It's the end of the season and you're..

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, time to stratigize, the season isn't over but lets say Rodgers comes back against Detroit, however though the Packers fail to make the post season and end 9-7. If you're TT or MM what changes would you be making during the offseason?

Me, the strength and conditioning coaches are gone wayy to many injuries over the past several years, Capers gone, trade a few players that the team can go with out so that during the draft and there after we will have plenty of cap space.
Players: keep Matt Flynn as a back-up or find a veteran during the off season and keep him. Darft real play makers on defense only after you hire a new DC. Obviously hire new strength and conditioning coaches, find a good DC coach, Lovie Smith for me would be on the list the Bears D was always good when he was there. And for the record, Lovie currently is not employed by any NFL team.

Last edited:

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm Mark Murphy (The head MM) I fire TT, possibly move the other MM up to GM and move someone into the coaching position maybe Greene, or go outside the organization.

Before you guys kill me for saying fire Ted, look at what he's done. Blew up the O-Line and hasn't successfully re-built it yet, drafted Justin Harrell, didn't pick up Vince Young soon enough to get him caught up to be a backup, drafted BJ Coleman. Sherrod was bad luck I'll give him that, but otherwise he's been more miss than hit, and it's just not in 1st rounders. While I will yes give some negative credit to Mc for not having a viable backup ready, I have to give Ted the lions share of this blame because to sorta steal a line from Parcells Ted is the one 'shop for the groceries'.

Capers and Slocum both go. I say keep Tolzien as the 3rd stringer for one more year with Flynn as primary backup. We'll need to draft a big play TE probably, and we need to start looking at ILB, AJ's either 30 or gonna be 30 by the start of next year, and we've only got a couple more productive years left. O-Line (Interior) needs to be addressed as well, and I'd love to see another BIG play receiver to go with Cobb and Jordy. (Not quite sold on Jones or Boykin and co.)

H

HardRightEdge

To start, I'm finally done with Capers. There, I've said it. I've come to the conclusion his disguises confuse his own players more than the opposition at this point. Even Burnett doesn't seem to know what's going on out there judging from his poor out-of-position play the last 2 weeks.

As for players, it's mostly too soon to tell. That's for the off season. But of two things I'm sure. I would not pay Raji any da*n $8 million per year and Newhouse is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hire people from this forum since they seem to know everything there is to know about pro football and how to run a team. :rolleyes:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sherrod was bad luck I'll give him that, but otherwise he's been more miss than hit

O-Line (Interior) needs to be addressed

How can anything be analyzed on Sherrod?? He hasnt played enough...

I think up until yesterday our line was doing pretty well...The switching they made worked...The run game was awesome, and Rodgers was performing up to a level we expect..

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Sky is falling.....The Sky is falling!!! We are one injury (Rodgers) away from being an 8-2 team. Stop circling the wagons! Although, as I have been saying for a few years......Capers is ready to ride out into the sunset....Lovie is there for the asking and I think he would like nothing better to come coach for the Packers to prove the Bears were wrong for letting him go. PLEASE all you guys who chime in with "Lovie only runs a 4-3".......either Lovie will adapt or he will adapt the Packers, but anything is better then Capers and Lovie is a defensive god!

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Sky is falling.....The Sky is falling!!! We are one injury (Rodgers) away from being an 8-2 team. Stop circling the wagons! Although, as I have been saying for a few years......Capers is ready to ride out into the sunset....Lovie is there for the asking and I think he would like nothing better to come coach for the Packers to prove the Bears were wrong for letting him go. PLEASE all you guys who chime in with "Lovie only runs a 4-3".......either Lovie will adapt or he will adapt the Packers, but anything is better then Capers and Lovie is a defensive god!

That's a VERY interesting name to speculate about! I'd like that hire. And even if it somehow resulted in us going to the 4-3, we have the personnel to transition. Heck, it might be better for us since Perry hasn't made the transition that well. Neal is really a DE. The downside is that Clay isn't rushing the passer as much, unless he converts to an end. It's an interesting talking point, that's for sure.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't know what I'd change. If Aaron is healthy, this is a different team no doubt. But I do know I get tired of hearing announcers say; "There was breakdown in the Packers secondary." Whether it's the coaching or the players, I don't know. But it looks like the secondary is something that might need to be addressed in the off season or during training camp.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Darft real play makers on defense only after you hire a new DC.
I wonder why the Packers haven’t thought of that – please FedEx that suggestion to Thompson ASAP!!
If I'm Mark Murphy (The head MM) I fire TT, possibly move the other MM up to GM and move someone into the coaching position maybe Greene, or go outside the organization.
Brilliant. Promote McCarthy to a position for which he has no training or experience. And since Greene may not be ready for the DC spot, promote him to HC. Good Lord
Before you guys kill me for saying fire Ted, look at what he's done.
His teams have made the playoffs in 5 of his 8 seasons as GM and his team won the title. Yes, by all means, look at what he’s done.

