Its Preseason yes...but

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...what is the preseason. It's time to evaluate. Evaluation of the team, the players, new plays, coaches, etc...The hardest part of this particular presaeson is the fact that we're going into the 4th game without having announced the starters at LB's, DL, DB's, and OL. Without the core guys working in conjunction of each other it's harder to build that chemistry with the guy next to you. This is especially evident in our OL. I'm surprised that they haven't had this nailed down before the third game. It comes as a no brainer that we did so poorly against NE due to the fact that these guys have no idea where they stand as far as roster spot. At this period of preseason they need to know in order for the cohesion to be built on. It's also harder to tweak and tune when major parts of the vehicle are missing( i.e. Jackson and Hunt, Bubba ). We'll hopefully be ready for the season but we're at least a week behind due to this continual evaluation.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Whitticker should've been awarded a spot in the starting lineup after his performance against Buffalo. But would that have allowed him to play better against New England? It's hard to say. He did say something afterwards about trying to be too perfect out there so he could win the starting job, so maybe there's some truth to this.

At least Collins and Roman have secured their starting positions. Injuries have really messed up the whole process of finding starters this year.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're trying to tweak a lot . . . but they still looked like complete crap. I know its preseason . . . but we look downright dismal compared to the rest of the contenders. Yes we played the superbowl champs . . . but we still got crushed in every aspect of the game. I am holding out hope that once in a cohesive unit that things will gel . . . but I have also begun preparing myself for the worst so it does not come as a big surprise.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I thought Whitticker should've been awarded a spot in the starting lineup after his performance against Buffalo. But would that have allowed him to play better against New England? It's hard to say. He did say something afterwards about trying to be too perfect out there so he could win the starting job, so maybe there's some truth to this.

At least Collins and Roman have secured their starting positions. Injuries have really messed up the whole process of finding starters this year.

If Whitt can't handle the pressure of earning a starting spot, then how do you think he'll hold up under the pressure of the regular season?? or the playoffs for that matter??

Part of evaluating a player is to see how they perform under pressure. Hawkins was lighting it up earlier in TC, but then gave up a TD due to his poor positioning. He's had trouble bouncing back since then. These guys have to be able to put the bad and good plays behind them to move forward quickly. If you don't have that mental toughness then you're not going to last.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whittacker has done far better than anyone would have expected, we should be very happy with that, as it bodes well for the future. If he does prove good enough to be a starter this year that will be a real bonus for us. As a rookie he should get noticeably better each week and quite a bit better by the end of the year. Granted there will most likely be a set back or two, but that is part of the growing process.

Members online

Latest posts