It's OFFICIAL: Bob Sanders our new DC.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The nice part about it is that the D probably won't change all that much so the guys won't have to learn something new for the 4th year in a row.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Jerry Gray was the best DC out there, but Bob Sanders was definitely the best fit. It would have been ridiculous to change the system again. I think the D will be alright next year. Not top 10, but alright.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Now we can really see Nick Barnett flourish! ... He can finally focus on something other than a new scheme this off season.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
You are right, Gary might have been the best, but Sanders was the best fit. But here is the thing, do we go for continuity, or bring the best guy who will be around for a while in order to implement his way and system. I think this move gives us the best chance to win NOW.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a short bio on Bob Sanders-- He is a carryover from former DC Jim / Mike Sherman's staff. From sports writer Pete Dougherty of The Green Bay Press-Gazette-quote" Sanders 52 has never been a Defensive coordinator in the NFL but is highly regarded for his work as an assistant with Bates last season and for four years with the Miami Dolphins. From 1991 to 2000, Sanders was assistant defensive coordinator, co defensive coordiator, or asssistant head coach at University of Florida.." unquote. ---As fellow Packer posters on this topic have said--The right fit as DC with Packers. Packers need continuity at this defensive coaching position. he wiil provide the stability the Packer defense need which has gone through their fourth change at DC in four years.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The right fit as DC with Packers. Packers need continuity at this defensive coaching position. he wiil provide the stability the Packer defense need which has gone through their fourth change at DC in four years.

PWT - I think this is a good hire also for the continuity! However, I think there are a few players on our team who fit the mold of a 3-4 base defense. I think all of the tweener D-lineman we have would bode well rotating on the front line in the 3-4. Brady Poppinga would excel as an OLB, but I'm not sure if KGB and Montgomery could play the other OLB position. Barnett is a stud, and could play any LB position on the field.

But, it looks as if we will stay with the 4-3, which will bring us to the draft. I think the future of Kampmann will decide if we draft Mario or Hawk. If Kampy gets signed I think we take Hawk. Either way our defense improves.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to see you here DakotaT. I'm glad they kept someone with knowledge of Bates system. Maybe we'll see a huge jump in Barnett's game even though I think very high of him, the guy's basically had to learn a new system every year. Now, hopefully with the same system, the defense can really gel and improve upon a pretty good year defensively.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with several posters that he is a good fit and the system will change only slighly as Sanders puts his signature on the D.

I hope the defence continues to improve and that we draft a DE or LB in the first round.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow...do i see everyone so far agreeing on this pick for DC??? This has to be the first move made by the Packers this off season that everyone finds some common ground on. WOW:D

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like all the hirings so far, mccarthy obviously being most questionable. the OC and DC choices are really good i think. Sucks we couldnt get bates, but we got Bates Jr (at least from the sound of it, might as wel call him that)

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason that everyone agrees with the pick is because we didn't want to see our defensive success from last season leave with Bates. Had Bates been hired as HC, then it stands to reason that Sanders would have gotten the DC job.

I'm somewhat happy with the decision, but concerned about a repeat of a past failure. A couple years ago when Donatell was fired, Sherman promoted Slowick to DC (a Donatell assistant) so that we could keep the same defensive scheme with supposedly minor changes. Slowick had the same base scheme, but added a lot of complexity that never worked well, leading to an aweful defense in 2004.

I hope that Sanders does not follow the same mistakes that Slowick made and instead truly retains the same defense with minor changes. Of course we will see changes as Sanders puts his mark on the defense, let's just make those changes for the better.

GO PACK GO!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
Wow...do i see everyone so far agreeing on this pick for DC??? This has to be the first move made by the Packers this off season that everyone finds some common ground on. WOW:D

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I think everybody agreed that Bates would have been a better choice. This may be the next best thing though!

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a little worried, but mainly because I get nervous during a time of change. What am I nervous about? I am nervous that the reason that Bates is a success is because he knows how to teach, coach and inspire. It is not necessarily his Defensive scheme. Is Sanders the same type of coach?

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
I am a little worried, but mainly because I get nervous during a time of change. What am I nervous about? I am nervous that the reason that Bates is a success is because he knows how to teach, coach and inspire. It is not necessarily his Defensive scheme. Is Sanders the same type of coach?
This is exactly what I was thinking and had planned on posting (or thereabouts) before getting to your post ;).

