It's official, MS extended

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers Announce Extension For Head Coach Mike Sherman

posted 08/23/2005

Mike Sherman

The Green Bay Packers have signed Executive Vice President and Head Coach Mike Sherman to a two-year contract extension, through the 2007 season. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, made the announcement Tuesday.

"I'm delighted that Mike Sherman will be staying on as our head coach for an extended period," Thompson said. "Both he and I share common ground in that we have great passion for the Green Bay Packers.

"After I re-joined the Packers this past January, I believed it was important to take some time to make sure that things were going well with the new organizational structure before any long-term decisions were made relative to the head coaching position. From my perspective there was no timetable, but that didn't necessarily mean that something wouldn't get done.

"After taking this time, I am comfortable with the manner in which things are operating. Mike Sherman's record as a head coach speaks for itself. Equally important is that we have forged a strong, working relationship since my return to the organization."

Sherman in 2005 could post a sixth consecutive winning season. Since the 1993 collective bargaining agreement, NFL teams have changed coaches 84 times and only Sherman's tenure has produced winning seasons in each of its first five years. Currently, Andy Reid (2000-04) is the only other coach with an active streak of five or more winning campaigns.

And, over their first five regular seasons as an NFL coach, since 1970 only Chuck Knox, George Seifert, Joe Gibbs and Mike Ditka have produced better records than Sherman (53-27, .663).

Having led the Packers to four straight playoff berths and three consecutive NFC North titles, Sherman will jockey with Mike Martz for the best division record among active coaches. Sherman and Martz each own a 25-9 (.735) regular-season mark against division foes. Sherman also:
* This Nov. 27 at Philadelphia, will attempt to improve his unblemished mark against defending Super Bowl finalists. He's 6-0 all-time, with wins in 2001 over Baltimore and the N.Y. Giants, in 2002 over New England, in 2003 over Tampa Bay and Oakland, and in 2004 over Carolina.
* Has guided Green Bay to three of its six winning records on the road over the past 36 seasons, including last year's 6-2 mark away from home - Green Bay's best since 1972.
* Owns a 20-4 regular-season record (.833) Dec. 1 or later - best in the NFL the past five seasons - including a perfect 4-0 in both 2000 and 2003 (the Packers have a plus-28 turnover ratio in those 24 games).

Named the 13th head coach in franchise history Jan. 18, 2000, by (then) general manager Ron Wolf, Sherman grew up as a Packers fan. A 27-year veteran of the profession, he has coached at every level - high school, college and in the NFL - having launched his collegiate coaching career in 1981 at the University of Pittsburgh.

He and his wife, Karen, are very active in the Northeastern Wisconsin community.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, 66. I'm glad they signed him because it's sets the players at ease and it's not something hanging over everyone's heads to start the season. But, if they start out poorly and are losing to teams like the Lions or Bears, he'll be gone before the end of the year. Best case scenario, Sherman proves that his GM role was a hinderance and he turns out to be a great -coach- either way, I think it was a good move.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to our local paper, MS didn't get his contract extended, and was very surprised when he heard that the information was published in the Green Bay paper. All he said was that there were some talks between his agent and the Packers. Wonder who is right? :?: :?:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this will put an end to the idiotic talk that Sherman isn't a good coach. TT has watched him handle the team enough to know. My guess is the Sherman haters next target will be TT.

People hate when they are wrong and some of you guys (I won't mention names) have been wrong with every post you make.

Members online

Latest posts