The only change I’d make at this point is letting/forcing Capers to retire. A new DC wouldn’t be a cure-all but I think fresh blood is needed at DC. Oh, and definitely draft some playmakers – and I’ll go a step farther than Zeck180 – I would have them draft play makers on both sides of the ball. Hey, I know, how about drafting all pro bowlers. Wonder why Thompson and staff haven’t thought of that? :confused:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First I thank God that some of the posters here are not in decision making positions with the Packers.

2nd - I give TT an extension. 20 years $100M. If he doesn't sign right away, I double it.

3rd - I discuss with MM about who should be the DC. Something is wrong with the defense. 2010 the Packers played better than what they were on defense and since then they have under-performed Not sure why, but something needs to change. It wouldn't be Lovie, but I would look for someone with a 3-4 mentality to take over.

4th - I hire an expert on sports injuries to come in and make some recommendations. Maybe I hire some assistants from more injury teams to come in and provide some ideas.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before you guys kill me for saying fire Ted, look at what he's done.

That is perhaps the most asinine statement to support a Fire TT statement. We won SB XLV and are perennial SB contenders. We've been absolutely decimated with injuries 3 out of the past 4 seasons and, still, have remained competitive until our QB went down.

Also, in case that doesn't refute your argument, would you rather be Atlanta? A team with a franchise QB made big moves like trading a ton of draft picks for Julio Jones, spent big on O-lineman, spent big on that terrible DE from Minnesota (drawing a blank on his name), and spent on S. Jax. Because of their aggressiveness (the anti-TT moves), it's a team that saw its window close fast and is back to rebuilding mode, especially for that defense. One playoff victory for their troubles and multiple losses at home as the conference number 1 seed.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're not a perennial Superbowl contender. We went 15-1-1 in '11. In '12 we got our A**ES handed to us by Frisco on their turf, partially because of our D, but also partially because our QB doesn't play well in Frisco (Not Ted's fault, though I do think drafting smarter Defensive players coulda helped the first part)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

We're not a perennial Superbowl contender. We went 15-1-1 in '11. In '12 we got our A**ES handed to us by Frisco on their turf, partially because of our D, but also partially because our QB doesn't play well in Frisco (Not Ted's fault, though I do think drafting smarter Defensive players coulda helped the first part)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I want after the season is accountability. I don't want the "hand holding, we're in this together, we are loyal to this staff bs". Lovat has got to go. Capers and whomever is coaching the defensive backs have got to go. They simply have not gotten the job done. I don't want excuses I want results.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm ready to pop the Dom Perignon (pronounced..."Dom....you're gone"!) If the Defense stinks it up again VS the Queens, I think the door is wide open for this to happen before the end of the season!

OP
OP
Zeck180

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.either Lovie will adapt or he will adapt the Packers, but anything is better then Capers and Lovie is a defensive god!
Funny isn't it, the Bears D was good when Lovie was there, now he's gone and their D sucks.

First I thank God that some of the posters here are not in decision making positions with the Packers.
This is all spouting our wild ideas.

2nd - I give TT an extension. 20 years $100M. If he doesn't sign right away, I double it.
Thomas is 60 years old BTW.

4th - I hire an expert on sports injuries to come in and make some recommendations. Maybe I hire some assistants from more injury teams to come in and provide some ideas.
Course though players over time trust those who help them overcoming injuries, but bringing in experts maybe to help out wouldn't be bad at all.

-------------
If Capers go and would be a mistake that he doesn't hopefully Thomson and Murphy would at lest put Lovie on the list of DC contenders. Think Pittsburgh would let go of **** LeBeau however unlikely that is?;)

McCarthy isn't bad as a play caller he's been a OC coach for years, but like we all know he's too conservative when calling plays and becomes to predicable (rush, rush, pass, repeat).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is all spouting our wild ideas.
Some are wild, some are just plain foolish.
Thomas is 60 years old BTW.
Who's Thomas?

I wouldn't actually sign TT to that kind of contract, but I would extend him for how ever long he wants. We are much closer to signing him to such a contract than to firing him.

