Its time to go!

PackersATW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which one coach or player or maybe a combination of the two is it time for the Packers to part ways with?

3 of the assistant coaches have struggled, some due to injury some due to ineffectiveness.

Mark Lovat -strength and conditioning
James Campen -offensive line
Shawn Slocum -special teams

Campen will probably be retained for continuity since Robinson was signed away by Dallas. I say we cut bait with Slocum. I'm sorry but every team has injuries however the special teams have lost us several games over the last two years. How hard is it to tell your players to stay away from a punted ball that is not returnable? We've had problems more than once with that. We have made progress with individual players like Bush and Mastay. But the coverage units average at best and the return units are abysmal! Mason Crosby 1-4 in game winning fg attempts. Not signs of a successful special teams coordinator?

I suppose with the Super Bowl there's a good chance all coaches come back. If they were really serious about improving though McCarthy would suck it up and make a change or two.

Some really scratch their heads about Justin Harrell, but I think a weak link that is a forgotten man now is Brady Poppinga. I see a player with limited athletic ability that has been surpassed by all of our linebackers except maybe Matt Wilhelm. I never did see what the coaches saw in Poppinga.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slocum got killed but new players coming in on ST due to injury didnt help like you said. The players he had for the full season like bush, crosby, and masthay all improved throughout the season and I believe you have to keep him for one more year.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's pretty difficult to tell if a strength and conditioning coach should be fired. As fans we really don't know anything about what goes into that job, and we know injuries are mostly a completely random event. Players can't always help what happens if their knee buckles or if a player lands on their leg. We could keep the same coach and have 5 guys on IR next year in my opinion. Unless there's a legit flaw in what he does I don't see why he shouldn't be retained.

When it comes to Jim Campen I don't know why he wouldn't be retained. He's a guy who's come up the assistant ranks in GB for a reason, he's doing something right. In his first year as OL coach there haven't been any problems. A lot of guys have had career years. Josh Sitton has developed into an elite player in his watch, Bryan Bulaga progressed all year and played great in the playoffs for a rookie, Wells and Colledge had career years, etc. Again, as a fan I only know what's on the surface for me to see, I don't see anything wrong with Campen from my view. For the players we have, the way we use them, I think everything is fine.

When it comes to Slocum, it's so hard to know. I think Ted Thompson really likes him. We all know Ted doesn't mind letting go of a guy he doesn't like. Slocum has had mixed results and has gotten hammered recently because quite honestly we don't have much else to complain about. I think Slocum is liked on the staff as well. If anyone here goes to TC or early practices, they know Slocum pretty much runs the team on those days and organizes everything on the field, he's like a drill-sergeant.

When it comes to Slocum i'm pretty relaxed. We haven't had an elite kicker, and the punting situation has just been dumb luck that some teams deal with. It's hard to find good ones and we've been in a rut, nothing new around the league. We had a potentially great returner in Will Blackmon who's career pretty much ended due to injury, again, bad luck.

When it comes to players, Slocum has dealt with since 2006 a complete roster overhaul, a complete shift in defensive personnel, a very young roster, and in 2010 a complete travesty in terms of injury. His unit was changing weekly, his ST's starters were with him one week and with Joe Philbin/Dom Capers the next, and his ST'ers were coming off the waiver-wire. It's hard to build a unit that way.

You can argue nobody in football has had a more difficult 5 year ST run than Slocum on terms of things happening out of his control.

I wouldn't mind if he comes back, I wouldn't be peeved if he were fired.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FREAKING Justin Harrell!!!!! I would have said Bush last year at this time but I'm going to leave him alone since he did have a pretty decent year.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Slocum has to go. I get real tired of every kickoff watching the other team get to to 35-40 yard line, while we struggle to get to the twenty. Take back one punt return in that first Chicago game and we probably would have won the division instead of having to play 3 on the road.

But the punter did a REAL nice job this year.

OP
OP
P

PackersATW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's pretty difficult to tell if a strength and conditioning coach should be fired. As fans we really don't know anything about what goes into that job, and we know injuries are mostly a completely random event. Players can't always help what happens if their knee buckles or if a player lands on their leg. We could keep the same coach and have 5 guys on IR next year in my opinion. Unless there's a legit flaw in what he does I don't see why he shouldn't be retained.

When it comes to Jim Campen I don't know why he wouldn't be retained. He's a guy who's come up the assistant ranks in GB for a reason, he's doing something right. In his first year as OL coach there haven't been any problems. A lot of guys have had career years. Josh Sitton has developed into an elite player in his watch, Bryan Bulaga progressed all year and played great in the playoffs for a rookie, Wells and Colledge had career years, etc. Again, as a fan I only know what's on the surface for me to see, I don't see anything wrong with Campen from my view. For the players we have, the way we use them, I think everything is fine.

When it comes to Slocum, it's so hard to know. I think Ted Thompson really likes him. We all know Ted doesn't mind letting go of a guy he doesn't like. Slocum has had mixed results and has gotten hammered recently because quite honestly we don't have much else to complain about. I think Slocum is liked on the staff as well. If anyone here goes to TC or early practices, they know Slocum pretty much runs the team on those days and organizes everything on the field, he's like a drill-sergeant.

When it comes to Slocum i'm pretty relaxed. We haven't had an elite kicker, and the punting situation has just been dumb luck that some teams deal with. It's hard to find good ones and we've been in a rut, nothing new around the league. We had a potentially great returner in Will Blackmon who's career pretty much ended due to injury, again, bad luck.

When it comes to players, Slocum has dealt with since 2006 a complete roster overhaul, a complete shift in defensive personnel, a very young roster, and in 2010 a complete travesty in terms of injury. His unit was changing weekly, his ST's starters were with him one week and with Joe Philbin/Dom Capers the next, and his ST'ers were coming off the waiver-wire. It's hard to build a unit that way.

You can argue nobody in football has had a more difficult 5 year ST run than Slocum on terms of things happening out of his control.

I wouldn't mind if he comes back, I wouldn't be peeved if he were fired.

To be fair Slocum only gets credit since 2009, he was assistant before that. I just don't see much that points towards a winning special teams unit going forward judging by his past work here.

As far as Campen is concerned, I think the offensive line is actually overated. Sitton is a very good player but we did give up 38 sacks and as recently as the Falcons playoff game Rodgers bailed them out of several would be sacks. The O-line is probably a Top 10 pass blocking unit but a bottom 10 run blocking group.

Thompson's picks have made much greater impact across the board on the team except the line. The bottom line is that with Campen coaching them up our line can't be counted on to get a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 against a top tier defensive line. He has had 5 years to improve but they have not in this aspect.

With the Super Bowl it has been proven that McCarthy's offense can win without a short yardage running game. But if you could find an upgrade for Campen I would think you'd consider making a change. Probably not gonna happen, but I feel an argument could be made to do it. I suppose I'm in the minority on this one though!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Super Bowl it has been proven that McCarthy's offense can win without a short yardage running game. But if you could find an upgrade for Campen I would think you'd consider making a change. Probably not gonna happen, but I feel an argument could be made to do it. I suppose I'm in the minority on this one though!

how sick would it have been to get Bruce Mathews to coach our OLine?

Members online

Latest posts