It is what it is...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost, and to be honest that's the bottom line of everything, however to come away from that game without feeling better about some key facets of our team makes me wonder if I was watching the same game as some of you.

I for one was shocked how our OL held up all day, yes Rodgers was pressured at times but for the most part our inexperienced and 2nd string built OL held it's own against possibly one of the strongest front 7 in the NFL. How can one not feel good about that? Yes, Sitton especially seemed to utilize holding more than the needed amount :D, but I foresee only improvement out of this group!

Eddie Lacy, ah what could have been. Honestly at least from my couch it seemed once he fumbled and the atrocious (shouldn't have been 3rd down) touchdown occurred due to it, he seemed to run with more purpose and I feel if healthy he will be enough run to compliment our pass and will be there to grind games out hopefully in the future.

Capers, everyone get off of his freaking back. Why did the 49ers carve the D so much? Well when you are down arguably your best two in the secondary (Heyward and Burnett) and forced to play Bush (pure Special Teamer) your secondary is gonna be weak, and due to a weak secondary it makes blitzing/creating pressure tougher all around because you simply can't risk doing it too much. I guess my question is what would you have done? It's simply way too easy and arm-chair-esq to simply say "I'd turn up the pressure" "Force Kap to the ground" "Tighten up the coverage"...

Who cares though at this point, like Rodgers said "We're 0-1, and now we go home" or something similar, and that's true. GB lost, sits 0-1 and tied at the bottom of the division...after one week. After a week we hung with a ridiculously strong team, showed glimpses of solid OL protection with a young line, our D shut down the run game and Rodgers proved throughout the game why he's the best in the game (Nelson was a beast for him).

So, week 2 predictions? :D

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Sitton got called for holding 2 times I believe, once he did hold, but that 2nd call was bullsh*t.....his hands were on the inside of the defenders pads and he was driving the defender backwards, a total BS call.

I have an HD DVR and was rewinding and watching how many times CM3 got held and they didn't call it, it was a total of 6 TIMES. How the fu*k do you miss that 6 times?

AND NO....I wont get off capers back, he made NO adjustments to us getting burned.....what is the harm in trying if the sh*t we are doing aint working? Why so little man to man coverage? Kap ran out of bounds while being chased for a lose of 2 yards due to finding nobody open.....why....looked like we switched to man coverage.....seemed to work...why not mix that in more often?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colin Kaepernick is very, very good. Scary good. Add to that the fact that SF has dominating offensive and defensive lines and you can see why they'll be favored in every game they play this year, assuming they stay healthy. If we stop them on 3rd down on their last drive I like our chances to win it at the end. Very good game.

12theTruth

The offensive line was better than I expected but saying they held their own is stretching it quite a bit. They played a role in the 5 or 6 three downs and out that we had. We basically couldn't run the ball outside of a few nice Eddie Lacy runs in the 3rd quarter. I'd be curious to know the QB pressures the 49ers had. I do know they had 2 sacks.

Since the Capers and the Packers couldn't stop the 49ers on 3rd down, they once again dominated the time of possession. And for Boldin not to be double teamed on that last 4th and 2 completion is inexcusable.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton got called for holding 2 times I believe, once he did hold, but that 2nd call was bullsh*t.....his hands were on the inside of the defenders pads and he was driving the defender backwards, a total BS call.

I have an HD DVR and was rewinding and watching how many times CM3 got held and they didn't call it, it was a total of 6 TIMES. How the fu*k do you miss that 6 times?

AND NO....I wont get off capers back, he made NO adjustments to us getting burned.....what is the harm in trying if the sh*t we are doing aint working? Why so little man to man coverage? Kap ran out of bounds while being chased for a lose of 2 yards due to finding nobody open.....why....looked like we switched to man coverage.....seemed to work...why not mix that in more often?

I agree with everything you stated except partly the last section...it seemed rare we could hold coverage long enough to get pressure to Kap, it was a rare occasion you described. However, I do not know percentage wise how often we did Man vs. zone style...could definitely change some thoughts on my end...especially if compared between the two halves.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offensive line was better than I expected but saying they held their own is stretching it quite a bit. They played a role in the 5 or 6 three downs and out that we had. We basically couldn't run the ball outside of a few nice Eddie Lacy runs in the 3rd quarter. I'd be curious to know the QB pressures the 49ers had. I do know they had 2 sacks.