If TT was fired, he would have 30 offers within the hour. When TT picks a new lucky team: the team's fan would be cheering exuberantly; dancing in the streets; and laughing at the Packers for the foolishness of letting the best GM in football go.

OP
OP
Zeck180

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't actually sign TT to that kind of contract, but I would extend him for how ever long he wants. We are much closer to signing him to such a contract than to firing him.

If TT was fired, he would have 30 offers within the hour. When TT picks a new lucky team: the team's fan would be cheering exuberantly; dancing in the streets; and laughing at the Packers for the foolishness of letting the best GM in football go.
He was just re-sign back in 2011, I believe . Thomson was trained by Wolf, when he decides to retire it would be in the best interest for the franchise to hire one of his more senior assistance's, or hire some one completely new with different ideas that can work.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will be fine. I would really likes us to draft A.J. McCarron though. Groom him for years, and also would give the Packers a very good QB if Aaron goes down again.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will be fine. I would really likes us to draft A.J. McCarron though. Groom him for years, and also would give the Packers a very good QB if Aaron goes down again.
I don't think he will hang around long enough for the Packers to get him and I can't imagine they would burn the 1st round pick on him. I like him but I just can't see it. I would like them to take his teammate ha-ha clinton-dix in the first round. He is the franchise free safety this team needs.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Get our offensive line healthy for next year. Losing Bulaga was a big blow. We need to do something so that Newhouse doesn't ever have to be on the field while the outcome of a game is still in doubt.
2) Get serious about backup QB. QB is the most important position on the field, and you don't just grab any old backup off the scrap heap with a few days to go before the season starts, ala Seneca Wallace.
3) I'd be fine with sending Capers to retirement. Question is: who do you get that's better? I don't believe in firing a coach because you're disappointed. You fire a coach when you can identify an upgrade.
4) Draft a stud or two for the defensive backfield. Watching Chicago's backup QB toss the ball to tall wide receivers in the corners of the endzone was very painful.
5) Upgrade at tightend through draft or free agency in case Jermichael can't come back.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt its end of season my bold prediction will stand true but if worse happens ( Which has 0% of happening)

1.Clean up O-line. Get rid of Newhouse,Deside if Sherod can play again,Draft some O-line men late in the draft.

2.Fire Dom Capers he has been a Liability for far too long. Bring in someone else that can do 3-4 or change back to 4-3.

3.Clean house with Strength and Conditioning. Fire Lovat and company. This team gets pulled hamstrings too easly. This team isnt tough.

4.Pick up a solid replacement for Safety. We never did find a replacement for Nick Collins and Cullen Jenkins.

5.Get rid of Tramon Williams the dude sucks. He can easily get beat and is the spot of liability in the secondary.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've watched McCarron, more impressed with Montana's kid who plays for Tulane or Tommy Rees from ND

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We've been in the divisional round or further every year the last 3 years. We haven't missed the playoffs since '08. The year before that we were in the NFC Championship game. Yes, we are perennial Super Bowl contenders. Perennial Super Bowl contenders doesn't mean you're going to go to the NFC Title game every year. Don't be blinded by the play the last 3 weeks without our star QB and many, many other key players.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Get our offensive line healthy for next year. Losing Bulaga was a big blow. We need to do something so that Newhouse doesn't ever have to be on the field while the outcome of a game is still in doubt.
2) Get serious about backup QB. QB is the most important position on the field, and you don't just grab any old backup off the scrap heap with a few days to go before the season starts, ala Seneca Wallace.
3) I'd be fine with sending Capers to retirement. Question is: who do you get that's better? I don't believe in firing a coach because you're disappointed. You fire a coach when you can identify an upgrade.
4) Draft a stud or two for the defensive backfield. Watching Chicago's backup QB toss the ball to tall wide receivers in the corners of the endzone was very painful.
5) Upgrade at tightend through draft or free agency in case Jermichael can't come back.

Number 1: I agree, though we do need to upgrade on the interior line.

Number 2: I think Tolzien can do the job for a couple more years until a viable option is ready, but I do agree we at least have to stand pat with either Tolzien or maybe even Flynn. We can't downgrade again.

Number 3: I think Kevin Greene could do it, as well as current Notre Dame DC Bob Diaco

Number 4: Agree here but don't know who to look at.

Number 5: Agree, and the guy I would've loved to get was drafted by Cincy earlier this year, don't know that there's a real stud to replace Finley this year in the draft or FA.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts