Jones will be getting big money and Williams little money. But if Williams is going to be a higher price tag than I thought; then keep Jones for sure. I like Williams a lot. But not as the starter.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jamaal may have priced himself out of GB with some of those runs last night. Keep in mind, running backs are the easiest position to replace in the draft. I've wanted Aaron back because he's probably my favorite player, but the RB position is just not as valuable to a franchise as an o-lineman or d-lineman. Locking up Bak and Clark has made it tough to get either back signed.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jamaal may have priced himself out of GB with some of those runs last night. Keep in mind, running backs are the easiest position to replace in the draft. I've wanted Aaron back because he's probably my favorite player, but the RB position is just not as valuable to a franchise as an o-lineman or d-lineman. Locking up Bak and Clark has made it tough to get either back signed.
So if RB is so easy to replace in the draft, why is a mid-level RB going to command big $$ in free agency when most teams could better address that need with a 3rd round RB selection in the draft? Due to covid, this will not be a good year to be a mid-level free agent running back. Who is going to over-pay for him?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think finding good players is easy. I do think some are more readily available from college to the pro level than others, like RB.

Every teams has decisions to make. There's only so much money to go around and more often than not, they have to let certain players go to keep more premium position players etc. I'm not a fan of premium contracts to RB's. Pass rushers, QB's, OT's and shut down DB's yes. the rest? mix and match get the best players you can for a contained cost.

i see Jones as a difference maker, but not at a position or body type I want to lock 10+ million per season in. Can easily see where he is allowed to walk.

Williams won't cost as much, and he's not as explosive, but he is a guy you can work an offense thru especially if they can get another pass catcher or 2. But what's his cost going to be?

I like Williams, probably more than a lot of you, but with the right pick you can certainly get a back like him too. The trade off between cap space and desired production is what Gute will have to decide on.

When you have a QB like Rodgers who is obviously in command of this offense, keep the horses in front to protect him and I think he can make a lot of things work. Of course you have to get the right guys, but it can be done.