Since the Capers and the Packers couldn't stop the 49ers on 3rd down, they once again dominated the time of possession. And for Boldin not to be double teamed on that last 4th and 2 completion is inexcusable.

You're right an extremely young, inexperience line giving up just two sacks against an amazing front 7 isn't holding their own. I seriously expected 4 sack minimum from the 49ers with the line we had going in...they surprised me, we play a weaker D I'd venture to say Rodgers may have never been sacked. Pressure was there, but let's be honest a couple of those were at times the coverage was solid and time the ball was held was longer. Just my .02 that's worth a penny :D

12theTruth

You're right an extremely young, inexperience line giving up just two sacks against an amazing front 7 isn't holding their own. I seriously expected 4 sack minimum from the 49ers with the line we had going in...they surprised me, we play a weaker D I'd venture to say Rodgers may have never been sacked. Pressure was there, but let's be honest a couple of those were at times the coverage was solid and time the ball was held was longer. Just my .02 that's worth a penny :D

I'd did say they played better than I expected. I had the Packers only scoring 16 points.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd did say they played better than I expected. I had the Packers only scoring 16 points.

Yeah they did do better than expected against a tough team...while it's a loss it was one of those "good" losses some would argue.

Reaction score
And the fact that he was held on probably 4 or 5 3rd down conversions that lead to first downs.. How do they miss so many holding calls? They didn't even call ONE on them.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have much to add about the officiating. I understand the grumbling since the refs favored the home team. Playing on the road is tough. The extra down after the offsetting personal fouls was obnoxious but our coaching staff didn't catch the mistake either. To dwell on the officiating makes us look petty, though.

The offense moved the ball well and the line hung on against a tough defensive front. Still, the Niners dominated time of possession, 21:25 to 38:35. That's a big advantage for SF late in games.

I understand our efforts to establish the run, but we rely on the pass to set up the rush and, with our personnel, it's going to take more creativity to get our RBs the ball with space to work. Especially early in games. I miss Joe Philbin.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I don't have much to add about the officiating. I understand the grumbling since the refs favored the home team. Playing on the road is tough. The extra down after the offsetting personal fouls was obnoxious but our coaching staff didn't catch the mistake either. To dwell on the officiating makes us look petty, though.

The offense moved the ball well and the line hung on against a tough defensive front. Still, the Niners dominated time of possession, 21:25 to 38:35. That's a big advantage for SF late in games.

I understand our efforts to establish the run, but we rely on the pass to set up the rush and, with our personnel, it's going to take more creativity to get our RBs the ball with space to work. Especially early in games. I miss Joe Philbin.

Establish the run is good, no disagreement there, but the same damn "run up the middle" over and over for 1,2,3 yards? How about running a sweep or at the very least run off tackle?

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah- that's my point. We're finding ourselves behind on down-and-distance with these vanilla rushes between the tackles early in games.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AND NO....I wont get off capers back, he made NO adjustments to us getting burned.....
Okay, what would YOU have done differently. Be specific please, and explain how your adjustment wouldn't have compromised the defense in some other manner.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Okay, what would YOU have done differently. Be specific please, and explain how your adjustment wouldn't have compromised the defense in some other manner.

Add in a disguised blitz package here and there, for the most part Kap had all day to throw
switch to man to man coverage vs that soft zone that is full of holes
I didnt see any real bump and shove off the line on Boldin, he is having that good of a day, crowd his *** and get tough with him instead of playing him 5-7 yards off the ball.........

