1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaire Alexander's Safety

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by El Guapo, Sep 14, 2020.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Alexander gets beaten for huge gains a bit too much to my liking for a shutdown cornerback but overall his decision making doesn't seem to be an issue.

2. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Yes, as is prone to happen with young players. I agree that he does get beaten but am hopeful that it happens less in his third year. This is about the time that good players start putting it all together. The brains catch up to the brawn.

3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'm confident that Alexander will reduce the numbers of big plays given up moving forward as well. He definitely needs to to be considered a shutdown corner.

With that being said I like him being aggressive like on the play that resulted in the safety.

4. thequick12

thequick12 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    That's what great players do, they see things and make plays outside the scheme...how many times did charles woodson do stuff just like that

And to still make the play when you guess wrong that's a good sign that Alexander is on his way

5. ARPackFan

ARPackFan P-A-N-I-C

Packer Fan Since:
    Not complaining about the result of the play but how he got their. Some of the best plays in NFL history have been because of errors.

Missing a read is still a mistake and the Packers defense has been a big question mark for at least the last 8 years. Giving up 34 points in the 19 minutes the Vikings had possession does not exactly inspire confidence. My point is I hope that in the film room he is made to understand the error he made and how to prevent it in the future so he is not exploited by an opposing team's OC.

6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I don't have any issue with Alexander taking a gamble to make a play.

It's true that even great players will give up huge gains occasionally while doing so but as long as the ratio of that happening is reasonably low Pettine shouldn't try to limit that part of his game.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  7. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Great corners giving up a huge game is generally the equivalent of what Jaire gave up to Thielen in week 1. Jaire gave up over 200 yards in coverage against Cooper last season; Jaire has the potential to be great but he's not there yet.

8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    It's true that Alexander still gives up too many big plays to be considered an elite cornerback. I'm confident he will reduce that number moving forward though.

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'm not confident but I am hopeful.

10. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Good point. I gotta believe Rodgers or any truly elite QB would have seen this and thrown immediately to Thielen. Cousins is like Minnesota's answer to Jay Cutler.

11. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Hi El Guapo, thanks for this breakdown. One question though, why would Alexander blitz on what he thought was a run play? To catch the RB behind the line?

12. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Agreed. He's not quite there yet as far as an elite corner (and to me that means he's among the top five at his position). He is gifted athletically and he's a smart guy. I gotta believe he'll get there either this year or next year. Regardless, after so many failures drafting corners, it's nice to have Alexander and King in the secondary.

13. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    For me, Alexander is a microcosm of the defense. He can be either very good or very bad. It's year three, so all the lights should come on. What's encouraging for me is that his percentage of good plays are going up while his percentage of bad plays are going down. Still gets burned too much to be considered elite though.

14. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Yeah I think that's fair. Hopefully he continues to improve. And despite weaknesses on the DL and the ILB group, the D can come together at times, just not all the time. Clearly the DL and ILBs need to be addressed before next season. And as good as the offense has been, I just don't think a team gets to the SB, much less wins it, without at least a top 10 D, ideally top 5.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  15. Poppa San

Poppa San Levelheaded Staff Member Super Moderator Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    Correct.
    My concern is he sniffed out a run based on film FROM LAST SEASON. They didn't run but he was able to get home with a sack. He never considered they would run something different out of that formation and motion. That there is why the call was wrong but the mission a success.

16. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I saw Jaire hiding to the side of the big linemen and then let go and rushed fast. It's true Cousins was not looking over there but Jaire was hidden by the big dudes anyway. And Thielen's pattern was up the middle which was very congested. I don't think Cousins had time to do anything and Alexander made a great play. If there was a run coming around the end; he would have been there for the tackle. Ended up being a straight shot at the QB.

17. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The Packers might have to replace King after this season though.

18. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Thanks El Guapo, much appreciated!

19. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Interesting gopkrs. Thanks for the additional insight on that play.