It is as simple as this folks...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game and that is first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay and I never want to finish second again.
Vince Lombardi

To me, we have become too comfortable finishing anything but in FIRST.

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
Vince Lombardi

Reaction score
There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game and that is first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay and I never want to finish second again.
Vince Lombardi

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
Vince Lombardi
Most of us realize it is a rebuilding time, and this will bring growing pains with it.

We're willing to lower our expectations accordingly FOR THE TIME BEING.

We tried Sherman's way, and it got us our first playoff loss at Lambeau, a second round exit, and a home playoff loss to our division rival.

We are willing to accept a short term decline while we replenish the roster, with an eye on long term consistent contending. No more of the 1 and done crap.

Reaction score
You have to understand, the Bears, Chargers, and Saints GMs all went through 2-3 year periods of sub-par team performance and records before re-emerging as legit contenders.

We're hoping we take that route too....

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who says we arent trying to win. (pyle doesnt count) those quotes come off as though we dont care about winning. thats the ultimate goal in everyones eyes.. how we get there is the only difference.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince Lombardi

Vince Lombardi

Beautiful, spoken words of a genuis. This is all that ever needs to be said. You either win or you don't!

The people on this board don't subscribe to this kind of thinking. End of story

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Vince Lombardi

Vince Lombardi
Most of us realize it is a rebuilding time, and this will bring growing pains with it.

We're willing to lower our expectations accordingly FOR THE TIME BEING.

We tried Sherman's way, and it got us our first playoff loss at Lambeau, a second round exit, and a home playoff loss to our division rival.

We are willing to accept a short term decline while we replenish the roster, with an eye on long term consistent contending. No more of the 1 and done crap.

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who says we arent trying to win. (pyle doesnt count) those quotes come off as though we dont care about winning. thats the ultimate goal in everyones eyes.. how we get there is the only difference.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Show me a team in any sport that has constantly (every year) won since it's existence.

Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
Vince Lombardi

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Vince Lombardi

Vince Lombardi

Beautiful, spoken words of a genuis. This is all that ever needs to be said. You either win or you don't!

Yeah......we ALL are idiots that WANT the Packers to lose. Give me a break!
Lombardi left the Packers after Super Bowl 2. Even HE knew the run was over. All his best players were retired or over the hill. Even if Lombardi would have remained their coach after SB 2, there was NO way they were gonna win another one with the players they had. They would have been LUCKY to go .500. Plus, Lombardi didn't have to deal with a salary cap, or players that run off to greener pastures when someone offers them a better deal.
But hey......why let logic get in the way of a good hate?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Pack93z said:
Vince Lombardi

Vince Lombardi

Yeah......we ALL are idiots that WANT the Packers to lose. Give me a break!
Lombardi left the Packers after Super Bowl 2. Even HE knew the run was over. All his best players were retired or over the hill. Even if Lombardi would have remained their coach after SB 2, there was NO way they were gonna win another one with the players they had. They would have been LUCKY to go .500. Plus, Lombardi didn't have to deal with a salary cap, or players that run off to greener pastures when someone offers them a better deal.
But hey......why let logic get in the way of a good hate?

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing.

Reaction score
Ooohhh, good point about the Lombardi leaving at the end of 67.

I've read that there were articles that ripped the Packers collection of old talent, and stated their time had run out.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do resort to attempting to answer the question pyle.

I think cheesey makes a great point, Lombardi saw his run coming to an end and decided he had to move on too....
He doesn't HAVE an answer. There IS no answer. I once again foiled him with LOGIC!
So he can just keep quoting a quote that sounds great, but isn't realistic.
If it was that way in reality, then ONE team should have won ALL the Super Bowls, right?
You TRY to win every year, but i don't care WHO your coach is, who your players are, how much you WANT to win, NO ONE wins ALL the time.
THAT is reality.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think cheesey makes a great point, Lombardi saw his run coming to an end and decided he had to move on too....

Yes, because he knew he was doomed. Perhaps TT should do the same. Thompson needs to realize he's incompetent and move on for the sake of the organization.

There is a Lombardi Trophy but not a Thompson Trophy. There are Lombardi's words and then there is that mumbled bunch of garbage Ted spits out of his blowhole.

Lombardi made no excuses, Lombardi is god

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi is god.

tell me what Lombardi would do today, pyle... that would make Shermans mess into an instant superbowl team. and i swear to Lombardi, ill find a way to punch you directly in the ovaries, if you say that he would go out and buy up a bunch of Free Agents.

but i dont expect a response to any of that you will just whine like a baby and demand that the team go undefeated or else the GM sucks. and then when people talk sense, just throw quotes out like an adult would do. tool

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi is god.

tell me what Lombardi would do today, pyle... that would make Shermans mess into an instant superbowl team. and i swear to Lombardi, ill find a way to punch you directly in the ovaries, if you say that he would go out and buy up a bunch of Free Agents.

but i dont expect a response to any of that you will just whine like a baby and demand that the team go undefeated or else the GM sucks. and then when people talk sense, just throw quotes out like an adult would do. tool

Oh here we go with the 5th grade insults again. Grow up. Lombardi would do what he had to do to win. Lombardi would have landed Moss. Lombardi would admit his failures. Lombardi would punch you all in the mouth.