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a 1991 VCR, but that also helped me see how many times Clay Matthews flopped to the ground, only to get up with his hands in the air looking for a flag while the ball carrier was running towards the endzone. For sure he got held, but you lose something with the refs when you flop for flags. It isn't right for refs to look the other way, but it happens and there is no doubt in my mind that his behavior (and you can include the late hit) make the refs a little less sympathetic.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall I'm in the same boat as tynimiller. There were some frustrating things about the game, but we did go to San Fran and almost win. If we play that hard against most teams it's a win. Our offensive line held up reasonably well against a great defensive line, but they couldn't move the line of scrimmage to save their lives. After only a few runs, I was back to thinking that no back is going to solve our running game problems until our blocking (o-line, tight ends, and fullbacks) improves.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
After watching the game I was pretty pissed off about the outcome. Then as I sat down and thought about it I came to the conclusion that this is similar to the Falcons in 2010. I knew right after the game that they were beatable and if and when we seen them in the playoffs we would beat them. There was no epic *** whopping as I've read on NFL.com by 9'er fans. We made mistakes that can be corrected. They gave us their absolute best and barely won. I am completely optimistic we will win the division as the Bears still Suck, Vikings are weak at QB and the Lions always implode. Our focus is too win our division then see those *** wipes in the playoffs.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the game I was pretty pissed off about the outcome. Then as I sat down and thought about it I came to the conclusion that this is similar to the Falcons in 2010. I knew right after the game that they were beatable and if and when we seen them in the playoffs we would beat them. There was no epic *** whopping as I've read on NFL.com by 9'er fans. We made mistakes that can be corrected. They gave us their absolute best and barely won. I am completely optimistic we will win the division as the Bears still Suck, Vikings are weak at QB and the Lions always implode. Our focus is too win our division then see those *** wipes in the playoffs.

Bringing up the 2010 Falcon game is a great example of how minimal a first week or even early season loss can matter. We shall see, it's true I do feel the 49ers played a much less flawed game then we did and barely escaped with the game...that says a lot...actually SCREAMS A LOT!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kaepernick went 27 of 39
Rodgers went 21 of 37

They caught a lot of his passes. Completion % made a big difference

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's still a loss of down. Kaepernick was getting it done

Dude, c'mon, the difference in difficulty of the throws Rodgers had to make vs. Kaepernick was clear to me. Kaepernick had much more time to throw, due largely to the defensive scheme to stop the run. Also, Kaep had guys wide open much more often. He rarely had to check down past Boldin and Davis. When he wanted to pass to them, he could.

Now that being said, Kaepernick is f--king good and of all the young QBs he may very well end up being the best. He has crazy good skills. But if you had Rodgers behind that OL? Comon, Rodgers would be unstoppable.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude, c'mon, the difference in difficulty of the throws Rodgers had to make vs. Kaepernick was clear to me. Kaepernick had much more time to throw, due largely to the defensive scheme to stop the run. Also, Kaep had guys wide open much more often. He rarely had to check down past Boldin and Davis. When he wanted to pass to them, he could.

Now that being said, Kaepernick is f--king good and of all the young QBs he may very well end up being the best. He has crazy good skills. But if you had Rodgers behind that OL? Comon, Rodgers would be unstoppable.

Alot of truth there.

Only one thing to add...

...alot of people site the 49ers offensive line and run game as huge reason for Kaeps success. That is of course true to an extent, but what really makes Kaep so scary is his ability to run the way he does. I'm not talking about him actually running either. I'm talking about his THREAT to run. Just as we saw on Sunday, teams end up playing unsound defense to prevent him from escaping the pocket. The problem with that is that it gives him more time in the pocket because the don't rush so hard. They try to corral him instead of just going to get him. His threat to run also creates issues with the LBs and DBs who have to come up to try and make a stop. It tends to freeze them in place.

IE, his THREAT to run all by itself creates time in the pocket and more defined looks in the pass game. Adding the line and the run game and you get what we have now....a guy with a career QB rating in the Rodgers stratosphere even tho he's only started 8 regular season games.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Colin Kaepernick is very, very good. Scary good. Add to that the fact that SF has dominating offensive and defensive lines and you can see why they'll be favored in every game they play this year, assuming they stay healthy. If we stop them on 3rd down on their last drive I like our chances to win it at the end. Very good game.

The Packers had a chance to stop them on 4th and 2 on their last drive before the two minute warning. As you said, make that stop and the chances were good for either a tying FG or winning TD by Rodgers & Co.

Packers played well. SF is a damned good team and it's tough to win as a visitor at the stick. I, for one, am not disappointed. I was predicting more of a blowout. I know everyone is focused on Kaep's 400+ yards throwing, but the Packers had the lead in the 4th quarter and had a reasonable chance to pull out a victory with one stop. I am ok with this.

Members online

Latest posts