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“Actually, Ted has been in contact with Brett throughout this, and I’ve been on a little bit of a whirlwind,â€

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is in a Whirlwind? This makes me nervous too. A good administrator/coach should be able to multi-task. Again, I am sure I am worrying too much about a minor thing.

Can you imagine anyone not feeling they are in a whirlwind when they have just become HC of the greatest franchise in the NFL and they have to fill out a coaching staff and learn who the players are and get ready for the draft and all the other little details that go along with the job.

This whole thing gives multi-tasking a new definition.

The man is driven or he wouldn't be where he is.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Can you imagine anyone not feeling they are in a whirlwind when they have just become HC of the greatest franchise in the NFL and they have to fill out a coaching staff and learn who the players are and get ready for the draft and all the other little details that go along with the job.

This whole thing gives multi-tasking a new definition.

The man is driven or he wouldn't be where he is."

I agree yooperfan but let's look at the situation. MM has a three year contract. He better produce pretty quickly. He SAYS he wants Brett back. If that's the case then Brett can very well determine his future. Why wouldn't you at least call the guy between hiring interviews? The only answer I can think of, and yes it is speculation, is that he has been instructed by TT not to contact Brett.

This is not a slam against TT....maybe he feels Brett will react better if left alone for awhile. But like I said before....Brett has alaways been a coach's player, probably because his dad was a lifelong coach. I'm sure he would like to shoot the **** with his prospective new head coach.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If TT can tell MM not to contact Brett, surely same could be said they did contact Brett, but they have not told the media...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I recall reading, most believe that the longer it takes Brett to make his decision, the more likely it is that he'll return. If the organization pushes Favre for an answer, then he's more likely to just respond by retiring.

From that I think the best approach is what Sherman has done the last couple of years -- stay in contact with Brett, but don't discuss retirement. Favre knows that the organization needs him to decide his future soon and doesn't need to be reminded of that fact. Hopefully TT is taking the same approach.

The Packers don't necessarily need a decision until the start of the FA period. That's when TT would hopefully hunt down an experienced QB to backup Rodgers or decide to keep Nall. It would also give him a chance to find more competition for Rodgers.

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does it matter if Brett says yes or no at this time? What would change? I don't think TT would change anything. He liked Rogers well enough to waste the pick last year. You either start Brett or Rogers. Everyone is so concerned with Brett and wanting his decsion right now. I don't see why it matters.

I want Brett back and think he gives us the best chance to win. But I thought the same thing about MS. Part of me thinks that TT doesn't really care if he comes back. Not that he has ever said anything like that. Just my opinion.

As far as new DC...I like it for the reasons mentioned above by everyone.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying anybody is pushing Brett out or Brett needs somebody to come see him. I'm saying that I find it odd that MM hasn't found the time to even pick up the phone and talk to the guy that he wants to run his offense and the guy that may make or break his future.

If you friggin' TT protectionist can't see that then please uninsert your head from your collective arses.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
krd005 said:
What does it matter if Brett says yes or no at this time? What would change? I don't think TT would change anything. He liked Rogers well enough to waste the pick last year. You either start Brett or Rogers. Everyone is so concerned with Brett and wanting his decsion right now. I don't see why it matters.
First of all, where is Rodgers a wasted pick? TT would have been crazy not to take him when he fell in our laps with Brett being year to year.

Secondly, it would only make sense for MM to get his staff in order and at least take the time to get how he wants to get where he wants to go somewhat in order before talking to Brett. Otherwise, what's he got to talk about? "Well Brett, I don't know who this guy is going to be but you can be assured were going to do better in that area than last year". Geez, that would have a lot of merit for Brett to chew on.

Brett knows what MM has on his plate and I am sure he would want MM's staff in place and his plans to make this team successful lined out
before there would be anything to talk about.

IMO, what Brett wants to know is if the Pack is willing to go to FA and fix the problems they have at the guard position so they have a chance to be successful next year or if they are going to rebuild the "0" line thru the draft. I doubt he has an interest lining up behind a "work in progress". They didn't fix the problem last year and he suffered royally for it.
They've already committed to improving the run game so to me what Brett want's to know is how they are going to get there and when.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just what we needed: ANOTHER Brett Favre thread.

Getting back to the main subject, the Sanders hire looks good to me. My only reservation is that they say his personality is much more subdued than Bates' personality. I think a lot of Bates' success is because of his emotional leadership style. If Sanders continues the scheme without the emotion, the performance of the defense could drop off. But probably we'll be okay.

Latest posts