Excuse ridden, undriven and unmotivated people are not of Lombardi mold.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
So Lombardi walked away from the Packers because the run was over. Nevermind that he was a long-time sufferer of digestive tract problems and was in constant pain. Nevermind the details that the pain was severe enough to prevent him from sleeping normally and that he took to sleeping at Packer head quarters to help hide the fact he was sick.

Nevermind that finally after time they finally got him to go to the doctors, only to be diagnosed with intestinal cancer that lead to his death.

Yep the talent was declining and he decided to run from his post. Classic.

Debate things all you want but don't throw a legend under the bus doing it. Facts be damned.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, because he knew he was doomed. Perhaps TT should do the same. Thompson needs to realize he's incompetent and move on for the sake of the organization.

There is a Lombardi Trophy but not a Thompson Trophy. There are Lombardi's words and then there is that mumbled bunch of garbage Ted spits out of his blowhole.

Uh......Lombardi left when he knew it was over. So he didn't HAVE to make an excuse. He cut and ran. The man was a GREAT coach, no doubt. But the times are different. His ways wouldn't work in todays NFL. When a player asked for more money, he traded them. So.........Barnett wouldn't be here, Favre wouldn't have been here for 16 years, Driver would have been traded, and I could go on.
You are not giving TT a chance to prove himself either way, period.
Heck......Lombardi didn't win right away either. Had you been there when they hired him, you would have been screaming for his firing.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

Uh......Lombardi left when he knew it was over. So he didn't HAVE to make an excuse. He cut and ran. The man was a GREAT coach, no doubt. But the times are different. His ways wouldn't work in todays NFL. When a player asked for more money, he traded them. So.........Barnett wouldn't be here, Favre wouldn't have been here for 16 years, Driver would have been traded, and I could go on.
You are not giving TT a chance to prove himself either way, period.
Heck......Lombardi didn't win right away either. Had you been there when they hired him, you would have been screaming for his firing.

Perhaps you should read Pack93Z's brilliant post

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Lombardi walked away from the Packers because the run was over. Nevermind that he was a long-time sufferer of digestive tract problems and was in constant pain. Nevermind the details that the pain was severe enough to prevent him from sleeping normally and that he took to sleeping at Packer head quarters to help hide the fact he was sick.

Nevermind that finally after time they finally got him to go to the doctors, only to be diagnosed with intestinal cancer that lead to his death.

Debate things all you want but don't throw a legend under the bus doing it. Facts be damned.
I'm NOT saying he quit BECAUSE the team was going down the crapper. I'm saying he left at the time it was evident, and even HE couldn't have turned the team into SB contenders at that time. The team was doomed at that point, even HE couldn't have "willed" it into winning another championship.
Yes, he has some GREAT quotes. But they are not possible for ANYONE to achieve.
I don't appreciate how some think that just BECAUSE Lombardi wanted to win, that that was all it took for it too happen. Like if we get some GM in here that just WANTS to win, that the team will magically turn into instant winners. It doesn't happen for ANY team. It's not realistic to hold ANYONE to an unattainable standard.
I didn't mean to belittle Lombardi at all. I'm sorry it was taken that way.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

I'm NOT saying he quit BECAUSE the team was going down the crapper. I'm saying he left at the time it was evident, and even HE couldn't have turned the team into SB contenders at that time. The team was doomed at that point, even HE couldn't have "willed" it into winning another championship.
Yes, he has some GREAT quotes. But they are not possible for ANYONE to achieve.
I don't appreciate how some think that just BECAUSE Lombardi wanted to win, that that was all it took for it too happen. Like if we get some GM in here that just WANTS to win, that the team will magically turn into instant winners. It doesn't happen for ANY team. It's not realistic to hold ANYONE to an unattainable standard.
I didn't mean to belittle Lombardi at all. I'm sorry it was taken that way.

Well in your little tantrum you did insult him. You made no mention of the other circumstances surrounding his exit. You can go back on it now, but it is what it is.

Can every team win every game, evey year? Of course not. The point is TT is content with losing games now because it "may" benefit us in the future.

Lombardi didn't or wouldn't think that way. Lombardi was about winning. If TT is the same he is failing miserably

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is TT is content with losing games now because it "may" benefit us in the future.

Source? Oh yeah...

you know that as a fact cuz you know everything somehow.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I don't think the perfection is possible, and I don't believe that we can win each and every year.

But I do hope the we try to aim at the prize and not throw the season to a rebuilding one.

Maybe I need more patience :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts